Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
After breaking my bonnet protector again, I bined it and said stuff it.
After a few kms on the open road heading off to salvation (bush camp spot) was thinking bloody hell that diesel fill was fantastic. But it wasn't, it I believe is the airflow now making it into the intercooler, and when going slow the manual switch for it have increased Smokeys performance somewhat.

So maybe if you have a bonnet protector take it off for a few weeks and see.
And yes I have a steel bar, which does effect airflow - but that stays.

·
Registered
9,574 Posts
Hi All,
After breaking my bonnet protector again, I bined it and said stuff it.
After a few kms on the open road heading off to salvation (bush camp spot) was thinking bloody hell that diesel fill was fantastic. But it wasn't, it I believe is the airflow now making it into the intercooler, and when going slow the manual switch for it have increased Smokeys performance somewhat.

So maybe if you have a bonnet protector take it off for a few weeks and see.
And yes I have a steel bar, which does effect airflow - but that stays.
Interesting that just removing the bonnet protector made such a difference that you could feel. Try a bigger scoop next and really feel the difference.

I also wondered how much the bull bar and big spotties effect the air flow too.

·
Registered
nissan
517 Posts
In speaking with the guys at ARE some time ago, a bullbar and bonnet protector both decrease the scoops ability to draw in air to cool effectively. Factory Nissan bars are worse than ARB bars as they sit higher. Add a bonnet protector with a factory scoop and the efficiency goes down quite bit. Even the ARE scoop is effected by these accessories however due to it's height, the reduction is only 5-10% efficiency as per tests performed at ARE.

Whilst I'm aware, would still prefer to keep my bonnet chip free.

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts
yea, been known for years that those ****ty protectors are not recommended for intercooled 4b's.. but people dont believe it.

·
Weekend Warrior
Nissan patrol
10,348 Posts
So if I get an icecream container, scissors and some race tape, i could be getting better economy? Someone shoulda spoken up sooner :roll:

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, the old Smokey beast now holds 4th on a lot more hills than ever before now.

·
Registered
9,574 Posts
Smokey,
It is good to hear that it has made such a difference. I have'n ever had a bonnet protector and never tested my truck with out the bar or lights as I fitted them from new and have never driven it without them.

So if I get an icecream container, scissors and some race tape, i could be getting better economy? Someone shoulda spoken up sooner :roll:
Yep
but for higher speeds you need sometning a bit more substantial than the icecream container. More race tape.

This bigger scoop costs a bit more than the race tape and icecream container but it works a lot better too.

·
Registered
73 Posts
where did you get the bigger scoup from??

1 - 9 of 9 Posts