Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
4x4 Addiction
nissan
9,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am chasing some real figures on what your average power bill was before going to solar and what they are averaging now?

With power bills constantly going up without my usage increasing and solar technology getting more effecient and cheaper I am thinking going too solar.

·
Registered
nissan
21,635 Posts
Work out the capital cost of solar installation. You might find it will take ten years before you see a positive benefit. Will you still be living in the same house?

I believe solar energy is a great idea...the way of the future. Unfortunately our inept Federal and State Governments are just not able to manage the concept and have no realistic means of promoting the development.

·
Registered
nissan
1,339 Posts
Fun thing to try - Take the amount of money you yourself would have to fork out after gov't rebates etc and put it into a high interest savings account. Each time you get a power bill, take the money out of only that account. By the time that account is empty, solar should have improved a reasonable bit, and would be really worth getting.

I'd get it if I won Lotto, but at the moment, spending well under $1k/pa on electricity means that it'd take ten years at current prices for an array of the size I'd want to repay itself.

·
4x4 Addiction
nissan
9,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My current power bills are $450 quarter so $1800 a year and the next one coming will be up +6% and it will be going up soon again. We are as try and save power where we can, all appliences that aren't being used get switched off at the walls, all light bulbs are energy efficient, at night we only have the lights on in the room we are in, air-con is our only luxury that we can't live with out up here, we only use it during summer for sleeping at night.

I have seen 1.48kw kits installed for $2,395.

·
Registered
nissan
863 Posts
If the gubbermint was really concerned with Carbon emissions and not making money, they would make it so everyone could have a solar setup on their roof for hot water and power.
Lol my dad has been saying this for the last 10 years, he believes every new house built should be required to have solar panels & a rainwater tank (even if only for garden use)

He & mum had solar installed last year (took them a while to save & he was waiting for a decent scheme) they paid $13k up front got $8k rebate & I think mum said the power bill has dropped from $350 per quarter to $275-$300 per quarter. To them it's quite the difference.

Chris

Black & Grey '88 GQ TB42

·
Registered
nissan
4,831 Posts
We've had a 3.6kW solar system for around 8 months, last power bill had a $50 credit all other bills have had around the$250-$300 credits this is all on top of $250(average) bill.
For us solar is doing fine but now with the reduction in rebates from 40cents to around the 19cent mark and not allowed anymore than a 5kW unit it wouldn't be worth it unless you have some tax benefit somehow.
Glort hit the nail on the head! if gubbermint really interested credits would go up not down.

Note my system is as small as was possible to cover our average power usage, 1.5kW system will be a waste of money to most households, only 2 in our house and I'm away 8 days a fortnight.

·
Registered
139 Posts
It's a scam to shut the greenies up.:p
You will get less $ for what you put in,:(
the power supplier's will put up cost's,:rolleyes:
so you get nothing out of it.:confused:
But it's job's now & your spending money,:cool:
just what government want's:eviltong:

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,520 Posts
Been looking into this for years, you really need a minimum of 3.6kwh system to get any real benefit. My neighbour has a 15kwh system, bloody huge gets cheques from the power company every quarter but, I would be well and truly dead and buried before I made my money back......... He now has a problem with his panels, 25 of the 30+ that he has have a yellowish tinge to them and the efficiency has dropped dramatically and these are only 2 years old, sure they will be changed at no cost to him but what a pain in the arse.

So I am going to hang on a little longer and see what happens.

·
Registered
nissan
570 Posts
those people for solar will give you positive info, those against will give negative.

For me, mine is a 3kw system, and it eliminates my bill totally and a bit extra. I am not looking to make money, but at the moment its a bonus. For me, as electricity costs rise, then the payback time reduces.

The govt have already shown us that electricity prices are rising rapidly and will continue to do so. If I lived in NSW (15% rise quoted on the national news), my next bill would have been $60 more than this one, without an increase in usage. Fortunately, I live in SA and even though there is a price rise, the bonus on solar credits is legislated until 2028.

As a bit of interest, the only real disappointment is the reduction in the price of REC's, because of the flood of them on the market. For those who dont know, they are bought and sold like shares. The Govt has no say in the price, only on the number od REC's assigned to your system.

Its really as simple as anything alternate, eg LPG on a car, read up, sort the drama from the facts, and make a decision for yourself. Forums are notorious for extreme reactions, bit like a front bar discussion. Its no different than buying a car, eg a 3.0 litre GU.

·
Registered
Nissan
221 Posts
My parents installed a 1kw system about 18 months ago and halved their power bill from $400 to $200.(All up I think it cost them about $2,000 overall from the grants etc..)They were so impressed by this that they decided to get a second 2kw system and bridge the system to make 3kw and are now receiving payments of around $250 from what ever energy provider they're with. All up they would have spent $10,000 as the second system was not covered by the grants. So 12 months on they have had about $1000 worth of cheques from the power company.

·
Registered
nissan patrol gu 4x4
980 Posts
The new player is coming, albeit a few years away I suspect.
Ceramic Fuel Cells Limited :: BlueGen
They will be built in Germany, for quality, but an Aussie invention.
Currently very expensive but as production goes up, prices come down.
Gas is about half the price of electricity

I was talking to a solar installer a little while ago and he said to get rebates on bigger solar systems, he installed several smaller systems

·
It's all good
nissan patrol
4,206 Posts
Been looking into this for years, you really need a minimum of 3.6kwh system to get any real benefit.
So I am going to hang on a little longer and see what happens.
X 2 , our bills are usually about 350 - 400 dollars a quater

·
Registered
nissan
73 Posts
I can tell you that solar has improved my power bill by heaps, and the best thing i have done
saying this i did mine when i got the full Goverment Rebate.
But i have also gone out of my way too switch off all un necessery items off from my power points
solar power will not do it alone, you need to be power wise and you will save money by switching off power items that dont need to be on

·
Registered
nissan
253 Posts
solar power

Had a 1.5kW system installed just over one year ago, so we have a year of data.

Quarterly bills used to be about $150.
We now get paid a credit by the energy mob. :bananaro:

....and yes we leave lights on, leave things turned on at the wall, have pool pump, pond pump etc.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
3,907 Posts
Had a 1.5kW system installed just over one year ago, so we have a year of data.

Quarterly bills used to be about $150.
We now get paid a credit by the energy mob. :bananaro:

....and yes we leave lights on, leave things turned on at the wall, have pool pump, pond pump etc.
What type of hot water system do you have? I want to get a gas one or solar as it should almost zero out my bill.

·
Registered
Nissan
6,063 Posts
What type of hot water system do you have? I want to get a gas one or solar as it should almost zero out my bill.
Years ago, late 80's, my best mates mum worked for a solar hot water company and had a system installed.

The gas company replaced the gas meter 6 times as the didn't believe the gas usage was so low! They thought the meter must have been faulty.

Cheers

Justin

·
The Googlest, Apparently!
nissan patrol
15,803 Posts
From a perspective that may be only relevant to my wife and I, and as Glort says, maybe out of a lot of peoples price range (fark, am I really implying I agree with Glort!!).

We are currently designing a new house that we will want to keep as a semi-permanent Oz residence (intention is to spend the Oz summer here, and the winter in the south of France).

So we are going as power efficient as we can, which includes solar power / hot water, under floor solar heating (requires double concrete pad with insulation between), double glazing, vaulted ceilings with north facing glass, and the list goes on.

Sure it will add quite a bit up front to the cost of building, but this is for retirement. So anything that can be done now while income is not limited to reduce the draw on a self funded pension and give us more in spending money on a weekly / monthly / quarterly basis is worth it anyway you look at it.

The cost will also be offset to some degree by the size of the house, kids are gone, so we are going for a small compact house instead of the sprawling joint we have now, and also on a smaller block as we cant be arsed with the whole gardening / weeding thing.

We were asked why the heating aspect if we will not be here for the winter, case of hope for the best, plan for the worst, Europe may turn to shyte and Oz will become permanent (or vice versa, going by the current government).

I guess what I am driving at is yes it will cost you in a one off, likely take a long time to recoup the outlay and the upkeep should be kept in mind, but the benefit of extra bucks in your hip pocket each week going forward should not be over looked (spiraling cost of living, and not just utilities, but food, water, fuel, taxes etc).

I could not care less about money back from excess power generated as you can bet that eventually the rebates will be gone altogether sooner or later, and no rain water tanks either, I pish more than we get in rain in WA except for about one month a year.

·
Registered
nissan
253 Posts
I'm literally just about to order a solar hot water system, which I'll size so that I'll barely have to if at all boost.

This should see me free of utility bills.

Regarding the abolition of solar feed in rebates in future....yes it will happen, but by then I'll have paid back the price of the solar panels and still have not bills.

·
Registered
nissan
751 Posts
Just moved to NSW this year, what a bloody shock WRT the price difference of power bills. Gas for heating a hot water here and its seperate on the bill. Dont use any electric heating devices etc but the electricity alone here was a good 150-200 a 1/4 more then QLD (QLD had elec heating/hot water also)

Spoke to a few blokes at work and most are getting a combined gas/elec bill of over a grand...FARK I thought mine was exy.

AND ITS MEANT TO GO UP ANOTHER 20% :-(

·
Gunner
nissan patrol
4,162 Posts
Just moved to NSW this year, what a bloody shock WRT the price difference of power bills. Gas for heating a hot water here and its seperate on the bill. Dont use any electric heating devices etc but the electricity alone here was a good 150-200 a 1/4 more then QLD (QLD had elec heating/hot water also)

Spoke to a few blokes at work and most are getting a combined gas/elec bill of over a grand...FARK I thought mine was exy.

AND ITS MEANT TO GO UP ANOTHER 20% :-(
Funnily enough mine has gone the opposite way, moved up here from canberra and our bill has gone down. Hope it stays that way, Gotta teach damn kid to turn stuff off.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts