Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So it seems we may lose another beach in the near future :/ Seems the council in our area is more inclined to dis-encourage people by removing the things that actually attract people to the area (take for example the canoe centre they could banter alot more with that one i am sure) anyways if we can get enough numbers together hopefully we can prevent this closure. A mate of mine has started up this petition for those who are interested in signing it please do, the more we get the better chance we have of keeping our beaches and then in turn other attractions around the clarence valley open.
Petition to CVC Re Pippi Beach
Tony James started the petition "Clarence Valley Council: Leave Pippi Beach open to privately owned 4WDs" and need your help to get it off the ground.
Will you take 30 seconds to sign it right now? Here's the link:
http://www.change.org/p/clarence-valley-council-leave-pippi-beach-open-to-privately-owned-4wds

Hope I am allowed to post this up here guess time will tell lol
Thanks in advance guys n gals :)

·
LED ZEPPELIN
1995 GQ TD42 NA
12,022 Posts
I actually got inspired to write a thesis on this :D Petition signed and added the below for good measure.

To:
Clarence Valley Council, General Manager

Subject: Notice of Motion to restrict 4wd access to Pippis Beach

I and my family love to travel and explore and there's no better place to do it, especially for young children, than Australia. Places like Pippis Beach in NSW and Double Island Point in QLD are perfect for families, and indeed it's mostly responsible families who are out there making the most of these spots.

It is consistent across boundaries that a minority of users or participants will cause problems that can impact the great majority of people who do the right thing, and the solution to this should not be a clearly unfair blanket policy that targets a specific category of users only.

The only proven way to manage issues in this space is consistent and effective real-time enforcement by councils and government bodies. Land management policies should be drawn up by people with actual experience and understanding of not only the environmental aspects of the area, but the recreational usage patterns and trends as well.

These areas drive not only local hospitality and retail economies, but various other industries as well - SUVs, caravans and camper trailers, dirtbikes, helmets and other PPE, camping gear, fishing gear. All selling at record levels, and I daresay increasing the income into the local economy of places like Clarence Valley.

Motorised offroad transport is increasing, but it's happening at a time where powerplants have never been more efficient. There has been a corresponding increase in awareness of the need to minimise the impact of offroad vehicles in relatively pristine wilderness, and this can be seen in print media and online 4wd and touring forums - who promote a 'tread lightly' approach to leaving the blacktop. Readers are actively encouraged to avoid entering undeveloped tracks during periods of rain, and one of the countries highest profile 4wd industry identities has actually gone full-time as a lobbyist and ambassador for responsible wilderness access. The 4wd community are truly involved participants and activists when it comes to keeping Australia beautiful.

I note that the notice of motion says that council has 'received input from the various NSW Government Agencies and Surf Life Saving NSW'. Has the council approached their local and/or peak 4WD governing bodies such as Grafton & Districts 4WD Club Inc. or Four Wheel Drive NSW & ACT, to obtain their input and guidance on these decisions? Is the council aware that many 4wd clubs have an 'adopt a track' program which sees club members volunteering to manage and maintain high-use offroad routes?

The correct strategy to manage our special places is not to close them, but to encourage responsible behaviour by all people who use and enjoy them.

Yours sincerely,

Reactions: Sooty_10

·
Registered
nissan patrol mk
3,307 Posts
Signed as well, it's despicable that they close places which we, the majority, love and appreciate.
Please keep the forum posted on the outcome of this

·
Registered
Nissan/GU
1,083 Posts
Signed....., it is a shame that most councils and governing bodies simply go for the knee jerk reaction of closing places down before even considering all the user groups. Great letter Sqaulo.

·
Registered
nissan
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Currently have a paper petition goin as well getting signatures. Will keep posted on outcome peeps..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts