Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys!

So I am about to buy my first off-roader ever. Unfortunately, I am quite new to Patrols and mechanics and in general a total noob so I might need some advice so I know at least I am getting a good deal (or maybe I should walk away)

Anyway. I am currenlty in Peru and I have found this already modded Nissan Patrol 1999 GU/Y61 with 189.000 KM on the clock and a TB45 petrol and gpl engine.

The owner is asking for 22,500 USD
. The car has tons of mods (most of which I want). There aren't many older Patrols on the market and this is one of the best I could find. I plan to inspect the vehicle with a mechanic on the 28th.

Do you think it is a good deal? How much would you pay for it or sell it for if it were yours? Would it be cheaper to find a stock Patrol and do the mods myself? I really don't want to go over 20K (plan to negotiate) and newer models or diesel engines are already selling at 15-20K stock.

I plan to take the vehicle on trips every weekend. Do lots of travels, some rock and mud. I will also be traveling South America for 4-6 months later so I want to have something good for then.

here is the link:

https://neoauto.com/auto/usado/nissan-patrol-2000-1582033

Here is a google based transalation of the posting desribing some of the add on:

For sale Nissan Patrol, very well maintained (interior, exterior, engine and box), air conditioning freezing, with all the extras you can imagine to travel throughout Peru without any problem: -Suspension of direction, springs and shock absorbers EFS -System of double dry battery in the back (not seen in the photos) -4 pentaxial speakers -01 flat woofer -01 digital amplifier -Pioneer equipment -Arb 73 liter refrigerator (the largest there is) with cover and original rails a order -Front ARB display to see the temperature of the refrigerator while driving -ARB marine connectors at the rear -Stainless steel drawer system that includes a cooker, water pool and gas bottle -Separation bars between passengers and rear compartment -Rigid rear led lights -52 cm curved led bar -Air filter intake -Electrical system for trailer braking -Yellow led lights and bumper hubs -18,000 lbs EFS winch with electric control - Ironman Tent roof with -Everything on the sides Ironman -Ironman rear awning -14 Glns water tank for consumption -Customized iron roof rack-Metal bumper- Customized iron ladder -02 ARB recovery boards -ARB double piston compressor -Hose and ARB electric pressure gauge -Mickey Thompson rims and tires -5th Gen. gas system with double tank on the bottom. Around there I forgot some more things, but as you can see in extras it has almost $ 20,000 in an eternal truck and one of the best there is to go all over Peru without problems ... may it fall into good hands, greetings

·
After Monday and Tuesday, even the calender says W
06 Td42ti coil cab chassis
16,755 Posts
Low k's and loads of extras..Sounds like a good thing depending on what your mechanic says.(y)

·
Registered
Nissan
417 Posts
Are there many of them over in Peru, have you looked into parts availability. Yeah if you plan to keep only short term make sure your not paying more than the resale value, in AUD 20k USD would be 25k, what model exactly are we talking? Y61

I would personally if not in hurry and there being other options and examples of similar vehicles, I would work away at the price by first making a way lower but not terribly offensive offer, walking away and thinking it over then if it still there go back and offer a grand or two more. But if it checks out well and there is nothing comparable might try strike a deal on the inspection day.

Basically you need to work it so you have no regrets later hopefully. If the dude has had it on market a good while he may take 15 k if your hard bargainer and start at 12. If your in any sus on the kilometers and the wear and tear or any other thing like blowing smoke etc, dont even make an offer just thank the dude for his time say you will think it over. If you ask me it's old and over priced for a TB45 but I'm not in Peru, I've been there great place to travel and get sick LOL.

(( 1999 GU TB45 in Australia sell under 10,000 aud, that's about 7,800 USD, but there are reasons for that as it's the least desirable engine they released IMO, and theres lot of them. 1999 is Series 1, earliest of the Y61's

These are cronic gas guzzlers, any diesels for sale?

Good luck with it

·
16,755 Posts
Are there many of them over in Peru, have you looked into parts availability. Yeah if you plan to keep only short term make sure your not paying more than the resale value, in AUD 20k USD would be 25k, what model exactly are we talking? Y61

I would personally if not in hurry and there being other options and examples of similar vehicles, I would work away at the price by first making a way lower but not terribly offensive offer, walking away and thinking it over then if it still there go back and offer a grand or two more. But if it checks out well and there is nothing comparable might try strike a deal on the inspection day.

Basically you need to work it so you have no regrets later hopefully. If the dude has had it on market a good while he may take 15 k if your hard bargainer and start at 12. If your in any sus on the kilometers and the wear and tear or any other thing like blowing smoke etc, dont even make an offer just thank the dude for his time say you will think it over. If you ask me it's old and over priced for a TB45 but I'm not in Peru, I've been there great place to travel and get sick LOL.

(( 1999 GU TB45 in Australia sell under 10,000 aud, that's about 7,800 USD, but there are reasons for that as it's the least desirable engine they released IMO, and theres lot of them. 1999 is Series 1, earliest of the Y61's

Good luck with it
I would have a TB over a di zd.

·
Registered
Nissan
417 Posts
I would have a TB over a di zd.
Yeah but would you pay the equalivent to 30k AUD for a stock 1999 model, regardless of the fruit?

Maybe there's fewer options and the TB is a good bet but seems like lot of money to me but I'm not in Peru

Fuel economy is important if touring. This guys mechanic will be able to answer the region specific questions, but unless your a local I would take everything with grain of salt, the mechanic may help the sell to unload by telling what buyer wants to hear. Just like if you were a foreigner in Thailand the thais would stick together and shaft the farrang, smiling out the corner of their faces.

My best advice is unless your a panic buyer with no time, don't buy the first thing you see, and work out the buyers base line, then chip away at that, if after every check over you are still keen

·
16,755 Posts
Yeah but would you pay the equalivent to 30k AUD for a stock 1999 model, regardless of the fruit?

Maybe there's fewer options and the TB is a good bet but seems like lot of money to me but I'm not in Peru

Fuel economy is important if touring. This guys mechanic will be able to answer the region specific questions, but unless your a local I would take everything with grain of salt, the mechanic may help the sell to unload by telling what buyer wants to hear. Just like if you were a foreigner in Thailand the thais would stick together and shaft the farrang, smiling out the corner of their faces.

My best advice is unless your a panic buyer with no time, don't buy the first thing you see, and work out the buyers base line, then chip away at that, if after every check over you are still keen
Good point. It is a lot of $$, And I could suggest a better motor than the tb and the zd but I woldnt know if they were even available over in his nek of the woods..

Reactions: NissTorq

·
Registered
Nissan
417 Posts
Good point. It is a lot of $$, And I could suggest a better motor than the tb and the zd but I woldnt know if they were even available over in his nek of the woods..
Exactly, in this case Aussies can only help so much. The pic in ad looked good, but looks don't power it does they...?

Hope OP gets what he needs at best price

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Good luck with it

Thanks for the input! There are plenty of patrol is Peru so I think parts availability can be easily be taken cared of. But yeah I am definitely going to try to get a better deal. I think the owner is not too savy in regards to what his vehicle's worth is. Since when I asked him for what was the engine type he just told me v6. So hopefully with the mechanic and some creative wording I can bring the price lower.

One reason why this deal temps me is because there aren't many old patrols on the online sites. There are tons of Patrols starting from 2010 onwards but those are too expensive.

The guys definitely but a lot of money into the mods. But in the case the stand alone vehicle is around 10K I dont think 10K of add ons can be priced in without taking into considertatio depreciation and wear.

Overall I like the build.It will save me a lot of time, but yeah I don't want to feel like overpaying.

Any thoughts on how much it would cost me to add all those modes by myself if I were to go say with the same model but stock?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That is true. I wish I could get my hands on a better engine, but money and time are a constrain for me. Plus most people have no idea what their engine is so I have to ask for the VIN every time.

I have seen plenty of patrols. I know a lot of soccer moms buy them and barely put any miles on them. Probably lots of gems out there. I see them on the streets with painting saying they are for sale, but when I check the auto websites then I can barely find 1-2 every 2 weeks that are older than 2005 (which is what I am targeting)

·
Registered
Nissan
417 Posts
Thanks for the input! There are plenty of patrol is Peru so I think parts availability can be easily be taken cared of. But yeah I am definitely going to try to get a better deal. I think the owner is not too savy in regards to what his vehicle's worth is. Since when I asked him for what was the engine type he just told me v6. So hopefully with the mechanic and some creative wording I can bring the price lower.

One reason why this deal temps me is because there aren't many old patrols on the online sites. There are tons of Patrols starting from 2010 onwards but those are too expensive.

The guys definitely but a lot of money into the mods. But in the case the stand alone vehicle is around 10K I dont think 10K of add ons can be priced in without taking into considertatio depreciation and wear.

Overall I like the build.It will save me a lot of time, but yeah I don't want to feel like overpaying.

Any thoughts on how much it would cost me to add all those modes by myself if I were to go say with the same model but stock?
If the K's are genuine then it's fit for much more, there is no V6 I'm aware of The TB45 it's straight 6, straight 6's are excellent design looking at some of the commentaries on different engine designs, just these TB45 are known to be sluggish and guzzlers, I've never driven or owned one though. It should do everything you want if it's in good order, are there any maintenance documents?

I don't know where in peru you are but beware if you are a ******, and only carry a small deposit in cash, keep your awareness on high and use security strategies so you don't become a target of a scam. There's scammers in Lima and Cusco and anywhere tourists go.

These questions yo ask as to value is difficult to answer due to the difference of region, same with the mods, then the difference of currency exchange. I'd look past the mods or try to focus on the base when negotiating, all owners know they will never get their money back on accessories, but yeah they have value and best if you can buy a car already set for your purpose, but I'd hope you can get your $ back after whatever you pay, and don't forget the age it's very important and can be used to make argument on price drop.

Spend as much time as you can going over it with torch and fine tooth comb, make a list. Even if you like and want it have a figure which is your max, that you will walk away if he wont take, even if you come back tomorrow and offer another $500. That's why it helps to be looking at 2 or 3 and go with the one that presents the all round best deal. Do all the mods work. Ask the seller to tell you all the known issues, they usually play dumb and pretend not to know if you find issues.

Hey for all I know it's a great deal, but the strategy of buying anything s/h must be to get it as cheapest as you can, as you know there can be a major failure and cost the day after buying it. There's no guarantee, that is a factor I take into account, and also if the seller knocks back an offer I keep looking over it. Just some things I'd be thinking if it was me.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts