Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife was out driving the Patrol today and said when she was braking, particularly at high speeds, she felt a shudder, juttering (like driving on corrugated iron was her analogy). She said it seemed to be happening quite a bit. Considering I am about the most un mechanical person around I thought I would come here for some advice on what it could be. The car is still under warranty. Cheers in advance.

·
Registered
Nissan patrol gq
751 Posts
My wife was out driving the Patrol today and said when she was braking, particularly at high speeds, she felt a shudder, juttering (like driving on corrugated iron was her analogy). She said it seemed to be happening quite a bit. Considering I am about the most un mechanical person around I thought I would come here for some advice on what it could be. The car is still under warranty. Cheers in advance.
Take it for a drive yourself & see if you can feel that shudder through the brake peddle
( peddle pulsing ) if you can it will be warped discs. Front probably since they do about 70% of the braking. Brakes won't be covered by warranty unfortunately.

·
Registered
nissan y61
4,788 Posts
As above but also check pads. If pads are low replace but check the disks. If they are really shiny then have them skimmed before putting in new pads. A good way to know if they need skimming is if you have a lip at top of disk. Make sure you always torque the wheels on the patrol. They are prone for warping and this greatly reduces it. Replace the brake fluid to DOT 3. DOT 4 can not be used in Patrol.

If you do machine the disks do wheel bearings at same time and front diff oil. You could also consider a new steering damper, ball joints, tire rotation and king pins.

·
Registered
nissan
212 Posts
Replace the brake fluid to DOT 3. DOT 4 can not be used in Patrol.
elaborate please, never heard this before, mine runs on DOT 4 and so have the other 4 patrols I've owned and all my friends patrols and every patrol on a mine site I've seen and every mechanic I've been too..... I'm curious as to why it can't be used, not having a go at you at all, am honestly curious as to why.

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
elaborate please, never heard this before, mine runs on DOT 4 and so have the other 4 patrols I've owned and all my friends patrols and every patrol on a mine site I've seen and every mechanic I've been too..... I'm curious as to why it can't be used, not having a go at you at all, am honestly curious as to why.
X2 - never heard of this before.

·
Registered
nissan
131 Posts
If you replace all your brake rubbers and change the fluid from Dot 3 to Dot 4 it's alright.

DON'T ever mix the to 2, It will bugger your rubbers.

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,269 Posts
That's a good link, I'll put that into the archives in the relevant section

My 2 cents worth on Ralphs problem with only marginal information, I have warped my discs twice in 14 years, both time happened because of hitting deepish water with hot brakes, both were accidental as I do know what happens, but your wife's description matches that closely.

As someone said drive it yourself if you lightly put your foot on the brake and feel it back through the steering wheel that is quite likely what it is.

I've never heard of brake fluid causing shudder, something is out of alignment or has hard spots?????? Back in my old race days we would purposely shim the discs to give a little run out so the pads were knocked off the discs making for less rolling resistance, that was when we had 2 and 4 spot calipers and you wouldn't feel it. Now with 1 spot calipers, any deviation in the disc is magnified like crazy, mine are just starting to do it again so I've bought a new set off dimpled and slotted discs just haven't gotten around to fitting them yet.

·
Registered
nissan
212 Posts
Anyone using DOT 5 in their patrol? Considered it when I put in new brake lines but couldn't be bothered flushing the lines. Now I'm about to do front and rear pads and rotors I'm once again considering it. Means less maintenance. Meant to mean less wear on seals etc. And I don't know how (based on my trade knowledge of hydraulics) but better pedal feel aswell. I believe it's also hydrophobic so may be better for up here in NQ Evan thought I've not had an issue before.

EDIT: scratch that. Very hard to flush the system completely and hard to bleed properly. Also said it improves brake feel due to it being more stable at higher temps. But being hard to bleed may be the killer for me as I have to bleed everything by myself in my garage and I'm not buying an air self bleeder for one job

1 - 11 of 11 Posts