Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm on the home straight with the full rebuild of the ZD30. So far so good! Dollars wise that is.
Just looking at getting some prices and advise on a new turbo for the truck.
Can the VNT turbos be re-built?
Is the ebay aftermarket one anygood? Has anyone got one on?
Has anyone recently purchased a Garret turbo for the Troll Zd30's?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
279 Posts
Garrett don't want them rebuilt, a new one ?? $1,200.00 last quote I had, but try Nizzbit's he may be of help.
Cheers
D

$1200 for a brand new turbocharger, that's not too bad isn't it??:confused:

·
Registered
8,976 Posts
When a rebuild kit is $120, a torx bit set is $10 and all you need is pliers, thin blade, mallet, fat chisel, contact cleaner, degreaser and brake cleaner .......... it is expensive.

And then paying someone to balance it.

I own a GT2052V and have dissassembled/rotated/reassembled it.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Gents... Getting a price now on new one. Just found out that mine 00 is the older version that was water cooled, however the replacement is air cooled as they are 03 any thoughts on this.
Is it better or worse with water cooled v's air cooled

·
Registered
8,976 Posts
The CRD turbos are bolt in jobs and are watercooled, when I looked at the prices a while back it was only about $100 more than a S3/4 oil cooled one.

·
Premium Member
24,731 Posts
Thanks Gents... Getting a price now on new one. Just found out that mine 00 is the older version that was water cooled, however the replacement is air cooled as they are 03 any thoughts on this.
Is it better or worse with water cooled v's air cooled

Yeah, there are 2 less bolts to do up. They are oil cooled not air cooled.

·
Registered
338 Posts
When a rebuild kit is $120, a torx bit set is $10 and all you need is pliers, thin blade, mallet, fat chisel, contact cleaner, degreaser and brake cleaner .......... it is expensive.

And then paying someone to balance it.

I own a GT2052V and have dissassembled/rotated/reassembled it.
All that hard work re-assembling it must've paid off though. But I've heard that at low RPM's with this turbo it feels much more laggier than stock turbos? Do you only feel the difference after 4,000RPM?

Would like read some reviews on this.

·
Registered
8,976 Posts
I bought it with the intention to fit it to the 2.8 but it never got off the drawing board, whilst both the turbos have the same bolt pattern the ZD is tilted and the hole is in a different spot. Normally you would just make an adaptor but the 2.8 turbo is between the engine block and the chassis rail and there is SFA room to start with.

I have 3 other 2.8 motors so who knows where it will end up, they apparently make great homemade jet turbine engine tho.

So Im going ball bearing instead, which is now closer to finish than start. Just gotta build a roof console to house the control circuitry, cermaic coat everything, sort out the oil cooler..... blah blah. still more work to do :)

·
Registered
338 Posts
I bought it with the intention to fit it to the 2.8 but it never got off the drawing board, whilst both the turbos have the same bolt pattern the ZD is tilted and the hole is in a different spot. Normally you would just make an adaptor but the 2.8 turbo is between the engine block and the chassis rail and there is SFA room to start with.

I have 3 other 2.8 motors so who knows where it will end up, they apparently make great homemade jet turbine engine tho.

So Im going ball bearing instead, which is now closer to finish than start. Just gotta build a roof console to house the control circuitry, cermaic coat everything, sort out the oil cooler..... blah blah. still more work to do :)
Sounds wicked! Only problem would be fitting a larger intercooler only because it takes half the space.

Good luck though :).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts