Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys,

I was heading to my mate place last night and got to about 1km from their place and started going up a little hill and the td42 in my gq lost power. so put the clutch in and braked and it was idling fine, all temps were fine, building boost fine etc but whe I had it in first and released the clutch it would rev to 1200rpm then cut out on its own unless I am quick enough to put the clutch back in and then it goes back to idle.

I have a little lift pump on it and noticed it would run with the pump on or off for a bit (when it first happened while trying to suss out the fault) but then I tried it with the pump off and wouldn't fire up, switch it on she starts and idles.

im thinking the injector pump is gone but doing it at 11pm last night in the rain was abit hard to find the actual fault so will have a look over the weekend but has anyone got any ideas?

93 gq td42 silvertop kinugawa td05 turbo etc stock pump as far as I know and if the odo kms are correct the cars done 525000kms.

cheers jc

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
Td pumps are pretty hard to kill, I know I've tried. I think the fault lies with your lift pump. Bypass it and take it for a drive to eliminate the lift pump as your problem. My feeling is you will replace it with a carter 4600.

·
Anger management pi$$es me off
nissan
7,539 Posts
Also try bypassing the filter as your lift pump will prime the system, this will eliminate the primer sucking air

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cheers guys. The lift pump is a solid state pump so if it fails fuel still flows etc but have not physically bypassed it yet as it was 11pm last night in the rain and unfortunately im working today haha. I did think about the small inlet filter but again pissing rain and no tools didnt help. Will hopefully get it home tonight and have a better look but yeah i still would of thought over 500000kms is way over due for an overhaul on an injector pump.

Cheers jc

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
One thing i did try last night was crack the plastic bleeder with out the lift pump on and the engine running with no fuel coming out and as i screwed it back up the revs went down and then pick up. Then i cracked it again and switched the lift pump on and had fuel pissing out the bleed port. So to me that says the lift pump is doing its job etc.

i could be wrong bout that but yeah.

Cheers jc

·
Registered
nissan
279 Posts
Cheers guys. The lift pump is a solid state pump so if it fails fuel still flows etc but...
Just a quick note, testing on here in one of the lift pump threads confirmed that in certain random cases flow through the pump was affected during pump failure even when claimed not to by the manufacturer. This resulted in performance problems.
Most installs incorporate a series of Ts and a one way valve to bypass the pump in event of failure.

·
Premium Member
nissan
5,279 Posts
I had the exact same thing happen to me on my GQ shorty (no lift pump). Check that little gauze filter screen under the bango on top of the pump. That was my issue. Good luck getting it out. It isn't fun. They are alot further down than you think. Staighten out a paper clip and then turn a 5mm hook on the end. That's how I did it anyway.
Good luck.;)

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I had the exact same thing happen to me on my GQ shorty (no lift pump). Check that little gauze filter screen under the bango on top of the pump. That was my issue. Good luck getting it out. It isn't fun. They are alot further down than you think. Staighten out a paper clip and then turn a 5mm hook on the end. That's how I did it anyway.
Good luck.;)

cheers mate yeah I check it every second fuel filter change as I got caught out with my last patrol as that screen was chockers.
but will check it on the weekend when I have a good look over the system.
tonight I went and picked it up from my mates place where she stoped last night so at least its at home now.

one thing my dad noticed when we were trying to get it started and when I did decide to run, was it was pooring out a lot of black smoke (raw fuel) out the exhaust so yeah will check it all on the weekend.
:(

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ok after doing a few checks today seems that it was only a broken wire on the fuel shut off solenoid so that's a relief.

cheers guys for comments

Reactions: GUte

·
Registered
nissan
4,831 Posts
Yep that'll do it

1 - 11 of 11 Posts