Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
naturally asthmatic
4,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just finished rebuilding my knuckles - all new bearings and seals right to the wheel bearings. Everything went together okay according to FSM. Now I can not get the damn hub back on because the spline does not come out far enough to get the snap ring clip on. Anyone know what I might be doing wrong? I am fairly sure I have everything in the right order for these hubs? I will post up a few pics which may help see what is going on.

·
naturally asthmatic
4,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here are some pics...

Spindle

Hub brake, spindle washer, snap ring

Hub laid out in order I think it goes on the spindle

·
Banned
nissan
545 Posts
Had this problem with mine. Its a bit tricky but I pulled the spline shaft out and kept a flat blade screw driver over then spacer to lever in the snap ring. Its a pain but doable.

·
naturally asthmatic
4,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am still at the office. I will give these fixes a try when I get home. Thanks for the suggestions.

·
naturally asthmatic
4,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The hubs are on. Thanks everyone for their suggestions. That is what was needed. It was obvious that too much grease was the problem. It was creating its own vacuum when I pulled the stub axle out, after i let go of it, the vacuum would draw it back in.

Now my problem is with the dam seal, wiper and support ring. I got one on before it got dark and I could see with my trouble light that the scraper was not making contact with the knuckle when I tightened the seal guard bolts down. I put them in the order they came in the kit package: seal against housing flange, then the metal support ring and then the scraper. I now see that the diagram on the FSM has the metal support ring against the housing flange, then the seal and then the scraper. Is that correct? I was thinking of trying seal, then scraper and then metal support ring in the morning. Would appreciate it if someone would let me know which is the correct way. Thanks. Next time I will take pics as I pull things apart. The old short term memory is not what it use to be. :rolleyes:

·
naturally asthmatic
4,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I did a bunch of surfing last night and saw two other sources which confirm the FSM of the supporting ring first, then the seal and then the scraper. I am going outside to give it another try that way.

If all goes well, then all I need to do is pop on the drag link, the tie rod, the caliper and pads, batteries, change fuel filter (run a filter full of injector cleaner) and then off to Aircare. If it passes, then I will be finished with that damn testing for ever.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts