Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
nissan st
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
PLEASE ADVISE ME I'm wanting to buy a patrol
Wanting to purchase a patrol as an allrounder vehicle- family - pleasure-business Love to go offroad with the family whether it be bush to beach but need advice on what size diesel would best suit my circumstances. I own a towing business and I am wanting to purchase a patrol for recovery work and also towing - On the towing side of things I am currently getting a trailer built to tow cars and 4x4's for a backup (and advertising) when the tiltslides out and about on other jobs.
Would a 4.2l turbo diesel have the guts dragged out of it if I were to head in this direction.

Regards Zolena ; ):rolleyes:

·
LED ZEPPELIN
1995 GQ TD42 NA
12,022 Posts
I'd be looking at dual cab F250s...

·
TD42 The God Of All Engines
nissan
429 Posts
my mate has a gq 4.2 naturally aspirated diesel with over 400 thousand on it rrunning 35's it tows but not very good but with a turbo it should be fine

·
Registered
nissan
1,260 Posts
I'd be looking at dual cab F250s...
+1 for the F250, I had an 02 with the 4.2 TD, Mine hauled weight all day everyday without missing a beat. But you could always go the 7.3 TD for a bit of extra grunt, but a fair bit more $ for the fuel bill. The only problem I found was a lot of my local tracks were a little tight for the old girl.

Photo taken at Fraser Island while on my honeymoon.

·
"Toxic Personality"
nissan
8,986 Posts
how about a dodge ram? get some cummins power happening. . . plenty of big-power modds cheap from the states.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
31 Posts
I own a GU 4.2TD and have had 3 patrols as company cars 2x n/a 4.2's and 1x td 4.2 The n/a i found to be a good strong motor but very very under powered i use to tow 2 ton regularly for work and at any sign of a incline it would mean 2nd or 3rd but the TD ewas alot better t would do it with more ease. I still do a fair bit of towing in minenboat, camper and tandem trailer normally full of fire wood it runs really well it normally holds gear going up big hills and sit confortablly on 100 no matter what weight i have behind her and still has plenty in reserve if needed but I do have the turbo wound up a tad for a bit more power but its not excessive. A 4.2TD would be my Pick I hope this helps good luck.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Get the New Navara instead- V6 and 3 tonne towing.
Seriously, The Patrol 3ltr is one of the best 4wd if your are into serious outback touring. The problem is It has its issues when you try and beef up the small 3ltr 4 cylinder engine, but you need to look at what type of 4wd you are going to do and your tar weight for towing

3 ltr Patrol, unless beefed up, will be under powered in my view
4.2 The same. Great motor, but gutless over 2 tonne

Look at other options as well

·
KICKEN BACK IN THE BUSH
nissan gq
4,690 Posts
Big asssss F Truck
Will tow 2 tonne and beyond effortlessley all day long
It really depends how often you think you MIGHT tow the wieght,
Remember a tandem trailer with a 4x4 on top will wiegh in excess of 3 Tonne,if not over 4 Tonne but you knew that

It really depends on your budget and what you REALLY want

1 - 10 of 10 Posts