Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

181 - 200 of 237 Posts

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol Y61
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #181
@Orso - try and lower the idle voltage to a (lets say) 1.9V. See what happens.

Since i removed the catalytic convertor, i am in process of getting to perfect boost setting, so, from time to time i get limp mode

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol Y61
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #182
@Jordan

From what i see in the pictures from FaceBook, the device is in fact a airflow meter housing redesigned. It seems to pull out a bit the sensor position, so the airflow is not completely "reported" to ECU, so, more air enters into the intake. I might be wrong, but that is what i see from the picture. If anybody has additional info, post it here.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
55 Posts
@Jordan

From what i see in the pictures from FaceBook, the device is in fact a airflow meter housing redesigned. It seems to pull out a bit the sensor position, so the airflow is not completely "reported" to ECU, so, more air enters into the intake. I might be wrong, but that is what i see from the picture. If anybody has additional info, post it here.
That is what I sort of gathered from the photo!
Would that product actually do what they say ?
From my understanding because it is just a housing it wouldn't change any of the MAF sensor's voltage outputs therefore nothing will change ? I could be wrong!! Any more info on this product would be great.

·
Registered
nissan
27 Posts
@Orso - try and lower the idle voltage to a (lets say) 1.9V. See what happens.

Since i removed the catalytic convertor, i am in process of getting to perfect boost setting, so, from time to time i get limp mode

This is the problem...
With the previus setting of 25.5 Kohm I get about 1.85 v @ Idle (max boost was 1.3 Bar or 18 PSI) and continuos Limp every time I try to accelerate, the boost desappear (less than 0.3 Bar) and no power...

Now I'm running with about 10 Kohm resistor (little board with a 4.7 Kohm resistor and a trimmer for adjust), no limp mode is activated and maximum boost level is about 1.0 Bar (14 PSI)

The first solution was great during all the winter but now it does not work ...

Air Temp can be the cause??? We have now about 20 °C, when setted to the 25.5 Kohm it was less than 4 °C... let's see what happening in summer with more than 30 °C...

(Alwais measured with hot engine)

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol Y61
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #185
How's your EGT then ?? A max value of 14PSI seems a lill' low, try to increase it up to 16PSI, i tried to get @ 100km/h around 12PSI ... I know i saw it somewhere around a table with speeds, RPM and boost values, but i dont recall where....

·
Registered
nissan
137 Posts
Here are a couple of pictures,
The first shows which wire to cut on the 4 wire MAF sensor.
I then tinned the wire.
The second shows the " test rig".

I later soldered the connections and covered in shrink tube.
Then wrapped up again with electrical tape.
It is easy!

View attachment 41387
View attachment 41388

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hi sorry to dig up a old post, but I want to try this on my patrol, could you please advise what resistor I need please, so I can pop down to Jaycar and get one and test this mod out thankyou

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,194 Posts
Hi sorry to dig up a old post, but I want to try this on my patrol, could you please advise what resistor I need please, so I can pop down to Jaycar and get one and test this mod out thankyou
The resister size is mentioned a couple of times somewhere in the beginning of the thread, but, you will find most have moved on to the JayCar Voltage modifier kit as it has much more flexibility and gives you the chance to "tune" your vehicle specifically. The resister mod is an accross the board measure that effectively reduces fuel input across the board.

Can I ask what is your specific reason for wanting to do this particular mod rather than the voltage modifier?

There is a lot of info on the JayCar V modifier unit in the archives under modifications and my install is also a part of my build thread linked in my signature.

·
Registered
nissan
155 Posts

Hello Rickie3,
That is just an ordinary diode. It drops the voltage just the right amount to bring the MAF voltage back to where is should be. It works well and the car drives great.
I know that there are more sofisticated solutions, but this has been an modification that worked out so well that I have installed and forgotten about it.
Lower fuel consumption and no more of the dreded Limp Mode.
The diode costs about 50 cents, so it is worth giving it a go and seeing if it also works this well for you.

Cheers,
B&B

Reactions: Rickie3

·
Currently in PAD rehab
18,407 Posts
So something like this diode? does it matter which way the silver end goes on the red wire?
Maybe a quick read to understand what you are about to do is a worthwhile investment in time?

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=diode

Sent from my GT-I9505G using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,194 Posts
Lack of funds mate is the specific reason, just wanna try the cheap fix till I get enough coin to buy the JDVM:)
Fair enough mate, always a valid point of consideration :). But just to stress again the JDVM is definitely the more flexible option longterm ;).

·
Registered
nissan
155 Posts
So something like this diode? does it matter which way the silver end goes on the red wire?
Hello Rickie3
The diode works in one direction only, similar to a one way valve.
Install the diode with the silver stripe away from the MAF.
Fit it and forget it.
Cheers,
B&B

Reactions: Rickie3

·
Registered
nissan
137 Posts
After holding off I just tried this mod this morning, and took it straight back out, with the mod my bus wouldnt pull the skin off a rice pudding, flat to the boards I could have got out and ran quicker, did anyone else strike this with this mod??

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,194 Posts
After holding off I just tried this mod this morning, and took it straight back out, with the mod my bus wouldnt pull the skin off a rice pudding, flat to the boards I could have got out and ran quicker, did anyone else strike this with this mod??
As we keep saying, by doing this you are globally dropping the MAF values, depending on what value diode you use, if you just want to defeat limp then you go for the lowest value you can get away with but even so it is still a global drop which "will" effect fueling which then may cause performance issues with take off etc. If your willing to accept that then it's a cheap easy way over limp.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1 Posts
Good News Everybody!

First I measured the MAF voltage: 2.18

Then I installed germanium diode, and checked again: 2.11
I was disappointed by this drop of only 0.07 volts. Is the germanium diode too efficient? Does the MAF some how try to compensate for the diode and increase voltage out?

Since I had already cut the wire, I decided to go ahead, rather that turn back.
I found an old circuit board and got a silicone diode off of it.
EUREKA!
The normal diode dropped the voltage down to 1.84 or 0.34 volts less which is perfect.
The MAF voltage range is now from 1.84 to 3.96.
This is with a full boost of 15 psi.

I did my best to force a limp mode, but it would not happen. I do not notice any change in the performance.
EDIT: I did notice an improvement in performance, the wagon goes allot better without limp-mode!!

Happy Days!

Cheers,
B&B
I did the same with a diode in line of the red wire on my 2000 gu2 zd30. Dropped the voltage down to around 2.10v (with egr block) no limp mode at all running up to 15psi.

181 - 200 of 237 Posts