Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Premium Member
2003 ZD30 Di Patrol (The rare Gold one)
25,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Introducing the Power Train glow plug timer from REPCO. This is currently available in store for $53.99 retail. It has a 0 to 20 seconds primary timer as well as a 0 to 20 seconds afterglow feature which pulses the glow plugs for the set time. (Would be helpful in a very cold climate.) Setting the time is a one button operation and very easy to do. Screen will count down time as well as light up a LED when activated.
This timer circuit mod will only provide power to the glow plugs when the engine is cold. If the engine is up to operating temperature the glow plugs won’t receive power at startup.

Retail Package.jpg
Items required:
Powertrain Glow Plug Timer
Relay. (I use the Narva 72386 12v 30a but you could use any good quality relay.)
Red and black wire.
Fuse holder with 5a fuse.
3 x red female spade terminals.
1 x blue female spade terminal.
Solder and soldering iron.
Electrical tape and heatshrink. (Heatshrink is always neater. [FONT=&quot]��[/FONT])

Method:
1. Carefully remove ignition shroud being careful not to damage Key reader. Unplug the connector that has a Blue wire with Pink dot on back of ignition barrel. Strip a small bit of insulation and solder on the power wire for the timer. Cover joint in tape and reinstall shroud. (This power feed turns on with ignition and does not turn off whilst starter motor is in operation unlike most other power feeds.)
Blue with pink dot from back of ignition.jpg

2. Solder power feed through 5a fuse to the RED wire on timer.

3. Crimp red spade terminal to BLUE wire on timer and connect to pin 86 on relay.
4. Heatshrink or tape up YELLOW and BROWN timer wires as they are not required.
Blue wire.jpg
5. Twist together a length of earth wire with the BLACK timer wire and crimp on the Blue spade terminal. Connect Spade terminal to pin 85 on relay.
Earth wire.jpg

6. Connect earth wire to a body earth.
7. Unbolt ECU harness from ECU with 10mm socket and peel back cover to find the GREEN wire with BLACK stripe that goes to pin 111 on the ECU plug. Cut this wire and solder on 2 short lengths of wire to extend it about 15-20cm. Attach a spade terminal to each wire.
Green wire with black strip from ECU.jpg
8. Connect wire from ECU plug end into pin 30 on relay. Connect wire heading to glow plug relay into pin 87 on relay.

9. Turn on ignition to reds and adjust timer to suit. Hold time set button in for 3 seconds until glow led lights up. Tap button until desired time is reached. Hold button in for 3 seconds until after glow LED lights up and adjust that. Turn off ignition and it’s all set.
10. Either tuck timer under dash or mount it so it is easily seen.

Connected.jpg
Mounted.jpg
11. I still recommend having a LED that runs off the glow plug bus bar as assurance it works as it should but this is optional. If not doing this I recommend checking everything is working as it should by testing power at bus bar when timer is running.

·
Registered
nissan
15 Posts
Nice write up. Is this still required after having an ECP remap? I am planning to get my remap done in the next few weeks.

·
Every dog has his day
nissan
18,191 Posts
Good on ya Skegs (and Sydo for pointing it out) I would highly recommend this mod for anyone converting their Zd30 vehicle to a TD42 engine also, good on you for taking the time. I only recently became aware of just how long the factory ECU runs them for, not needed in our climate, great to see someone else has already figured it out for me or I'd just use a manual button :D

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
43,918 Posts

·
Registered
nissan patrol
23 Posts
Must be a firewall setting here at work. Tried on a machine back home and it worked.

Well, it`s not just that easy to sving by a store since I`m located in Sweden :)

·
Registered
2016 CRD wagon
995 Posts
Has anyone done this type of mod to a CRD? Do they glow a similar time to the DI?

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
43,918 Posts
Has anyone done this type of mod to a CRD? Do they glow a similar time to the DI?

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
Don't know for sure, think so, but put a metre on the busbar and check to make sure.

·
Registered
nissan
67 Posts
Here is a circuit diagram for those so inclined

From Skedbudley's instructions I backward engineered it to a diagram. Has his tick of approval... i claim no credit for the circuit, just drew it...

Attachments

1 - 20 of 47 Posts