Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys as I don't have anyone that can help me at the moment what is a common cause of a big leak on the powersteering units??

Does the pump ever leak, if it does where from??

Or is it usually a hose??

I need to degreaser it right down as the is fluid everywhere..

Cheers

·
White & Whistlin sd33T
nissan
388 Posts
If it's coming from the pump it will be the main seal.

If you find it is this the easiest fix is to try and get a second hand unit. They are easy enough to swap over

Mine sh*t itself 800km from home in Melbourne last Easter. The seal had leaked for ages but the bearing collapsed just as I got to my sons place and chewed the whole lot out. Big dramas, but was able to get a second hand pump from one of the great guys on this forum (Thanks Muzz) and get back on the road.

If you have a good tool kit they are not too hard to rebuild.

Cheers Ric

·
Registered
nissan patrol mk
3,306 Posts
I rebuilt my pump, was pretty easy and less than a hundred bux :D Was a fun little Saturday arvo kinda job. Then I took the drive shaft down to a bearing place where I got the bearing pressed on

Too Easy :D

The press for the bearing is the only "tool" you need outside of a spanner or two :p I also used a vice to hold the pulley while undoing that nut on the front

·
Registered
nissan
511 Posts
Even press is not needed, it's very simple to replace bearing.
You only need vice, sockets/wrenches, something softer than shaft and a hammer.
It's a 15 minute job.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay I have a sneaking suspicion that it's a pipe that's leaking as one always had a wet look..

I'm lucky that I have a wreck here with what looks like a good pump and very good condition hoses..

The only thing I'm unsure about is bleeding the system.

Would anyone know how you bleed the system in our cars?? Any help would be greatly appreciated:)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts