Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI,

i really need to get this problem fixed asap as i am heading off on a 1200km drive tomorrow, so any help would be greatly apprecieated...
well
i have 2000 gu zd30

last week i got 3inch exhaust fitted and after adjusted the VNT screw 1 whole turn clockwise like the zd30 mannual says..
then went for test drive on highway, was still overboosting so went home and turned it another full turn, so all up 2 full turns clockwise now...
so went for another drive, its still over boosting, not as bad but still getting up to and over 18psi, she sits on about 16psi and then every 5 mins or so she will climb up and over boost..
what should i do now, another turn on vnt screw?????
just dont want to wreck anything, 3 full turns seems alot..

thanks

Cale

·
Registered
nissan
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Helpppp please

·
Registered
nissan
2,003 Posts
Holy Cow...

I have a 3 inch exhaust and an EGR block and only needed to turn mine 1 an 1/4 turns total... about 1/2 a turn for the exhaust (12 months ago) and then another 3/4 when the EGR block went in.

I guess all you can do is try another 1/2 turn I reckon

·
Currently in PAD rehab
18,407 Posts
I personally wouldn't have put the 3" exhaust on before putting a dawes and needle valve in to limit the boost... Especially on the 2000 ZD30.

·
Premium Member
Triton n Lovin it.
25,714 Posts
^^ x2 ^^

·
Registered
nissan patrol gu
735 Posts
HI,

so went for another drive, its still over boosting, not as bad but still getting up to and over 18psi, she sits on about 16psi and then every 5 mins or so she will climb up and over boost..
what should i do now, another turn on vnt screw?????
just dont want to wreck anything, 3 full turns seems alot..

thanks

Cale
With cold engine (just so you don't burn your finger) - put your finger under the VNT arm and lift it up to the adjustment screw, check for free operation... sound like you may have a sticking set of variable vanes..

or maybe your actuator is on the way out, or junk floating around in your dawes setup.

Did the mob who fitted your exhaust have a fiddle????????

Have you checked the vacuum filter?

Have you did a overnight battery disconnect for ECU reset?

Best of luck but it sounds like there is something not 'moving freely' in the VNT operation side of things.

My 2 bobs worth.

·
Registered
nissan
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hii

thanks very much all for helping me out, i just got back from the big drive today, last night i turned it another 1/4 of turn and crossed my fingers and yep it drove perfect.. perfect fuel usage to...
can i ask where is the vaccum pump because i would like to check if its clean??
and also i bought a diesel power chip and i am getting it installed next weekend.. will i need to adjust the vnt screw again to suit the chip??
and do you think the chip is a bad idea, i dont want to put any more stress on this lil engine.. she is a 2000 series 2, with 220000km blocked egr catch can and thermo,.

thanks again for your input everyone..

Cale

·
Registered
nissan
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
and where can i buy the dawes and needle setup everyone talks about.. i cant find where to get it from, im in brisbane to

thanks!!

·
Currently in PAD rehab
18,407 Posts
and where can i buy the dawes and needle setup everyone talks about.. i cant find where to get it from, im in brisbane to

thanks!!
get your dawes valve from 3 Bar Racing---Home Page and your needle valve from Dependable distributors in Adelaide.

Im seriously thinking about importing a heap of both and keeping them in stock here in Adelaide to ship out express post for forum members... complete with all the fittings.

·
Registered
nissan
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
ZD30 Out - L77 In!
nissan patrol
3,345 Posts

thanks!!
HI Cale and welcome to the forum,
The early Di engines will boost to 23psi from the factory and provided it doesn’t stay there for very long, shouldn’t put it into limp mode. Even so, that is still too high considering there is no advantage in having boost spikes so ho high. Most of us here would consider 18psi max as a safe high limit, but 16 is probably better depending on rpm and load.
A Dawes manual TDi controller will allow you to run lower levels and still manage EGT’s as well as provide better low end torque and improve drivability. Check out THIS link to learn more and THIS one for the reasons why we do it.

dronus4x4 said:
Im seriously thinking about importing a heap of both and keeping them in stock here in Adelaide to ship out express post for forum members... complete with all the fittings.
Hi Dronus4x4,
Not a bad idea. A few people have suggested someone does that, but no one has taken up the challenge yet to my knowledge. There was one member a little while ago that was planning to put a complete kit together including EGR plate and Provent, but I’m not sure how that’s going.

·
ZD30 Out - L77 In!
nissan patrol
3,345 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts