Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
Good idea putting it behind the wheels, be very suspect of ball weights quoted on camper trailers, especially forward folds.

52kgs of genny in the back of the patrol is a fair weight to lift in and out.

Sent from my A1601 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
nissan
4,802 Posts
“And possibly move the 52kg geny into the patrol.“

I have an Aldi 3500W inverter gennie to run the B3200 Dometic A/C on my caravan and it barely weighs 30 kg. Even at 72 I can snatch it from the ground into the front boot of the caravan.

$399 with 3 year warranty.

·
The Googlest, Apparently!
nissan patrol
15,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
“And possibly move the 52kg geny into the patrol.“

I have an Aldi 3500W inverter gennie to run the B3200 Dometic A/C on my caravan and it barely weighs 30 kg. Even at 72 I can snatch it from the ground into the front boot of the caravan.

$399 with 3 year warranty.
Just going by the weight of the spec sheet from Supercenter mate.

Says 52kg, I can deal with 52kg of their 3500w genny, it's the 98kg of a 5000w that is the problem...

Even at light weight 52kg putting in the front compartment of the camper trailer, along with all the other stuff mentioned, will significantly increase the "DRY" ball weight of 180kg is all I am saying, and that is the reason to put it in to the patrol.

Thankfully the 200lt water tanks (200kgs) are at or behind the wheels. But the ball weight will increase again as the water is used.

It's a vicious circle trying to stay road legal.

·
I Have Imaginary Friends
Patrol Hybrid.
12,815 Posts
Mine is only 30 Kg or around there. Any heavier and it'd be useless for me.

·
nissan patrol
15,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
That seemed ridiculously heavy for a modern 3500va genset so I had a look and what I saw said 33.5kg for the Kings Colossus 3500va inverter generator.
Yeh, my bad, numbers were for something else, lots of numbers going around in my head with GVM, GTM, Ball Weight, kVA, BTU's etc etc, and then work.

However, I was still close.

Net weight = dry weight, not gross weight / wet weight...

Add 6kg for 7.5lts of fuel, slap a bit of oil in it ...

You can see where this is going ... ;)

·
Registered
Triton n Lovin it.
23,112 Posts

·
nissan patrol
15,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
OK, so looking to go down the camper trailer route.

Hate caravans and cant take them were I want to go.

So camper trailer is it.

The wife, on the other hand, wants a caravan with all the mod cons, including AC.

But that aint gonna happen.

Therefore for me to coax her into a camper trailer I will need AC as she suffers in heat and humidity. (I know, this is Oz and it what we have in abundance, but her dainty Scottish tush can't take it)

That means portable AC and a Genset.

https://www.4wdsupacentre.com.au/adventure-kings-3-5kva-3500w-generator.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIw93tzfnr2AIVE5a9Ch0QhgSiEAQYASABEgKXJ_D_BwE
Look out, here come Foo in his slow moving truck... ;) :rofl: :p

·
Registered
Triton n Lovin it.
23,112 Posts

·
nissan patrol
15,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
https://transcool.info/product/12-volt-evaporative-cooler/

Simple individual cooler, still luxury, it's camping not glamping unless you're thrasher:p
lol, when my wife is coming along it is glamping.

As she is wont to say, I have never seen a 5 star hotel down the end of a dirt track.

Believe me, getting her into a camper trailer is a monumental task ...

I have been trying for years, she has relented somewhat, and a good AC, along with enclosed dunny and shower, is part of the compromise.

And I am moving more and more to portable AC instead of fixed, she is only going to come every so often.

Most of the time it will be just me and my mate or some other fishing buddies, so it can stay at home as a trade off for carrying more weight.

·
obi 1 patientnewby !
nissan
430 Posts
Hey DB, I know you said camper trailer , but have you considered a hybrid camper? they are no wider than the patrol and if not to long will go anywhere a campertrailer will go, plus most of the good ones are made of insulated sandwich panel, they take much less energy to heat and cool and keep a lot of heat out.

·
nissan patrol
15,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Hey DB, I know you said camper trailer , but have you considered a hybrid camper? they are no wider than the patrol and if not to long will go anywhere a campertrailer will go, plus most of the good ones are made of insulated sandwich panel, they take much less energy to heat and cool and keep a lot of heat out.
I have looked at them.

Not sold on them really, and can't get the must have tinny on top of them.

·
Registered
1 Posts
OK, so looking to go down the camper trailer route.

Hate caravans and cant take them were I want to go.

So camper trailer is it.

The wife, on the other hand, wants a caravan with all the mod cons, including AC.

But that aint gonna happen.

Therefore for me to coax her into a camper trailer I will need AC as she suffers in heat and humidity. (I know, this is Oz and it what we have in abundance, but her dainty Scottish tush can't take it)

That means portable AC and a Genset.

I have been looking at this and know that to have any success I will need to get something in excess of 16,000 BTU's to cool what is effectively a tent.

Thinking of something like this.

Kogan 4.7kW Portable Air Conditioner (16,000 BTU) | Portable Air Conditioners |

10 Best Portable Air Conditioners (AC Units) in 2020

16,000 BTU needs roughly 1800W / 9A input power.

But when the compressor and fan kicks in there would be an extra surge draw, possibly another 400/500W and 2A.

For this I think that a 3Kva inverter generator would be the go.

Like this.

https://www.4wdsupacentre.com.au/adventure-kings-3-5kva-3500w-generator.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIw93tzfnr2AIVE5a9Ch0QhgSiEAQYASABEgKXJ_D_BwE

It would also allow me to run a bunch of power tools (drill / grinder / metal nibbler etc) for repairs on the go, maybe even the wifes hair drier lol.

Anyone have any experience with this sort of set up?
It's cool. I always wanted to do this, but I never succeeded. I see the portable with automatic evaporation function, I will consider a type. This way I don't have to worry about its hose. It ’s just that the store told me that if the weather is too humid, I need to drain it regularly. This is not a problem for me. The hose is the biggest problem for me.

41 - 57 of 57 Posts