Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

81 - 90 of 90 Posts

·
Premium Member
2004 ZD30di ST-L
76 Posts
Went to finish this off today. Double checked everything on completion. Turned on ignition and set timer for 20 seconds glow and 0 pulse. Turned ignition off to set. Turned to ignition again and timer starts counting down. Dash glow light goes off around 15 seconds remaining so into start. So watching led indicator anticipating it to turn off at timer zero mark and nothing. Remained lit for the factory 5 minutes. Any thoughts would be appreciated. I could not get the ECU harness connector cover/shell off but there is only one light green wire with black stripe in that bundle just like the pics at the start of this thread.

·
Premium Member
Nissan patrol GU
284 Posts
Went to finish this off today. Double checked everything on completion. Turned on ignition and set timer for 20 seconds glow and 0 pulse. Turned ignition off to set. Turned to ignition again and timer starts counting down. Dash glow light goes off around 15 seconds remaining so into start. So watching led indicator anticipating it to turn off at timer zero mark and nothing. Remained lit for the factory 5 minutes. Any thoughts would be appreciated. I could not get the ECU harness connector cover/shell off but there is only one light green wire with black stripe in that bundle just like the pics at the start of this thread.
Check ecu Pin 111 end to relay (30) and other cut end to relay(87). Sounds like ecu pin 111 not going into relay to timer.

Reactions: Hords

·
Premium Member
2004 ZD30di ST-L
76 Posts
Whoops, better reply follow up seeing it was 3 weeks ago. That old saying measure (this case look) twice cut once rings a bell. Re post #83 above, I disconnected relay at 30 & 87 and buss bar still stayed on factory 5 minutes. Did I cut the wrong wire? Looked profusely to see if there was another light green with black stripe wire but didn't see one. Surely a plug of that caliber would not repeat the same wire code. Saw one of @geeyoutoo posts with a pic of the ECU plug cap shell off and thought I better take that approach too rather than unfurling the wiring harness past that. Once cap off I confirmed my stuff up.

and what I ended up finally cutting after resoldering the f up.

Needless to say it works now as it should. Set to just 20 seconds with no afterglow. Thanks to all others too that offered advice.
Long live my glow plugs...

·
Registered
44 Posts
Thanks to skeg for the awesome write ups. After discovering this thread with the new timer I’m more inclined to do the mod. I didn’t particularly like the kemo one. Aesthetics is everything. Also the different model numbers not working looked like a headache.
My question is should I still do this mod? 250000 clicks on the motor obviously it’s been glowing the factory way for some time now.

my plugs are worn and are due to be replaced and only came to find the timer issue by chance when looking up if metal tips were suitable. After seeing that it was advised to do a timer mod with metal tips. I decided to order some standard ngk ceramics in hopes I could just stick them in and get away with it.

will I still see any benefit installing it now? And if I do go ahead and install it should I cancel my order and opt for the metal tips. Or just stick with ceramic.

I also hear that ceramics last 100k under normal Nissan control conditions. I would be happy enough of my engine done another 100k. I doubt I’ll see that.

·
Premium Member
2004 ZD30di ST-L
76 Posts
Five minutes seems like an excessive time to be powering on for our conditions. I merely went by the advice of some other members here whom I appreciate their worthy advice. Having said that, I'm happy its done. Set for just straight 20 seconds without issues.

·
Premium Member
2003 ZD30 Di Patrol (The rare Gold one)
25,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #87
Thanks to skeg for the awesome write ups. After discovering this thread with the new timer I’m more inclined to do the mod. I didn’t particularly like the kemo one. Aesthetics is everything. Also the different model numbers not working looked like a headache.
My question is should I still do this mod? 250000 clicks on the motor obviously it’s been glowing the factory way for some time now.

my plugs are worn and are due to be replaced and only came to find the timer issue by chance when looking up if metal tips were suitable. After seeing that it was advised to do a timer mod with metal tips. I decided to order some standard ngk ceramics in hopes I could just stick them in and get away with it.

will I still see any benefit installing it now? And if I do go ahead and install it should I cancel my order and opt for the metal tips. Or just stick with ceramic.

I also hear that ceramics last 100k under normal Nissan control conditions. I would be happy enough of my engine done another 100k. I doubt I’ll see that.
It's worth it just for the ability to run steel plugs let alone not cooking the head for 5min after every cold start. (It pays itself off with the first set of steel plugs you put in)

Yes this timer mod is easier in every way than the Kemo. Set it for 20 seconds and you are done. Afterglow is handy if you are subjected to very cold temps. Only takes a few seconds to adjust either time.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
44 Posts
Thanks fellas put it in this arvo. Easy enough install. Checked the busbar and it’s working well. Will relocate it later on. For now it’s next to the cigarette lighter. I opted for ceramic plugs again. Only for the fact they heat more efficiently. And no doubt will outlive the engine now.

·
Registered
2002 Nissan Patrol GU3 ZD30DI wagon
120 Posts
Hi @skegbudley Hi @geeyoutoo - Repco is having a 10%-20% off virtually everything sale, for auto-club members, which means that the price of the Powertrain glowplug timer has fallen to $42.75 (which is actually about a 35% discount). I wasn't about to argue with the discount but combined with the unavailability of the item in many Repco stores, I'm wondering whether Repco isn't just clearing them out.

Is there a better way to let more people know, than this little post, about the saving, and the perhaps 'You really should buy one now because they may not be available in the future, so easily'?

Stephen

Reactions: skegbudley

·
Premium Member
2003 ZD30 Di Patrol (The rare Gold one)
25,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #90
Best way to let everyone know about the sale is to do exactly what you have done. Thanks for the tip mate. That's a great price.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

81 - 90 of 90 Posts