Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
nissan
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys im in the middle of a zd30 to TD4.2 conversion. The motor is a silver top GQ item. Im still using the zd30 box but i have taken the adapter plate off so everything bar 2 holes line up. My main problem is that i have to use the 3L starter motor its just easier.
The 4.2 starter wont fit in the zd30 bellhousing.
But the zd30 starter hits on the side of the oil filter closest the fire wall.
The question i really need answered is what are my options can i modify my starter in anyway. Its only out by roughly 3mm.

In this picture you can see the small cylinder on the starter, can that be moved elsewhere. As that is what gets in my way. If it was on the bottom side it would be easy as. Im not worried about welding as we have the gear to do it.

Any info would be great.

· Grenade Master
GU4 05
2,621 Posts
Nope that cylinder is a "pinion engagement" solenoid so short of re-manufacturing the whole thing to be on the opposite site of the starter body maybe idea of moving filter/s to remote location sounds plausible. There could be a possibility of converting/manufacturing similar starter motor to custom flange to fit ZD30 gearbox bell housing. Cheers

· Registered
nissan
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeh i thought this maybe the case. I can probably fab up something so i can run a smaller filter. But will a smaller filter wreck the flow of anything.

Cheers guys

· Registered
nissan
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
After spending this much money, it will get serviced all the time. Well for now im just gonna try see if i can get a filter that will bolt straight on. Cause it wont need to be much smaller. Im still not sure how i'll go there. But worth a try if that fails i guess i'll just have to relocate it.

· Registered
nissan
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i can but i just dont wanna have to do that everytime i wanna put i new one on. I just wanna do it right the first time.

· Registered
nissan
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
im using the 4.2 flywheel it fits perfect inside.
I cant use the 4.2 bellhousing cause i dont have one. I dont have enough money to buy one either. And im not sure if it will straight bolt up to the zd30 gearbox.

· Registered
nissan
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
engine is all bolted up. I aint pulling it out again. lol
were just going to dint he filter for it to work on monday but we have decided to go remote filters. somewhere save and clean when doing a service.

My biggest problem is time as it had to be ready for this monday as thats when the sparky is coming.
All good now i think. ha

· Registered
nissan
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
once im done i may end up doin this but for now im out of money so i have no choice. I have everything i need so far. But thankyou for clearong that up and i will defiantly look at doing it when the cash flow is there.

· Registered
nissan
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Does anyone no if a GQ td42 bellhousing will bolt straight up. Im thinking it will i have a few of them at a mates place.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.