Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

41 - 47 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
07 Black Patrol 3.0 / 04 Grey 3.0 Patrol / 01 3.0 Patrol
1,283 Posts
The Powertrain one is perfect for you as you can set afterglow during your freezing cold winters to keep them on a 1 second pulse for a while after the glowplugs have done their job starting the car.
It's a hell of a lot easier to wire up and set the glow time than the Kemo as well.
Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Yes i think i will be doing this one...even as it is though i am happy to have the manual glow over the factory for the reason you know they don't stay on as long and i can at least control that. The only concern with my current set up is cold mornings i have to glow them for ages (At least when the Patrol was last running fine) after start up it would run rough if i stopped glowing so my concern here was they had to be on full power the whole time once i push the button i had no more control over that.I had them wired through the main relay though which is better but i know the factory set up reduces power to the busbar once engine has started.

·
Premium Member
2003 ZD30 Di Patrol (The rare Gold one)
25,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Yes i think i will be doing this one...even as it is though i am happy to have the manual glow over the factory for the reason you know they don't stay on as long and i can at least control that. The only concern with my current set up is cold mornings i have to glow them for ages (At least when the Patrol was last running fine) after start up it would run rough if i stopped glowing so my concern here was they had to be on full power the whole time once i push the button i had no more control over that.I had them wired through the main relay though which is better but i know the factory set up reduces power to the busbar once engine has started.
Let me know if you can't source the powertrain timer locally mate. I will happily ship you one from here if you can't find one. They are pretty small and light so postage won't be much. They retail for around $50 here.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Hi @skegbudley I know you have now done two very instructive articles on ZD30 glow plug timers - this one for the Repco product and the earlier one for the Kymco product but is not a simple on/off switch even easier? My 2002 GU3 ST variant has a vacant switch slot above the 'Heat' switch that would look to be a perfect place for a simple on/off switch - it would come down to: 'Climb into the Patrol, turn on the on/off switch, turn on the ignition, put on seatbelt (by the time I've done that the glowplug light has gone out), start engine, and 10-15 secs later, turn off the on/off switch. What advantages are there to going down one of the two more complicated timer options? Thanks, Stephen

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
43,918 Posts
Hi @skegbudley I know you have now done two very instructive articles on ZD30 glow plug timers - this one for the Repco product and the earlier one for the Kymco product but is not a simple on/off switch even easier? My 2002 GU3 ST variant has a vacant switch slot above the 'Heat' switch that would look to be a perfect place for a simple on/off switch - it would come down to: 'Climb into the Patrol, turn on the on/off switch, turn on the ignition, put on seatbelt (by the time I've done that the glowplug light has gone out), start engine, and 10-15 secs later, turn off the on/off switch. What advantages are there to going down one of the two more complicated timer options? Thanks, Stephen
I won't answer for Skegs but from my point of view I fitted the very early Kemo GP Timer (and wrote it up in my build thread) many years ago and before doing it I looked at all my options, I decided to go the automated route where everything is idiot proofed. Many years later and still working fine.

·
Premium Member
2003 ZD30 Di Patrol (The rare Gold one)
25,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Having a fully automated system means you can start the Patrol like normal. Forget to turn off the switch and you will burn it out and do damage to the engine.
If other people drive your car they are more likely to have problems.
The Powertrain timer mod takes 10min to do if you already have a switch. It's dead simple to assemble and set the timer. Not complicated at all.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Having a fully automated system means you can start the Patrol like normal. Forget to turn off the switch and you will burn it out and do damage to the engine.
If other people drive your car they are more likely to have problems.
The Powertrain timer mod takes 10min to do if you already have a switch. It's dead simple to assemble and set the timer. Not complicated at all.

OK, thanks @skegbudley - my reason for asking is that I'm prehistoric in my understanding of the dark art of electrics & electronics. An On/Off switch in the power lead between the ECU and glowplugs seemed to be the simplest possible path of all. I'll work on getting my head around the Powertrain timer mod.

41 - 47 of 47 Posts