Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Part of the furniture around here
nissan
19,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I mentioned this in another thread, where I spoke about MAF cleaning, but it may get lost in the noise and could be of interest to those who may not see that thread. Today I bought a new air filter and when I installed it, the lid was quite hard to close. At first I thought that I'd mis-aligned something, but then it was quite obvious that I hadn't and something was different, so I took out the new filter and compared it to the old.

What I found was the rubber ring (not the double lip ring) has been increased in thickness by almost 100%, ergo the greater effort required to lock the lid. I thought that maybe the ring on the old filter had compressed with age, but that doesn't appear to be the case. So all that I can surmise is that Nissan has reviewed the filter design and increased the thickness of the ring to give the filter better sealing.

The difference is very noticeable and I haven't had a filter like this previously. In all other respects, the filter appears to be identical. Maybe that also explains the very fine layer of dust that had accumulated on the MAF, with the earlier design being prone to some leakage.

Cheers

Ray

·
Registered
Nissan CRD
893 Posts
Nissan Part number 16546-VC10A air cleaner element as a fluke went into my 2008 CRD today and is the one you describe. It replaced the one that had been in there since new on the road in August 2008. It was identical to the one that came out.

Ray did you see my post about having a snorkel?

·
Part of the furniture around here
nissan
19,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nissan Part number 16546-VC10A air cleaner element as a fluke went into my 2008 CRD today and is the one you describe. It replaced the one that had been in there since new on the road in August 2008. It was identical to the one that came out.

Ray did you see my post about having a snorkel?
OK, so it seems like they have changed things. I might query them nonetheless, as I believe that there are two types of filter, one that is oiled and one that is not and the one we should be using is the oiled one. I didn't check to see if the filter appeared to have oil, but will do that.

I saw your post, but didn't reply, as my situation doesn't fit the criteria you specified. I don't have a snorkle, but get what I consider excellent fuel economy (around 12-13lt/100km when not towing and 15-16lt/100km when towing).

Cheers

Ray

·
Registered
Nissan CRD
893 Posts
I saw your post, but didn't reply, as my situation doesn't fit the criteria you specified. I don't have a snorkle, but get what I consider excellent fuel economy (around 12-13lt/100km when not towing and 15-16lt/100km when towing).

Ray, thanks mate, that is what I wanted to know.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts