Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,
Last year I bought a 1999 GU 4.5 an it has about 190 k on it by now. Someone advised me to have the wheel bearings serviced and change the O2 (oxygen) sensor and thermostat just as preventative maintenance. My mechanic told me probably not to worry about the bearings (front) and rear isn't a greased bearing to start with (some oiled type he said). Oxygen sensor would be about $150 (genuine) as he said aftermarket ones had caused problems in the past.
So: -should I service the bearings or wait till I suspect something is wrong?
- $150 for the O2 sounds a little steep, maybe not worry? Or aftermarket alternative?
- Any tips on a thermostat? Should I consider a different temp now that my car runs on
gas?

I'm not the biggest car-tech-nut so have relied on advise from here to keep my mechanic honest so far, so any tips are appreciated!

Cheers!

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Do the wheel bearings, prefer to know now than later if something was wrong. I had brake rotors machined and bearing packed for $180.

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts
Do the wheel bearings, prefer to know now than later if something was wrong. I had brake rotors machined and bearing packed for $180.
x elevently... Or do them yourself, and learn about your truck... bearings, hubs and CV's are things that can go wrong. handy to be able to sort them on side of the track.

·
The nutty professor
8,299 Posts
^^^^^^^^ what he said tooooo............. piss easy to do once you know how , the passenger side does tend to loosen/wear faster than the drivers side too so it is good to check them periodicly

·
Registered
618 Posts
"Or do them yourself, and learn about your truck... bearings, hubs and CV's are things that can go wrong. handy to be able to sort them on side of the track."

It is not a trivial job to do the front...takes a fair while. Not sure if it can be done properly for $180.00 unless it's a charity doing it.
I don't think it is a "by the side of the track" job either, if something breaks there.

·
Right Turn Clyde
nissan patrol
1,052 Posts
x elevently... Or do them yourself, and learn about your truck... bearings, hubs and CV's are things that can go wrong. handy to be able to sort them on side of the track.
Exactly.. do one side at a time and teach yourself. Even when the disc and bearings are off, undo the other 6 bolts for the stub axle and look at the cv inside and know how to get to it. It really isnt hard and as said above really handy to have the basic knowledge to do it incase something does happen on the track.

·
Banned
682 Posts
"Or do them yourself, and learn about your truck... bearings, hubs and CV's are things that can go wrong. handy to be able to sort them on side of the track."

It is not a trivial job to do the front...takes a fair while. Not sure if it can be done properly for $180.00 unless it's a charity doing it.
I don't think it is a "by the side of the track" job either, if something breaks there.
It's only a repack and should be done anyway as part of a rotor job, given that a machine shop would have all the good gear and be able to do it in around an hour thats about right. Have done one beside the track before and it's not something I would want to do everyday

·
Registered
nissan
46 Posts
I replaced oxygen sensor with a NGK unit and paid $74.00 for it from my local aftermarket auto supplier, works just fine.

I just replaced all rotors and pads plus wheel bearings myself. Bearings were stuffed. I used my manual and info off this fine forum and took my time....saved myself real dollars.:p

Regards
Danny

·
Registered
1,873 Posts

Why is it when someone gets a good price it's either not done properly or it's charity, reason done for this price was that the rotors had to come off anyway to be machined.

So no it was not a charity case or not done properly.

·
Registered
618 Posts
To do both sides properly, inc hub seals (as you would if you have it apart), takes about 4 hours.
The seals are not cheap either.
Having said that, if the car does not see regular deep water crossings and there is no play in the bearings, then I would leave them alone. I did mine first time at 100,000 and they probably would have done another.

·
Registered
nissan
1,177 Posts
I think that a new genuine Thermostat is not such a bad idea, a faulty one can cause all sorts of problems, but id be more tempted to do it when its due for a coolant change.

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,215 Posts
My 2000 GU has wheel bearing repack as a part of the 200,000k normal service, so I'm sure yours is similar, whether or not you do any off road means absolutely nothing to preventive maintenance, don't fall into the I'll fix it when it falls off trap, it finishes up being more costly and less efficient.

Whether you pay for it or do it yourself is up to you, it's your pride and joy at least get the wheel bearings repacked.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts