Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
'00TD42T
11,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My '00 GU is going well steering box has no leaks etc. I was thinking though the fluid is 15 years old, should it be replaced?
If so, how hard is it to do?

·
Registered
9,518 Posts
Yes I was going to do mine with Transmax Z as I also use it in the auto and transfer case but it was to much of a pain to do a full flush myself.

Instead I bought Penrite power steering fluid and a fluid pump/syringe thing from a local auto store. Sucked the fluid out of the reservoir with the big syringe and re-filed then drove the car around the block and repeated the process three times. Now it is a nice clean red color again.

·
Registered
Nissan patrol gq
751 Posts
Anybody use the NULON power steering fluid with the stop leak formula ? I have been using it but am about to fit a hydro booster & am wondering if I should change to a different fluid.

·
Registered
'00TD42T
11,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks fellas. I'll do the bottom hose and we've got 50 ml syringes at work. Transmax z coming up :)

·
Registered
nissan
11,155 Posts
another way is to remove return hose from res and put into a bucket. and then if you can keep up run the engine and top up as you go and it will literally flush the old crap out and fill with new at the same time. its best done with 2 people and just litterally start and straight away stop the engine a few times. works a treat.
but yes definitely flush it. its a small canister that works fairly hard. and oil does loose its ability to lubricate and also old fluid causes seals to dry out and fail sooner.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts