Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
'14 Y61 ZD30 CRD M/T ST
2,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an MPX5700AP pressure sensor that I want to connect to an Auber Instruments SYL-1813A digital gauge to use as a boost gauge, which will be located in the centre of the dash where the radio normally goes.

What is the better layout configuration?
1. Sensor in the engine bay with a shorter piece of pressure tube and running the electrics through the firewall, or
2. Sensor behind the dash with the pressure tube running through the firewall.

My dash is still out, so I have easy access to the centre firewall grommet. I want to feed either the tube or electric wiring through the firewall before I put the dash back in.

Opinions welcome...

·
Registered
1989 GQ TD42 wagon
2,237 Posts
Wiring. Will be more responsive as you don't have to wait for the boost to work down a little tube, and there's no chance of it venting something nasty into the cab.

·
Registered
'14 Y61 ZD30 CRD M/T ST
2,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wiring. Will be more responsive as you don't have to wait for the boost to work down a little tube, and there's no chance of it venting something nasty into the cab.
I was leaning this way because of the reason you mentioned, but wasn't sure how big an issue it potentially is.

On the other hand, I suppose I need to make sure the sensor is protected from the elements. Not sure how long it'll last unprotected under the bonnet. Should I perhaps mount the sensor inside a plastic case?

·
Registered
Nissan MK,GQ & now GU.
1,779 Posts
I have an MPX5700AP pressure sensor that I want to connect to an Auber Instruments SYL-1813A digital gauge to use as a boost gauge, which will be located in the centre of the dash where the radio normally goes.

What is the better layout configuration?
1. Sensor in the engine bay with a shorter piece of pressure tube and running the electrics through the firewall, or
2. Sensor behind the dash with the pressure tube running through the firewall.

My dash is still out, so I have easy access to the centre firewall grommet. I want to feed either the tube or electric wiring through the firewall before I put the dash back in.

Opinions welcome...
Another vote for wiring. I have the same indicator but used the Auber transducer. It comes nicely shrouded for protection against the elements.

·
Registered
'14 Y61 ZD30 CRD M/T ST
2,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Another vote for wiring. I have the same indicator but used the Auber transducer. It comes nicely shrouded for protection against the elements.
Thx for that Haggie. I haven't ordered the gauge yet. I have one for EGT's and wanted a matching one for boost, but I already have the pressure transducer because originially I wanted to build my own gauges using an Arduino board. I gave up on that idea because I couldn't get an accurate EGT reading.

I was contemplating ordering the gauge with a sensor, so based on your experience, I might just do that anyway.

Back to the original question, I pulled the wiring through the firewall today. All done and ready to go as soon as I get the gauge. (y)

·
Registered
'14 Y61 ZD30 CRD M/T ST
2,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
@Haggie, do you remember which transducer you ordered with the gauge?

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts