Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

Registered
nissan
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys looking at maybe powdercoating my rims black instead of forking out for new alloys does anybody roughly no what cost is involved.Just want to no if you have done what they turn out like.Still not 100% sure what I will do go back to 16s and get steel rims or stay with the 17s.Why are the good tyres so bloody expensive 馃榿馃榿

Registered
nissan
Discussion Starter #2
Oh by the way anyone who has powdercoated there rims feel free to post some pictures.
Cheers

Every dog has his day
2005 TD42 GUIV
Check out this fella's build thread;

http://www.patrol4x4.com/forum/members-rides-19/deanos-gu-st-l-168201/

Trublue has from memory plastidipped or something his rims black not powder coat. I met him at WA forum meet a few weeks ago and his rims looked great. Maybe ask on his thread or PM him for more info I don't know much about the process sorry :)

Registered
nissan
I've had alloy rims acid dipped and powder coated, but not on a Patrol. On my 32 skyline it cost me $240 for a set of four for the whole job, was coated in metallic silver with a clear. I have NO idea how they did it so cheap, I expected that price per rim!

However, I found after a fairly heavy track day that the coating had hair like cracks all through it. I believe the rim was flexing through the corners but the coating wasn't flexing as much. I have no idea if this is a common thing or whether you would have the same issue with a 4WD, this is just my experience with powder coated alloys.

Registered
Nissan
Yep, as Lee said, I've Plasti-dipped my factory alloys black. It's like $25 a can and I used three, so $75 all up. It's held up really well over the past year, through mud, sand, and even the Gerni can't budge it. Obviously it's not gonna last for ever, was just after the look until I get some new rims.

Like all painting jobs, it's all in the prep. I removed all four rims, cleaned them with the Gerni and soapy water, then wiped all rims down with wax and grease remover. First coat is just a dusting coating then I followed with three wet coats and let them dry for 24 hours before refitting them. Plasti-dip also do a glossifier if your wanting the gloss look.

Anyway, I'll throw some pics up for ya.

Also, how funny do patrols look with no tyres on them, haha.

This is the latest pic I have to see how they're wearing. This was taken a week ago.

Every dog has his day
2005 TD42 GUIV
GLOSSIFIER?????

Is that a bloody word???

1 - 7 of 7 Posts