Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
nissan patrol
2,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to run some power cable to a garden shed I have just put up.
I need to know what size cable to buy.
I have four double power points and to single fluro's. Have two circuit breakers on a board on the wall, 16 amp and 10 amp.
The cable is coming from the house which is 15m from main power box.
This is just a garden shed, 4mx2m. no welding or anything.
I was thinking 6mm square.

cheers.

·
Registered
nissan
128 Posts
Run 6mm... to a little Distribution board. You will get 40amps out of it safely.

Split the power circuits up on to two 16a CB's And one 10a for the lighting circuit Lighting Circuit.

You could put all power on the same circuit but split them up just to be safe out there if your grinding and all that...

Id be using MCB/RCD's if i were you aswell....

·
Registered
nissan
128 Posts
Disclaimer lol

PS make sure you know what your doing things can go bad quick... Dont blame me either if something goes wrong

·
Registered
nissan
1,039 Posts
Run 6mm... to a little Distribution board. You will get 40amps out of it safely.

Split the power circuits up on to two 16a CB's And one 10a for the lighting circuit Lighting Circuit.

You could put all power on the same circuit but split them up just to be safe out there if your grinding and all that...

Id be using MCB/RCD's if i were you aswell....
Exactly what i was going to say lol

·
Premium Member
1975 G60, 1989 GQ, 2013 GU
1,408 Posts
I am going to run some power cable to a garden shed I have just put up.
I need to know what size cable to buy.
I have four double power points and to single fluro's. Have two circuit breakers on a board on the wall, 16 amp and 10 amp.
The cable is coming from the house which is 15m from main power box.
This is just a garden shed, 4mx2m. no welding or anything.
I was thinking 6mm square.

cheers.
Mate best and safest thing to do is ring a sparky and get the job done right

TRev

·
BORDERTREK 4X4 & FABRICATION
8,549 Posts
Mate best and safest thing to do is ring a sparky and get the job done right

TRev
X2 if something goes wrong and someone gets electrocuted or shed burns down and there's no COC signed off for the install by a sparky your insurance co. will say f**k off. The sparky will only sign the COC if he does the job himself.
There's more to it than just using the right bits and cable etc, the whole install has to be done a certain way to certain standards even the cable routing etc, right Trev?

·
Registered
nissan
11,180 Posts
A way to save some coin is speak to a sparkie. U run all the wires and fit pps and circuit breakers and just get him to hook up and test. Most would be happy to do this. Worth a shot

·
Registered
nissan patrol
2,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
A way to save some coin is speak to a sparkie. U run all the wires and fit pps and circuit breakers and just get him to hook up and test. Most would be happy to do this. Worth a shot Today 01:49 AM

That is what I am doing, I did ring two sparkie, but neither would tell me what size wire to use without doing the job.
I knew the sizes for power and lights from when I did the Tag and test course at tafe but not sure on the other.
Thank for all help as I know this is a touchy subject where someones life could be lost if not done right.

cheers shane.

·
Premium Member
1975 G60, 1989 GQ, 2013 GU
1,408 Posts
Sorry edit

Just been searching about this and found some useful info. The power services is cracking down of home owners doing there own electrical work without holding a electrical workers license. So i think you may have to fork out the money and get a sparky to do the whole job while you sit back and enjoy and nice cold stubbie :D

TRev

·
Registered
nissan
1,339 Posts
Pretty sure it's not even legal to run the wires and let the sparkies hook 'em up.

The laws in Australia on this sort of stuff really pisses me off, it's a pathetic bloody nanny state. The Kiwis from memory can do a short TAFE course and then legally can wire up their entire house, but over here you've either got to go through a few years of bugger all pay, or take the risk of being bent over and rogered by a dodgy sparky, still plenty of them out there :(

·
Registered
nissan patrol
2,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I don't know about the laws but when I did the granny flat up the back, I ran all the 16mm square from boundary to the granny flat and all wiring in the flat. Wired all the lights, power points and switches + the saftey switch. left it all hanging out the wall to be checked.
I had a sparkie check it and signed the paper for the council and insurance mob. All Ok. that was 15 years ago though.
I will do the same this time.
I also did all plumbing and sewer except the final connection and the plumber signed off on that. Council did a flow check all good.
Rules could of changed now so I dont know what will happen but it all is wired right I cant see why not.

cheers.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Im a sparkie from perth and i would never sign a job i haven't done, it could test ok at the time but after awhile a fault could come up and burn the shed down then its all on me im the one with a license to loose and thats my job so i wont let that happen. I dont care when people do it them selfs it not my prob when it goes pare shaped. Theirs a few ways you could do it run a 2.5mm cable and do a mixed circuit which means 2.5mm for lights and power you cant drop in cable size, or run a 6mm and have 2 rcd/mcb for power and light which gets expensive, as you said its just a garden shed use the 2.5mm and do a mixed circuit. Id suggest to get a sparkie to do the job get him to have a look and ask if there is any thing you could do your self to save on labour cost

·
Registered
nissan
4,831 Posts
Pretty sure it's not even legal to run the wires and let the sparkies hook 'em up.

The laws in Australia on this sort of stuff really pisses me off, it's a pathetic bloody nanny state. The Kiwis from memory can do a short TAFE course and then legally can wire up their entire house, but over here you've either got to go through a few years of bugger all pay, or take the risk of being bent over and rogered by a dodgy sparky, still plenty of them out there :(
NZ runs on the same set of standards as OZ, unless the rules changed drastically in last 5 years, there's not a s#$t show in hell you can wire up an entire house, and like wise if you did you would struggle to find a Electrician that would connect it, an electricians licence is his livelyhood no licence no job, the ones that connect up s$%t like this #$%%#&#&$&*($
Ahh had my rant
Yes there are certain aspects of the game that make it a nanny state but mostly are safety based

1 - 14 of 14 Posts