Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just got caught speeding tonight up in thornlands. was caught doing a 100 in an 80 zone.. what annoys me is there was no one on the road so who am i a danger too? i dont believe i was doing that speed but i wasnt looking at my speedo so i had no case for his laser gun. i dont understand why cops have to be out targeting motorists at 8.30 at night when there must be more serious things.

·
Registered
nissan
1,335 Posts
They target us because we are honest hardworking citizens who pay our fines, why target scumbags, they're broke, don't pay fines and clog up the system.

Target us, we're worth more!

·
Enemy of Reality
nissan 09 gu patrol
11,848 Posts
What? Like scraping dead people out of their cars because they lost control and hit a tree? Or hit a roo and lost control. Or flattened a cyclist. Or crashed into another car that they were'nt expecting to be there? Don't speed, don't get caught. Why were you speeding anyway? You leave late, you arrive late. I do over 1000km a week and have not been booked in 3 years. Why? I DON'T SPEED.

What annoys me is people who speed and think they should get away with it and cite the need for cops to be doing 'more important things'.

No, i'm not a cop.

i lost my license twice in my youth and just think what a tosser i was. All for speeding.

·
BORDERTREK 4X4 & FABRICATION
8,549 Posts
How hard can it be? There's signs stating the limit, and we know if we go over it and get caught we get a fine, whether we do it accidently or not.

·
Registered
328 Posts
No one forced you to do 20 kmh over the speed limit it's your own stupid fault.
Have I sped in the past? yes. but I never would whinge about being caught, I'm the person responsible for the speed I drive at, no one else.

·
Banned
nissan patrol
178 Posts
yep, it bites, but you speed you risk getting a fine or worse, and yes guilty as charged, I'm no angel either, nor am I a hoon, just human and shyt happens some times.

·
8,549 Posts
100% agree glort. They know it's only going to deter a minority. The rest are a sure thing for revenue.

·
bit cold out it seems
nissan
9,258 Posts
best way you can fight these speed cameras is not get caught.

if the government can't explain why their outlay isn't bringing in any money they will stop funding them.

·
Registered
nissan
11,208 Posts
x3 glort.
how many ex coppers have to come on tv and prove time and time agian that speed cameras and speed in general are not the main cause for deaths on our roads. the government will never get rid of cameras and the like cause its easy money. they know full well it wont save anybody but its a good excuse. they are getting more and more greedy to with cameras at the bottom of hills, hidden in road works, and the real black spots(you know those perfectly flat peices of road with 5 lanes and nobody on them. they are an outrage and even they know it. the only thing they quote about how good speeding cameras are is $$$$ values not how many lives were saved.
and yom sorry but im going to call bull**** on that as well. as i have been done for doing 15k over the limit when i was actually doing about 15k under the limit and i know that for a fact. and the old man got done only a few weeks ago and he was following me, i wasnt speeding and i never got a ticket. so they are even cheating the system to make more money. i have zero respect for speed cameras and those *****s who endorse that these cameras are life savers. as i could go out tomorrow and prove that oh so very wrong.

·
8,549 Posts
best way you can fight these speed cameras is not get caught.

if the government can't explain why their outlay isn't bringing in any money they will stop funding them.
And besides that it's a proven fact that speeding saves very very little time, even on a longer trip.

·
Registered
14 Posts
The age old arguments,
Speed doesn’t kill, Correct statement.
It the sudden impact with the tree, Telegraph pole, car or person that kills. The faster the vehicle is travelling the more impact it tends to make.
This increases the chance of killing yourself or some poor innocent victim because of your decision to break the law and drive faster that the allowable speed limit because you are a better driver than everybody else on the road.
Fact blame the police for doing a job. If you don’t want to be pinned by a speed camera the answer is real simple DONT SPEED.
No I’m not a cop
No I don’t Speed, The last speeding offence I got was over 30years ago (young and stupid)
Now between then and now I’ve been old and stupid, I’ve spend many hours at a crash scene waiting on the ambulance officers, Police and accident investigation to finish so the idiot or innocent member of the public, whoever was the unluckiest on the night to be removed from a pile of scrap and shipped to the morgue. After that think of the same police that now have to go tell the next of kin that they either found out they were not the better driver or that worse still they were killed by the world’s best driver that chose to speed.

Sounds like I Agree with the police allot here, Not always but one thing I do know. Speeding increases the chances of someone being killed or seriously injured.

But let’s not let that get in the way of a good whinge about being booked now will we.

·
Premium Member
2003 ZD30 Di Patrol (The rare Gold one)
25,689 Posts
Speed cameras are there to stop the 0.8% of speed related fatal accidents from happening.
Atleast that was the reasoning for their introduction in QLD. That and the millions of dollars of revenue they raise.

·
Registered
144 Posts
x3 glort.
"hidden in road works"
Maybe not "hidden" but speed detection devices should be more common in roadwork sites. Ever worked on a 100km/h or even 60km/h zone when traffic doesn't slow to the required 40km/h or similar. I can tell you I don't put a lot of faith in that witches hat separating the speeding vehicle and me.

·
Weekend Warrior
Nissan patrol
10,353 Posts
My attitude is more conformists as I get older lol :D

Following simple rules such as speeding can indicate that you are awake and not asleep leaning on the throttle.

Some roads are not made for a speed any higher than the limit, camber of road, radius of corners etc

Also many hidden traps, black spots that may not be seen as well at higher speeds ie hidden driveways, potholes, wildlife, width of road ( patrols tend to wander, higher speeds, they wander alot)

·
Registered
nissan
3,050 Posts
It doesn't matter which way you look at it. Speeding is speeding and if you get caught doing it then take it on the chin........... However;

Policing isn't a service anymore. Its a buisiness that creates money for the various state and federal governements around Australia. Its a very thin veil that they try and cover the speed cameras with when it comes to reducing the road toll. The road toll has reduced to some extent but the reduction in the road toll is more in measure with the upgrading of roads than it is with the increase in speed cameras. Speed cameras don't save lives. They do however act as a deterant for a particular area where fitter permantently such as school zones etc. where I personally believe they actually do some good. But fixed speed cameras are only good for the specific area they are set up. But go 300m either side of them and they are useless. Especially in NSW where they are required by law to have 3 signs leading up to the camera so you have plenty of warning. haha. There is more time, money and manpower used on speed cameras than is spent on anything else in the policing of our country.

Are police doing their jobs? To a certain extent yes. Is our money going to where it needs to be as far as protecting the population? Well that is the debate I believe. For me I think that too many resources are spent on making policing a business and not enough on providing the service that the police were intended to provide. Fighting crime doesn't make nearly as much money as fines for traffic violations and the like.

Thats my 2c anyway.

·
Banned
616 Posts
Some years ago I was in Cowra early on a winters morning. The town was deathly quiet, like a ghost town . I pulled into a servo to fill up and needed to go to the hardware (which was not yet open). The hardware was next door to the servo. I pulled out of the servo, turned left and went up two, maybe three 45 degree reverse parking spaces from the servo's drive way ( no more than maybe ten feet). I got knicked for not having my seatbelt on, not ensuring my wife had her seat belt on a faulty rear indicator and something else. I do remember it came in at 850 bucks. You can arrive at your own conclusions.

·
Registered
nissan
11,208 Posts
I do understand that the police are doing their job. But they could at least be honest with what they are doing. Yes it mist suck for them to be scraping people off the pavement but how many deaths have been caused by people being glued to the speedo so they don't get caught speeding.
My other problem with them is I could drive around aus. Doing 200 km/h all the way get done by every speed camera. And what do j come home to 10k in fines. But has it done anything to help curb the road toll. No cause all it's done is sent me a bill in the mail.
If the plods or government was serious about reducing fatailites they would be out there nabbing those ****s who tailgate, weave thru traffic with a cab no more than a couple of inches bigger than their car. Those who drive distracted by shaving, makeup, getting dressed while driving. These are the problem people. And these are the ones who should be targeted
Yep as you can tell I'm not convinced speed cameras do a thing.

·
Registered
GU8 CRD
1,583 Posts
I got pinged years ago in the middle of the night, on Good Friday going down a hill just as I crossed from a 100 zone into a 60 zone into some one horse town. I got hit for about 85 in a 60 zone and what really ticked me off is that I was especially staying under the speed limit for the whole trip, to the point of getting passed like a Corolla in a super car race. Mongrels.

Anyway there was a thing on ACA the other night where some guy who used to be involved high up with speed cameras basically came out and said they are nothing but a rort and revenue raisers blah blah blah...

The interesting thing he said was that humans are very good at driving to a suitable speed for conditions and that the proven safest situation is when all vehicles are moving at the same speed in traffic. He also went on to say that it is actually distraction that causes accidents more so then speed and quoted the need for people constantly having to look at their speedos as being a major distraction.

Whilst I have no sympathy for those hoons that want to drive like ratbags and endanger themselves and all those around them on the road, it really ticks me off when you get nabbed for a few k over the limit on a stretch of road where you're inbuilt "safe speed setting" exceeds the official limit. I mean who has ever seen a camera located on a windy section of road going up hill?

1 - 20 of 63 Posts