Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,

I've just purchased a Travel Buddy oven for my up-coming trip to the High Country. The thought of hot pies in cold weather appeals to me. It will be going in the rear of my new Y61. It's the marine version which it slightly larger than the standard model and pulls about 10amps.

Question ... I have a dual battery system but I'm thinking of wiring the oven direct to the start battery so as to lessen the load on my auxiliary battery, which has my 50lt fridge on it. I thought the start battery because the oven will only be used when the motor is running.

Is this the right way to go or should I run it also off the auxiliary battery?

Bazza

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
I run my buddy off my aux, you could run it off the main battery as the truck will be running when it is plugged in. My daughter did leave the oven pluged in after she used last time -

I use a piece of baking paper under the pies to stop them from sticking to the ove - dimmys are great with a bit of water.

I now use my oven on the day trips - love it.

·
I trust your dash vents are clean...
nissan
732 Posts
Wouldnt really matter on either battery as both are being charged whilst driving and thats when you say you are using it. So long as the wiring is up to the job it wouldnt be a drama.

·
Registered
nissan patrol gq
313 Posts
Switch the power using a suitable relay switched with ignition on. That's the way I run the 3 way fridge in the camper when driving too. No chance of having a flat batt.

Sent from somewhere I wish I wasn't.

·
Registered
nissan
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks all,

Looks like a 50 -50 call. Yes the oven does have a timer, but I do take in UNKO's thinking. If I didn't set the timer, and it was on the start battery, I could flatten it. I don't like that possibility. Maybe I should stick a third battery in the back just for the oven and inverter? No risk of flattening the start or fridge battery this way.

Bazza

·
Registered
nissan
613 Posts
I've got mine wired to the AUX battery, if the cars running - the ovens then effectively runing from the alternator, but if you do shut the car off your not going to flatten your crank.

practical example. :)
Parked on the beach quietly fishing, couple of jam donuts in the oven for 15min :) yum. and car will still start when you want to go home.

·
Registered
nissan
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I ended up running in off my auxiliary battery mounted under the bonnet, but soon it will be supplied from a third battery in the rear. That battery will be charged from the battery management system and from my solar panels.
I must admit that the Travel Buddy oven has become my favourite accessory after the fridge. Heated up some pies & pizza recently ... BRILLIANT!
Bazza.

·
Registered
nissan
1,818 Posts
They sound like a good accessory to have especially in the cooler climates you can pull up for a ready made hot feed. Do you put cold pies in or pre warm them just wondering how long it takes to heat things up and what sort of distance should you keep the oven away from other items thanks. Just looked them up the recipe section has some info in it.

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
If the pies arefrozen leave to cook longer.

Frozen dimmys takearound 30min

·
Registered
nissan
2,771 Posts
Thanks. what's a dimmy
Dim sim.

The ones you get from the fish shop or in frozen packets are made of sheep entrails and ground fish heads.

·
Registered
nissan
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
They sound like a good accessory to have especially in the cooler climates you can pull up for a ready made hot feed. Do you put cold pies in or pre warm them just wondering how long it takes to heat things up and what sort of distance should you keep the oven away from other items thanks. Just looked them up the recipe section has some info in it.
Batt's,

As already said, just add about 15 minutes if frozen. I also pre-heat the oven for about 15 minutes before using it.
Only the door gets a bit warm, the body of the oven is double insulated. It's a very convenient piece of kit, specialy on a cold night or day. I heated up some frozen, pre-cooked store bought Chicko Rolls in it.
Bazza

·
Registered
nissan
1,818 Posts
Batt's,

As already said, just add about 15 minutes if frozen. I also pre-heat the oven for about 15 minutes before using it.
Only the door gets a bit warm, the body of the oven is double insulated. It's a very convenient piece of kit, specialy on a cold night or day. I heated up some frozen, pre-cooked store bought Chicko Rolls in it.
Bazza
No worries thanks

1 - 20 of 22 Posts