Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
61 - 80 of 104 Posts

·
Premium Member
2003 ZD30 Di Patrol (The rare Gold one)
25,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
You definitely don't want grease on any of the terminals as that will cause issues.
.The connector that plugs into the busbar is notorious for failing. It either falls off. Gets crud in it which gives it a bad connection or the wire breaks internally. Have seen several with internal breakages. Definitely check for power at the plug end then along the cable.
Glow plugs need to be disconected from busbar in order to test them although that won't effect power going to them. (Always good to test them when you get the chance anyway)
Does the relay that's attached to the Powertrain timer click when the timer starts?

·
Registered
12 Posts
You definitely don't want grease on any of the terminals as that will cause issues.
.The connector that plugs into the busbar is notorious for failing. It either falls off. Gets crud in it which gives it a bad connection or the wire breaks internally. Have seen several with internal breakages. Definitely check for power at the plug end then along the cable.
Glow plugs need to be disconected from busbar in order to test them although that won't effect power going to them. (Always good to test them when you get the chance anyway)
Does the relay that's attached to the Powertrain timer click when the timer starts?
Better advise than I was about to post. Forget the glow plugs until you have found the fault.

·
Premium Member
Nissan patrol GU
303 Posts
Yes relay to Powertrain clicks, have put grease on thread that screws into head not terminal end , did wipe cable terminal that attached to busbar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
Nissan patrol GU
303 Posts
Better advise than I was about to post. Forget the glow plugs until you have found the fault.
Agree, ruled out glow plugs, l recall the first start with power train the led light started to get dimmer and dimmer once it went to after glow according to my brother, so thinking skegbudley might be on the money with connector.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2003 ZD30 Patrol
207 Posts
G’day @skegbudley i want to make the timer go to 20 seconds as it’s getting bloody cold here now (-2 this morning) but I’ve thrown out all the packaging. Do you still have anything on how to do it? I don’t want to just go pushing buttons just in case I stuff something up.

·
Premium Member
2003 ZD30 Di Patrol (The rare Gold one)
25,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
G’day @skegbudley i want to make the timer go to 20 seconds as it’s getting bloody cold here now (-2 this morning) but I’ve thrown out all the packaging. Do you still have anything on how to do it? I don’t want to just go pushing buttons just in case I stuff something up.
ZD30 Steven beat me to it so Ill move onto the 2nd part I was going to mention.
If your engine was starting happily enough on it's previous time setting when the weather was warmer. I would set the afterglow instead. It pulses the voltage going to the glowplugs so it will help the engine warm up without going to their maximum temp like they do when they are powered full time. It's designed for cold weather starting and makes quite a difference. Much better than cooking the head for a extended period. Try having the primary glowplug timer just for starting the car then have the afterglow run for around 20-30 seconds and see how that works.

·
Registered
2003 ZD30 Patrol
207 Posts
ZD30 Steven beat me to it so Ill move onto the 2nd part I was going to mention.
If your engine was starting happily enough on it's previous time setting when the weather was warmer. I would set the afterglow instead. It pulses the voltage going to the glowplugs so it will help the engine warm up without going to their maximum temp like they do when they are powered full time. It's designed for cold weather starting and makes quite a difference. Much better than cooking the head for a extended period. Try having the primary glowplug timer just for starting the car then have the afterglow run for around 20-30 seconds and see how that works.
Great idea @skegbudley I’ll do that instead of the normal glow.
What would you recommend as an afterglow time. I still might set the normal glow to 15 seconds though. I’m getting some very cold mornings lately

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol
15 Posts
Hi Guys,

As it was time to replace the glow plugs Bosch gph900 which were installed when engine was rebuild.The first glow plug had the top section come apart which explains why she was hard to start in the Melbourne winter mornings.
I did the Powertrain timer with the led connected to the buzz bar in November last year and has been working as it should.
These glow plugs reach just short 10400klms.
This time round have gone with genuine Nissan ceramics.

Attachments

Reactions: Zd30 Steven

·
Premium Member
Nissan patrol GU
303 Posts
Just confirming I have finally solved my issue . Everything works sweet now.. The issue was the Narva relay 4pin , seems it was faulty, replaced with new one and power to the buzzbar. I replaced the following items during problem solving. Glow plug relay, ECM relay, LED and glow plugs.

·
Premium Member
2004 ZD30di ST-L
83 Posts
Can 3mm 10 amp cable ok from busbar to l.e.d .(ok to use checking glow plug duration )just want to see duration of glow plugs in different start up temperatures in morning
thats perfectly fine. can even use 0.5mm wire as the current is very small.

Can the LED indicator be tapped in here? I'm guessing off the bus bar would be another cable through firewall...

·
Registered
nissan
66 Posts
You can see the front of the busbar just under the intercooler. The rest of it is under the cooler. I think most people just put the wire onto the nut on one of the glow plugs. I have attached an image off google of it and will circle the wire that goes to the busbar for you.

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
49,556 Posts
View attachment 524314

Can the LED indicator be tapped in here? I'm guessing off the bus bar would be another cable through firewall...
My LED indicator is mounted under the steering wheel and connected to the buzbar at the back under the IC, then run through the firewall, keeping the run short and mainly out of the way. I don't run this type of timer, mine is a much older version of another brand, even though it has its own indicator I like to have this separate LED as a back up that stands out.

·
Premium Member
Nissan patrol GU
303 Posts
Back of buzzbar is where I have mine also. Easy to get at and no need to remove anything to install apart from nut on the back of buzzbar

Reactions: RAGGQ and Hords

·
Premium Member
2004 ZD30di ST-L
83 Posts
Went to start this this arvo. Read at the start of this thread to be mindful of the key reader. Doing a search I learnt some people had a bit of misfortune with the key reader but no pics. So am I correct to assume this is it?

Anyway, I assume this is the connector at the back of the barrel going by wiring colours

and then someone tapped in before me :(

·
Premium Member
2004 ZD30di ST-L
83 Posts
My LED indicator is mounted under the steering wheel and connected to the buzbar at the back under the IC
@geeyoutoo I don't know how you have the dexterity to attach at the rear... I'll shorten mine when the TB comes out I guess.

At least the indicator is working and it cut out after the full factory 5 minutes.

Now to finish it off.
Powertrain timer is $64.99 now at Repco. Covid inflation...

61 - 80 of 104 Posts