Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Nissan
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering what preventative maintance everyone does in between services. After being bush for a while?

·
naturally asthmatic
4,387 Posts
Get yourself a service manual and follow it. Everything you need to do is listed in detail in them.

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,195 Posts
As Canuck says, but this also depends on what "bush" you are talking about, if there's lots of deep water concerned then there is more preventive maint required than just doing dust and bit of mud.

After a good clean underneath I generally check for any damage from sharp pointed sticks and rocks etc, if deep water involved then a bit of extra lubrication and water ingress checks may be needed.

Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
5,843 Posts
I just clean and check things, looking for damage, anything loose ( like battery clamps ), any leaks, tyre damage etc. I check where I've parked just to be sure there's no fluids leaked out.

I've not done it for a while but if I was out on dirt roads a fair bit I'd be tempted to have a look at the air filter with a view to blowing it out if it was full of dust.

While your out and about just check and keep an eye out for small problems before they become big ones. If you know you ran over a branch that twisted up and hit the underside of the car have a look. Better to spot a trickle of coolant or oil sooner rather than waiting for all the warning lights to come on while your doing 110kmh on the way home. Or change / plug a damaged tyre before the tyre fails completely.

·
Right Turn Clyde
nissan patrol
1,052 Posts
Wheel bearings would be the main one for me. Especially after a decent run, they can cop a bit of a hammering sometimes. Then just a basic check under and over everything, just to see what I've half busted.

·
Allergic to IFS
nissan
1,005 Posts
This may sound downright rediculous to some but evey now and then i poke stick into the little drain holes in the bottom of the doors and drag out the sludge and junk at the bottom. helps stop rust forming as quickly, you'd be surprised what gets in there, esp on older GQ's

·
Registered
Nissan
1,671 Posts
This may sound downright rediculous to some but evey now and then i poke stick into the little drain holes in the bottom of the doors and drag out the sludge and junk at the bottom. helps stop rust forming as quickly, you'd be surprised what gets in there, esp on older GQ's
Good point, must do mine

·
Registered
Nissan
795 Posts
cleaned mine out the other day...geez whar a sludge soup had to take interior panel off and hose it all out and respray fish oil in there..yucky job

·
Registered
Nissan
260 Posts
Clean the undercarriage of mud, grease unis, check gears oils for water contamination, and just a general check over.

·
naturally asthmatic
4,387 Posts
After a good clean underneath I generally check for any damage from sharp pointed sticks and rocks etc, if deep water involved then a bit of extra lubrication and water ingress checks may be needed.
Good points. Also, before you start off at highway speeds again, re-torque all your wheel nuts. This is especially important if you are running alloys. In fact after having one tire monkey mess up and not torque my wheel nuts properly and loosing a tire, I now always check the nut torque after anyone has touched them. Nothing like the feeling when you realize that tire passing you on the road is one of yours. :(

1 - 10 of 10 Posts