Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
N/A
nissan patrol
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,
I will be up in port douglas for a wedding in aug and unfortunately I am unable to take my patrol up :(
I would love to get out see some of the places that I get to read about in the cape york threads, so I am looking at hiring a stock as a rock 4x4 (preferably a patrol) to go out for the day.
Would it be possible to do the bloomfield track heading north and then come back via roaring meg falls and noah? in a day, leaving and returning to port douglas?
NO RECOVERY GEAR or safety gear of any description will be carried (except lunch and mobile phone).
I really want to do this but there are so many things that are stacked against the idea, which is why I am asking for first has knowledge of the area.
TIA

·
Glasshouse Bogan #1
nissan patrol gu
9,423 Posts
I cant see a problem, if its not overly wet the track into roaring meg will be ok and the bloomfield track is not really a track anymore .

·
Premium Member
nissan
7,038 Posts
Would it be possible to do the bloomfield track heading north and then come back via roaring meg falls and noah? in a day, leaving and returning to port douglas?
Yes, but it is a big day.

I have left Cairns just after sunrise, headed up the Bloomfield track and come back the CREB track in one day but it got dark while we were on the bitumen between Mossman and Cairns. I think we arrived in Cairns about 7:30. Conditions were dry so we had no problem areas. We were never pushed for time but we didn't waste time anywhere either. If you start at Port Douglas you are saving an hour off both ends of the trip. If I were doing it again I'd head up the CREB first just in case of delays. Better coming back on the Bloomfield in the dark than the CREB. The Daintree ferry runs until midnight.

Best 4x4 hire in Cairns is Captain Billy's 4WD Hire. They can provide directions for both ends of the CREB Track. Captain Billy's 4WD Hire - Four Wheel Drive Rental

Cheers,

Edit: I just noticed that Captain Billy have a minimum rental period of 7 days so scrap them.

·
N/A
nissan patrol
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
cheers for the info boys.
I have been watching some vids of the creb track on youtube and some of the hills look too much for stock tyres, even in the dry.
I just can not justify the chance of getting bogged coming out of a creek with road tyres on and no recovery gear or second vehicle. also some of the steps and ruts look like they could get very expensive in a rental.
I might have to re-jig the idea and do the bloomfield in a hatchback to balance out track conditions! or hire a landcruiser :( from cairns.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
yep did it two weeks ago in a stock rental hilux didnt even put it in low or 4wd
Indeed! In fact, when I came back that way from my cape trip, I even saw a proliferation of CRV's, xtrails and those mazda thingy's. It's definately not a 4wd track anymore.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts