Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
nissan patrol GQ
8,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I used to have an accusump on my old falcon gt and am looking at doing the same on the GQ.

the accumulator serves to act as a pre-oiler which is my primary interest.

I know this is a bit of holden/fords, toyota/nissan, lab/liberal discussion for some, but I'm wondering whether its worth doing in light of current oil technology.

most of the "how to" discussions re pre-oilers seem to be more than 5-6 years old, so the subject doesn't seem to have much currency. even the engineering forums seem divided on its merits...

I am interested in building one so if anyone has come across any decent ideas for designs it would be appreciated. (I have seen one for a fire hydrant extinguisher conversion, but no pics available...)

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
well they are certainly not new thats for sure. i've only run into them on race cars with wet sumps. simply to provide oil when oil pressure drops due to oil surging away from the pick up.
probably useful for hard core 4x4's that go at extreme angles.
the pre-oil side of it is just an extra, its only an added valve so it costs bugger all extra to do.

home made version, the hard part would be getting a piston with seals to separate the oil from the compressed air side. without it you will get oil foaming.

·
Registered
nissan patrol GQ
8,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
nissan y61
4,788 Posts
I work with Hydraulics all day everyday for our Wireline and Slickline equipment for our world wide operations and not just limited to the build and testing but also in the design and use of accumulators and hydraulics for vast amount of our equipment in oil industry for pre starting equipment and energizing hydraulic fluid lines and the emergency closure of BOP’s . If you require I will be able to help you as much as I can if you plan to use one of these systems but to be honest unless you plan to be a real die hard 4x4 driver it’s not needed. But before you start you need to look into this with more details and how you plan to recharge the accumulator after you have opened the control valve as you have limited pressure and time before its internal accumulator bag filled with N2 expands back to the size of the accumulator body. Also you need a system of recharging the accumulator (not the accumulator bag) but how you plan to put the fluid back into the accumulator by pre charging the system prior to use again on the next slope etc or do plan to have control valve near the driver so you can release small amount of fluid into the engine as and when required but with no precharge. If this is the case then we need to look at where will you start the level of fluid. This is quite easy in Hydraulics as we can set a pressure control valve at the accumulator. When the system is pressurized we can pressure up this item and the fluid will take the least route of resistance so we set the accumulator pressure low. Or you can physically use a control valve near the accumulator and open and close it. This can be done by a small Haskell pump driven by say a ARB compressor (then we need to work out the air comp volume for Haskell pump RPM) or maybe using a small hand pump that you pump to recharge the system. Then you need to extract the fluid from the system back to the accumulator that you pumped in earlier. Now here is the issue you cannot just keep pumping in oil as the Patrol requires a set amount of Engine oil. So you need to work out how you will extract this amount back into the accumulator for use at the next obstacle or angle and how you will offset this balance removed from the Engine.
I can draw you a simple diagram that you can work to if so required.

Accumulator charged with N2 (pressure must be lower then engine pressure when running) for pre charging no limit on use.
Ball valve 3K parker
Pressure gauge
Return hose and charge hose
Hydraulic fittings for engine
Inline filter

gee's the more I think about this the harder it is. I you so concerned about pre-start then just use a good oil like Mobil Super 2000 X1 Diesel 10W-40

·
Registered
nissan y61
4,788 Posts
mistake. double post.

·
Registered
nissan patrol GQ
8,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
oilrig, thanks for the input.

I'm not doing hardcore at all, the last decent engine I had was a 427 in an f100 and the current 351 in my rangie.

I was looking at pre-lubing based on my experiences with my old falcon GT. the engine was basically pristine on a pulldown and I'd like to think that it was due to pre-lubing (accusump) regular oil changes (5k without fail) and the use of dual inline filters. I was looking at replicating the oil management chain into the TB42 based on my prev experiences.

the accusumps do come with solenoid control which shuts off the feed once prelubing is achieved. I was looking at running this on a separate delivery circuit to the bypass filters.

if its a woftam due to current oil technology then I'll give it a miss, its just that old habits die hard... :)

·
Registered
nissan y61
4,788 Posts
I agree its a great idea and to build one in the shed is simple and would be intresting. My main concern how to make the application 100% workable and the fluid issue (engine oil). In closed loop system this quite easy to work with but in a engine were the sump would be the tank makes things difficult.........

In fact I'm going to spend some time looking into just for the Patrol model just to see were it takes me thoughts.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts