Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a DX without any rear speakers. Just fitted an Alpine i407 touch screen double din head unit and new Alpine speakers in the front. Sounds good but definitely need rear speakers as at the moment, you are very aware that the sound is coming directly from the speakers by your feet instead of sound just filling the cabin.

My question is where to put them - the obvious place is in the same place as the front speakers but on the rear doors (not barn doors). However, I expect I'll have the middle seats folded up quite a bit when travelling and so the seats will block the speakers. Maybe the barn doors then? But probably same issue but blocked by "stuff" (camping gear etc) in rear.

Will 6" speakers go ok in the roof at the back near the barn doors? Might need spacers if the depth isn't there. Reckon that would be a good option? What about vibration of the roof trim? Anyone done this?

cheers

·
Registered
63 Posts
Gday mccpijs4

Welcome to the forum the ideal place in a DX i have found is on the rear roof with slopping pods i have done this to mine and it is great i used 6+9 pods and put a set of RF 6+9s in it and they are gold i will get some pics when i fly back i hope it all works out for you pods are $23 a pair and i managed to score similar colour but yeah mate no vibrations and they are out of the way of your gear. good luck

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Any chance you can post those pics of your rear pods? And $23 from where?

cheers

(Yeah not splits - guy at the store recommended I just go with the single units if I wasn't intending running an amp. Will probably put a powered alpine sub under the passenger seat too.)

·
bit cold out it seems
9,270 Posts
Yeh i reckon some 6" in the roof in the rear. You don't need to spend alot, they are just for fill. They do not have to sound good at all, just be clear with no crackle to complete the soundstage.

·
Registered
41 Posts
hey mate, i did this about 3 weeks ago. i put some 3way 6.5 inch in the rear doors, just take the trim off and you will see where to cut, its allready marked out...

·
Registered
109 Posts
On my GUIII DX the speaker wire goes all the way to the car-side of the multiconnector going into the door - I put 6x9 speakers into the door (using a 25mm spacer), just a simple case of snipping the wires out of the multiconnector and running an extension into the door.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My front speakers are Alpine units, replacing the standard ones in the door trim. There is some awfull vibrations under certain bass frequencies - can I try stiffening all the trim or the speaker mounts to help this?

One other option I was thinking of was getting a powered sub for under the passenger seat - take the bass duties off the speakers and allow them to go louder without vibrations because they are only really dealing with mid and high frequencies.

Makes sense to me, but I have no experience with subs and don't know whether this plan will work as I want - you guys must have some experience with this?!

Also, if you can help me with how I might run a reverse camera from the boot to my indash screen? Both alpine, only one lead (i.e. doesn't need separate power) - where should I go? Along the under the kickplates then what? Or something else.

cheers

·
Registered
714 Posts
My front speakers are Alpine units, replacing the standard ones in the door trim. There is some awfull vibrations under certain bass frequencies - can I try stiffening all the trim or the speaker mounts to help this?

One other option I was thinking of was getting a powered sub for under the passenger seat - take the bass duties off the speakers and allow them to go louder without vibrations because they are only really dealing with mid and high frequencies.

cheers
Get a sub AND dynamat your doors. . . it'll suck all the bad vibrations out. Unless what you're hearing is actually distortion. But with alpine units I'd be surprised.

TF

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Had the interior trim off over the weekend - and see what you mean about the wiring going up to the doorside of the multiconnector. Wonder if I can get the other side wired up so its done properly without having to splice into the existing wires? Looks like I'd be missing the little metal spikes to make the connection though - are they pretty standard electrical connections?

Looks like the speakers can just be screwed straight on to the door - holes all line up. If the door is deep enough, why bother with MDF spacer? Surely should be pretty secure on the door (not the trim - the actuall door).

Can just use something sticky to hold it in position and then replace trim and place speaker cover over and then screw through speaker cover, trim, speaker and finally door to hold it all secure?

Sorry - this thread should prob now be in Electrical or something....

·
Registered
109 Posts
Hi, I didn't even try to use the existing connector, just used the stuff I had in the shed. you might be able to get the right pins from an auto electrician.

Re the spacer that was necessary because I fitted 6x9's, if you're putting 6.5 inch speakers in they should bolt straight up to the existing captive nuts. from recollection your speaker can be up to around 60mm deep ie around 60mm inserted into the door.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just an update:

Got the new speakers in the back - the improvement is enormous - very happy!

For anyone thinking of fitting Alpine speakers, def go for the R type over the S type. Have S-type in the front and R-type in the rear now - have the highpass filter in the front set a bit higher to take the bass load off them as they distort disappointingly early.

Was thinking of a sub-woofer for under the passenger seat, but no need now - bass coming through from the back is more than enough. Have gone from bass&treble settings of 5&2 with just the front speakers, to 2&3 with the new units in the back.

Anyway, if you've got a DX with only front speakers - can heartily recommend putting another set in the rear! *Literally* doubles the sound!

(thanks for the help on here re: fitting them!)

·
Previously known as twodiffs
3,667 Posts
I have 6x4's in the rear doors.....when we're loaded up for a trip away ya can hardly hear them and I have to turn the fronts up.

I know a guy who has mounted a pair of JBL control one's up in the rear roof just inside the doors, think i'll go that way eventually.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I mounted mine on the cargo barrier, facing forward above the rear seats, close to the edge of the barrier. They're out of the way and no matter how much stuff I load in, they sound great.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts