Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
GQ Dual Cab. TD42Ti with fruit.
5,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have seen lots of discussion about swapping power steering pumps from GU into a GQ, with the end result being that the pump bolts straight in and is essentially the same except for a smaller pulley.

My question is in relation to the mounting points of the GU pump on the timing case. There are two mounts that bolt to the timing case and then the pump bolts to them.

I have just tried to bolt my GQ pump from a 1993 model onto a TD42Ti engine and the lower mount that bolts on to the timing case near the injector pump has different bolt spacing to the GQ timing case.

Does anyone know if both pumps have the same mounting points on them? By this I mean that even though the bolt holes in the timing case are different between models that the actual mounts to the pump are in the same position.

·
Registered
5,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
This is hard to explain so I have taken a photo of the mount fitted to my GQ riming case. On the GU TD42Ti timing case the bolts are closer together vertically by about 5mm, so this mount will not fit on.

If I get a GU mount, will the GQ pump bolt to it, and put the pump in the right spot in relation to the top mount and drive belt pulley?

Are the GU mounts of a similar design with just different bolt spacing?

·
Registered
nissan patrol
2,149 Posts
the bracket is upside down? - It is in the pic anyhow. It goes 2 bolts in the top and 1 on the bottom right

I just measured a 1990 and 2001 and they are both the same.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
2,149 Posts
Exhibit A, from twothousandandonetd42. ^ is top of engine. Note the marks where bracket used to live before his missus kicked him out

EDIT: ^ is up on my pic but after uploading from my idrone it has turned and now <---- Is top of engine
EDIT EDIT: The extra part to the ----> ( bottom of bracket) is where that vac pump bolts too on the more modern dinosaurs
image.jpg

·
Registered
5,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the bracket is upside down? - It is in the pic anyhow. It goes 2 bolts in the top and 1 on the bottom right

I just measured a 1990 and 2001 and they are both the same.
No, it isn't upside down, and it has 4 bolts the same as yours, the last bolt is just hidden in the pic.

Thanks for the info on the models. Mine is a 93, so would be the same as your 1990 case, and now we know 2001 as well.

The Ti timing case is different due to the vacuum pump mounts, and also the cover plate for the injector pump gear is different too. During the re-design of the timing case they have changed the bolt centres too it seems.

·
Registered
nissan/gq patrol
589 Posts
Your tunnel bolt should be on the bottom then you should have a size 14 in the middle and a size 12 above it

·
Registered
nissan
25 Posts
Same Question

No, it isn't upside down, and it has 4 bolts the same as yours, the last bolt is just hidden in the pic.

Thanks for the info on the models. Mine is a 93, so would be the same as your 1990 case, and now we know 2001 as well.

The Ti timing case is different due to the vacuum pump mounts, and also the cover plate for the injector pump gear is different too. During the re-design of the timing case they have changed the bolt centres too it seems.
Hi,

Did you ever get to the bottom of this? I have a GQ and I'm 90% into an engine swap to a later model black top. The lower bracket isn't fitting correctly by approx. 5mm.

Is it pointless tracking down a GU bracket?

Cheers
Adam

·
Registered
5,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No I didn't actually. So the answer of what bits changed when I don't know.

I just modified my bracket to make it fit the timing case. From memory, I ground it flat and then put two new holes where I needed them.

·
Registered
nissan
25 Posts

I just modified my bracket to make it fit the timing case. From memory, I ground it flat and then put two new holes where I needed them.

Thank you heaps for the reply! I've been told they were changed from 1996 onwards. My blacktop is out of a later model GU. The part is $175 from Nissan and so far every wreckers I've called doesn't have one. I will just do what you did.

·
Registered
nissan
25 Posts

For anyone who reads this i managed to track down a GU model bracket and that fitted perfectly, I can certainly say there is a difference between a 1988 silver top and late 90's blacktop in regards to the bracket.

The GU bracket only has three holes also.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts