Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's a bit of an oddball and I don't really know what $$ to put on it. I'm probably biased towards it as well, which doesn't help, but I'm trying to be realistic...

1988 GQ Safari import LWB high roof, 5 seater
PTO winch, rear swaybar disconnect lever in cabin, stainless sidesteps
TD42, 5spd
233,000km
DTS turbo (and injectors) at 170,000km in 2009
3" exhaust
2" lift
33" muddies only 5000km old
towbar, roof racks, snorkel
2 new batteries 6 months ago

over the past 5 years all cooling system has been done replaced, whole brake system from master cylinder, all discs, and rekitted front calipers with new pistons, all suspension bushes, shocks etc. Doesn't add value, but shows it's well looked after.

I'm the only Aus owner, bought it in 2004. Injector pump was reco'd in 2005.

Pretty good condition - some bush pinstripes, stone chips on the bonnet, a couple of minor dents and a few small rust bubbles in roof gutters that have been there for years. Drivers seat replaced and steering wheel. All things you would expect on a GQ. No oil leaks on the ground, but there is weeping on the diffs and stuff underneath. Presents well and is a good honest reliable vehicle.

I was thinking somewhere around 9K, at a guess? It's low km for the age, but it has a few rust bubbles that will bring the price down, so I'm struggling... I want to set a realistic price that will sell, but not rip myself off. Not many others around to compare to these days. What do you lot reckon? 9K too much, fair?

A couple of pics to give a better idea - the spotties are gone though one fell apart as you can see in the pic and I ditched them. Rear pic shows the main dent in the rear quarter around the LH taillight from reversing into a earth bank off-roading many years ago.

Attachments

·
just a good guy.
2009 gu ute
9,506 Posts
i would say $6000 as well. it is almost 30 yrs old. i just sold a 1992 efi st petrol with 300000 ks for $2000 and had new tyres. values are going down as they get older and GU's are getting cheaper too.

·
"Toxic Personality"
nissan
8,986 Posts
gu's are cheap.... i would put 7-8k on it and be prepared to take 6-7. hard to get good money for a gq unless its really tough now.

·
LED ZEPPELIN
1995 GQ TD42 NA
12,022 Posts
hard to get good money for a gq unless its really tough now.
Or straight, unmolested, and rust-free - and even then you've got to wait for the right buyer.

Nice Safari. The fact is that even at $9k you'd be hard pressed to find a more bang-for-your-buck hardcore 4wd than yours, but people are looking to the newer stuff.

I'd start at $8k, given that the diff oil weeps are a good few hundred dollars worth if you do it yourself, and close to $1k if you pay someone.

If you don't need to sell it, it owes you nothing, and you're still offroading - I'd keep it. Don't be like those shallow people looking to the newer stuff :)

As Bigfella65 suggested, if you really want to sell it, put some elbow grease into it - a little panel work, replace the diff seals etc. People are essentially lazy and will pay a premium to not have to do anything themselves. "Nothing to spend" really works when it comes to making a sale.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I knew I was biased towards the old girl! It's the usual story I guess - you think your cars worth more than it is when selling and think they're worth less than they are when looking to buy...

Fair enough though. Thinking about it, the only people who'd be looking at old GQs these days would be young fellas looking for something to thrash in the bush I suppose, and cars are only ever worth what someone's willing to pay for them.

Looks like I'll hang onto it for a few more years - see if i can rack up 15yrs with the old bus. By then she'll be worth nothing and I wouldn't feel so guilty about pulling the engine to slot into a blown up GU, and junking the rest.

·
Registered
nissan gq swb
483 Posts
GUs are certainly getting cheaper, mainly petrol, and early 3.0 diesel. GQs as stated are up to 27 years old now. They are still a good bus, but are like any car, only worth what someone is prepared to pay.
Lots of over priced GQs on carsales etc, but most dont sell.
I recently bought a 1990 Maverick SWB petrol( no gas ) manual, ARB bar, Warn winch, long range tank, one owner very tidy 147,000ks (genuine), stock as a rock otherwise. I paid $6,500. I wanted a good one, and was prepared to pay the price.
I too would think $6-7000 bracket.
But, good to see you have decided to keep it. Enjoy it while you have it.

·
"Toxic Personality"
nissan
8,986 Posts
gu diffs, twin locked, laminated, alloy beadlocks, sticky treps, caged, ls1, auto, ccda cage, gigglepin winch, coilovers, garmin navigtion, light, half dozen optima d31's and its worth less than the accessories fitted to it as a GQ. but at least its desirable/sellable at that point.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well, it just drove away with it's new owner. All I did was mention it on facebook in response to a WTB ad today. Said $8500, not really expecting much from what you guys said, but I had a bunch of different people msg me, one bloke came from an hour and half away straight after work and handed over cash. Feels weird seeing someone else drive off in a car you've owned for 11yrs!

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
I thought it was worth what you had in mind. I sold my 90 with 456K on it with heaps of gear for $12K and I thought that was a fair price :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts