Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I have been doing a bit of day dreaming of late and I am after some debate from the brains trust.

I have a 2005 GU DX ute coil/leaf with 120km odo on it. The ute is in top nick.

I am toying with the idea of buying myself a mint 4.8 with about 150k odo. Taking the running gear from my ute and putting it into the wagon.

What do you think my ute would be worth engine less?

What would the 4.8/auto conversion be worth?

Would it be worth putting the 4.8 into the ute?

Keen to here your opinions and what you would do, parting the ute out or put the 4.8 in and get it running or even rego’d?

·
Registered
nissan
1,109 Posts
What do you do with your ute? and what engine does it have?

4.8 is cool and all but if you do long range touring or drive a lot for work its obviously not a bright idea.

·
Registered
nissan
2,091 Posts
When I had a 4.8 wagon I considered doing exactly that, ie swapping the drivelines with my ute.
I reckon it'd increase the value of both vehicles.
Alot of work though and my life was to busy to go through with it.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok to put the record straight,

I would want to keep the wagon and sell off the ute.

To buy a td42td wagon with circa 120-150k odometer will run me around $45-55k (upper end of that scale)

I got my ute for a good price and you can buy a neat 4.8 wagon for 22k. I want to put the td42 into the wagon and the 4.8 into the ute and sell the ute.

Not looking to make millions of dollar out of the process just wondering what a 2005 Gu ute with a 4.8 auto would be worth running and rwc? What would people expect to see a really neat leaf/coil ute with a neat 4.8 auto conversion advertised for?

Or is it better to just sell the rolling shell & 4.8 conversion separately?

·
Part of the furniture
nissan
4,563 Posts
if you did all that work, i think you'd be in a loosing battle. i personally don't see a 4.8 petrol GU leaf ute being worth that much.

whats the need for a wagon? could you not go a canopy on the back of the ute?

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
if you did all that work, i think you'd be in a loosing battle. i personally don't see a 4.8 petrol GU leaf ute being worth that much.

what's the need for a wagon? could you not go a canopy on the back of the ute?
I need / want more seats.

If I could get 16-20k out of the 4.8 leaf ute I would be pretty happy. It would make a really good tow rig for some one.

I reckon I could knock it over in a solid week. Or come close to having 1 done and the other well along the way.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,397 Posts
Copy cat :p Its a good idea, im sure you would still get good coin for you ute if it had a 4.8 in it. Then you end up with a mint td42 wagon for cheap as chit

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
copy cat...... nah great minds mate. Notice that 4.8 on gumtree for 15k has sold

Its either go this path or ill sell the ute as is and pick up a new dmax

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,397 Posts
Yea theres a few cheapies around i was surprised. I found a series 4 for 17k.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thats what im thinking, buy a 4.8 that has been a city car and mint in all the places 4x4 age for around 20, and sell off the left overs to see how close i can get to covering off the difference.

·
Elmo
Nissan
4,899 Posts
If you cbf doing the 4.8 conversion. I'll happily buy the ute cab off you :p

·
Elmo
Nissan
4,899 Posts
They're probably 2 grand or so. But I'm not made of money and would probably through you a less than reasonable offer lol

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
yeh i have seen the flogged out cabs pop up on ebay over the last few year go for a couple grand,

alot has changed since 2009 according to this thread:
http://www.patrol4x4.com/forum/nissan-patrol-gu-gr-10/ute-cab-price-32755/

if realistically I couldnt recoup 10k from what was left from putting the td42t into a wagon then its not worth it. That list would roughly include diffs, cab, tb48 conversion ect ect

having said that Id be surprised if I couldn't get above 15k for my ute with a tb48 in it with 150,000kms on the engine and 130,000kms on the rest of the car

·
Elmo
Nissan
4,899 Posts
Holy sheett!!!!!!

Considering you can buy TD42 NA leafy early GU utes for like $7k not sure that bloke could get in excess of $10,000 for a cab!!!! that's nuts.

Got your PM btw, that's fair enough, if you have a bartering price in mind let me know and I may be able to come to an agreement.

·
Registered
nissan
383 Posts
If you have the coin up front for the purchase of a 4.8GU-IV, would there be much to gain with the conversions, if you could just sell your 4.2 Ute and combine that sale price with the 22K you are prepared to pay and just get the 4.2 GU-IV wagon.

I understand you may save some $$, but it seems like a bit of stuffing around for not a lot of gain. You would still have the hassle of the conversion and engineering certs for rego.

Plus you devalue both vehicles resale with the conversion. The ute with the 4.8 isn't going to command as much $$$ as the 4.2 and any converted Patrol to 4.2 will never be as sort after as a 4.2TDi from the factory.

Just seems like selling the ute would be an easier way to go, your ute with low K's should have no probs selling then you can kick some tyres on some 4.2 wagons to get the price you're after.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
yeh your not the first to suggest that.

Im still thinking that I would be at least between 10-15k better off pulling the running gear from the ute and sticking it into the best 4.8 TI I can find for the money. Rather than throwing 45-55k at the best td42t wagon I can find.

It is all a little trivial, I will put my ute up for sale before I start down this path and if it sells for a good price then Ill throw my money at a new dual cab ute.

·
GHMBC #3
nissan patrol gq lwb,3"lift.
3,788 Posts
a 4.8 gu ute would be worth 15k to me.i badly want an auto 4.8 leaf rear for towing a 3.5+t trailer.i am looking around at gq utes minus the running gear and a reasonable condition one is $2000,have a tb45 that cost $350.rebuild kit,$1500,auto box, $4000,lpg gear $1000,tyres $2000 so about $11500 and a lot of work for an older ute.

·
4x4 Addiction
nissan
9,534 Posts
1 - 20 of 21 Posts