Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

41 - 47 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
352 Posts
Sorry, just thought i better ask. Is fully synthetic got a mineral base ?
No, full synthetic has a synthetic base. The way I understand the difference with the oils is: mineral oil is derived from crude oil and is less processed, there are a bunch of different molecules of different sizes which on average make the viscosity what it is. Synthetic oil is so highly processed that the molecules are all uniform in size. Synthetic oil can be made from gas, coal etc as well as crude oil. This uniformity in molecular size makes it ideal for modern engines where tolerances are so close. However, the key component is the additives package, and I would suggest that's potentially what makes an oil more suited to some engines than others.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
No, full synthetic has a synthetic base. The way I understand the difference with the oils is: mineral oil is derived from crude oil and is less processed, there are a bunch of different molecules of different sizes which on average make the viscosity what it is. Synthetic oil is so highly processed that the molecules are all uniform in size. Synthetic oil can be made from gas, coal etc as well as crude oil. This uniformity in molecular size makes it ideal for modern engines where tolerances are so close. However, the key component is the additives package, and I would suggest that's potentially what makes an oil more suited to some engines than others.
Yer , agree after more research with what you are saying. Every car has it`s own likes and dislikes. I know what mine likes so i will stick to that Thanks

·
Registered
4x4nissan
34 Posts
Where do you even get castrol rx plus from? Have done a search at the usuals but can’t find it.
I generally only use castrol rx super, have never seen the rx plus.
Looks like the plus would be more suited to the 4.2 as its jaso dh-1 as opposed to the super being jaso dh-2.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Where do you even get castrol rx plus from? Have done a search at the usuals but can’t find it.
I generally only use castrol rx super, have never seen the rx plus.
Looks like the plus would be more suited to the 4.2 as its jaso dh-1 as opposed to the super being jaso dh-2.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I did a google search and it came up with a variety of different suppliers. I didn`t go into where they were. Good luck

41 - 47 of 47 Posts