Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
G'day i have a problem with my TD42, every morning i need to prime diesel on pump to get it to start. Without pumping it takes a good 5mins to start, it's like the fuel is draining back through the lines overnight. After its been started it's fine for the day, is my diesel pump stuffed? or can you bleed the system somehow?

Thanks brent

·
Registered
3,616 Posts
Brent do you have a OE fuel filter of aftermarket fuel filter, sice fitting a CAV filter I've had problems with air leakage from the drain screw at the bottom of the bowl.

Once you have the car running you have effectively bled the system. Its unlikley you have a stuffed pump as it would not run propely or at all.

Obviously air is getting in somewhere, it could be perished hoses, loose clamps, a crack in 1 of the fuel lines ( steel ). perished o ring etc.

Start with the above and see how you go.

·
Registered
nissan
11,208 Posts
My bet is your fuel filter top is buggered. They have a non return valve in them to stop fuel flowing back overnight or when sitting. And they do fail after a while. If it's running fine once going then doubt you have an air leak anywhere cause that will causing problems when running
You now have a couple of options as to weather to stuck to standard filter using another genuine top or go an after market cav type setup.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Sounds like the pump to me, if the pump is buggered it will drain fuel back to the tank over night, once started in the morning they run fine and will last all day but once night falls and it gets cold the seals shrink and fuel drains back. Sometimes a leak can be seen from the pump but not always. Pay to check filter first.

Check to see if your pump has yellow paint on the bolts if it does then there is a good chance its had the seals done.

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts
Have you changed anything in recent times? It started and slowly got worse?

You dont have a flatmate you've pist off?

·
Registered
nissan
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just recently changed fuel filter but it happened just before that, there was alot of dirt that come out of fuel bowl so i thought that may have been blocking fuel but its still doing it after fuel filter change. Im not using OE fuel filter its fleetgaurd FF167A.

And i hope no one has bloody touched my patrol truckster! haha

Cheers brent.

·
Registered
63 Posts
My old man had the same prob with his '93 GQ ute, was found to be a crack (supposedly) in the filter head, aftermarket unit fitted and had no probs after that.
He sold the ute in Cooma in '01, its still kicking round Canberra today, he should have kept it!

·
Gone Fishing
NISSAN 1989 GQ PATROL
6,203 Posts
Did you bleed it properly after filter change, at the filter bleed screw and then down on top of the injector pump, Lock nut and screw.

·
Registered
nissan
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Did you bleed it properly after filter change, at the filter bleed screw and then down on top of the injector pump, Lock nut and screw.
Where is the filter bleed screw? i also havn't bleed it near the injector pump, im new to diesel's so bare with me haha

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hey bloke,
Sounds like the diaphragm in the lift pump is leaking and allowing fuel to run back to the tank. I had a mate have the same problem in his gutlux and it was cheaper to fit a bulb pump like you see on outboard motor fuel tanks than it was to replace the 1984 toyota item. I dont know if the lift pump diaphragm is repairable or a throw away item.

·
Give it some goat
nissan
2,697 Posts
^^^^ isn't it running a ve pump so shouldn't have a lift pump? Which would also explain why it is self pumping. Would love to see where this lift pump is located if you have a pic it would be handy.

·
Gone Fishing
NISSAN 1989 GQ PATROL
6,203 Posts
Allways bleed at filter first then Injector pump Filters the white screw and on the IP on the top where the screw with locknut is. Good luck. Once its bled properly and if it comes back, Check fuel hoses and clamps(only takes a pinhole) Also feel underneath the filter where water trap tap is, mine was wet there and ended up getting rid of it and machined up a bung for the bottom of the fuel filter.

Attachments

·
Registered
nissan
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Cheers for that guys i had a fiddle around with bleeding filter and seems to be good started next morning.

·
Registered
nissan
54 Posts
Digging up an old thread here but I am having fuel drain back issues of a morning but its fine all day only doesnt want to start in the morning
Usually fine when parked on the flat but when I park on an upward slope it doesnt want to start!
Any ideas?? Especially knowing that it mainly only does it when parked on an incline slope

·
Safari Hoarder
nissan
4,793 Posts
A good method to look for air leaks is replacing the rubber fuel hose from filter to IP with clear reinforced PVC and the return as well. Run and look for air leaks. Do not leave these on for normal driving as they can't stand the heat with out getting very soft. Then when it gets cold (Canada cold) they harden up and leak. So just use for finding air leaks. Only problem with this method is if the leak was the rubber line you won't find an air leak cause you replaced the hose. Might want to start with just the return first then the filter to IP.

·
Right Turn Clyde
nissan patrol
1,061 Posts
Digging up an old thread here but I am having fuel drain back issues of a morning but its fine all day only doesnt want to start in the morning
Usually fine when parked on the flat but when I park on an upward slope it doesnt want to start!
Any ideas?? Especially knowing that it mainly only does it when parked on an incline slope
When you open the fuel cap to fill it up does it make the suction noise of air rushing past ?.

·
Safari Hoarder
nissan
4,793 Posts
Make sure it's suction and and not pressure you notice. Suction means your tank is less than ambient air pressure (open the cap and air goes in) and can cause your issue. If this is the case leave cap off for the night as long as water can't get in. If leaving cap off solves your starting problem your tank vent is stuffed. There is a relief in the cap as well.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts