Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
nissan patrol
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in Sydney and have been researching the 3litre blowing up thing is there any one in sydney who can install the dawes valve, manual boost controller etc basically what chaz has on his website. Even if beer has to be part of the payment. lol or some special mechanic who is installing then as a kit. I like to fit the egr blank also with future upgrades being intercooler and exhaust

thanks newbe to this 3litre thing

·
Registered
nissan patrol
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
forgot to mention the truck I purchased already has egt,boost and auto trans temp. This seems to be important before doing the rest.

·
Go Hard or Go Home
3,197 Posts
I live in Sydney and have been researching the 3litre blowing up thing is there any one in sydney who can install the dawes valve, manual boost controller etc basically what chaz has on his website. Even if beer has to be part of the payment. lol or some special mechanic who is installing then as a kit. I like to fit the egr blank also with future upgrades being intercooler and exhaust

thanks newbe to this 3litre thing
Where in Sydney are you located mate?

I'd be happy to show you my setup if your near by, and I would oversee you doing the mods. Best way to learn how things work with the 3ltr.

Beer sounds good too.....:D

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
49,163 Posts
Same question for me but in the Brisbane or Sunshine Coast area....

Thanks
Where about's on the Sunshine Coast are you? May be able to assist you, as Paul says you can do it, I'm willing to assist, I have all the necessary tools if that is a problem. Firstly do you have the gauges fitted? give a little vehicle info.

·
Registered
Nissan GUII 3L Patrol
388 Posts
There are step by step instructions for each of the mods on the forum.........it is very very easy.

Blocking EGR is easy just undo 4 bolts ( 2 exhaust side )( 2 inlet side ) remove the small gaskets and put in two blanking plates ( 1 exhaust side & 1 inlet side ) to block it off. YOu can even buy the plates agh cough cough "shims" off a forum member if you dont want to make them up. ( to make them use the old gaskets as templates ) and make two blocking plates ..i used stainless steel about 1mm from memory.

Dawes and needle valves are also easy to install just buy yourself some fuel/air hose, get a dawes valve from 3bar racing and a needle valve from Pirtek/ Enzed etc..... follow the diagram and away you go....

I must admit when first reading the instructions it can seem a bit confusing and daunting to start fiddling, I found that by printing off the steps and going out to the vehicle and finding as well as looking at and touching the EGR inlets and exhaust outlet.... as well as tracing air lines in the dawes diagrams gave me the confidence to take the next step and pick up a spanner. Once you start it seems to all make sense and come together.

Chaz/Whittie and a few others have really done an excellent job with the step by step guides.

I did all mine myself ( no expertise whatsoever ) just a little bit of head scratching and understanding.

You will learn a lot about how your engine works and what should sound like what etc.... and it will give you a starting point to understanding your engine.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Paul Helm thanks for the offer I am not far from you at all I am only at Kings Langley near seven hills Maybe if your home saturday I should come for a drive and check your rig out. I will pm you my number or pm me yours as it would only be fair for me to ring you, to arrange a meeting to check your rig out work out what I need to purchase then once I have all the stuff more then happy to give you a case of your fav for your supervision. I have all the gauges installed by preivous owner

Thanks for the offer and I am keen to learn and install all myself in the same way I let the mechanic guide me while I got my new truck on the hoist today and change all the fuel,oil and air +oil and went through and looked over everything and greased all nipples so I know where I stand with the truck.

·
Go Hard or Go Home
3,197 Posts
Paul Helm thanks for the offer I am not far from you at all I am only at Kings Langley near seven hills Maybe if your home saturday I should come for a drive and check your rig out. I will pm you my number or pm me yours as it would only be fair for me to ring you, to arrange a meeting to check your rig out work out what I need to purchase then once I have all the stuff more then happy to give you a case of your fav for your supervision. I have all the gauges installed by preivous owner

Thanks for the offer and I am keen to learn and install all myself in the same way I let the mechanic guide me while I got my new truck on the hoist today and change all the fuel,oil and air +oil and went through and looked over everything and greased all nipples so I know where I stand with the truck.

Not a problem mate,

Saturday sounds good to me, I will respond to your PM with my details.

·
Registered
nissan
35 Posts
Thanks geeyoutoo,

Live in Doonan but work in Brisbane and use the car to get to the train station each day so time is restricted to weekends.

Vehicle details - 2003 model, only got a suspension lift and 33's on it - engine is stock standard. Will soon need to put a new exhaust on as the current (original) one is beginning to get thin and won't last much longer and with all the talk of bigger exhausts mean turbos boosting higher than what is good for them I thought I would get the 'controls' on first.

I haven't got gauges fitted - like I said she is very stock but it has been a great vehicle and I want to look after her.

Thanks for the offer so far.

·
Currently in PAD rehab
18,404 Posts
Thanks geeyoutoo,

Will soon need to put a new exhaust on as the current (original) one is beginning to get thin and won't last much longer and with all the talk of bigger exhausts mean turbos boosting higher than what is good for them I thought I would get the 'controls' on first..
Dunnno if they "boost higher than is what is good for them" after doing the mods.. but the exhaust getting thin is a good excuse for a new 2 3/4 exhaust and high flow cat for the minister for war and finances to approve my exhaust budget, I reakon that one might just work! Cheers!

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
49,163 Posts
Thanks geeyoutoo,

Live in Doonan but work in Brisbane and use the car to get to the train station each day so time is restricted to weekends.

Vehicle details - 2003 model, only got a suspension lift and 33's on it - engine is stock standard. Will soon need to put a new exhaust on as the current (original) one is beginning to get thin and won't last much longer and with all the talk of bigger exhausts mean turbos boosting higher than what is good for them I thought I would get the 'controls' on first.

I haven't got gauges fitted - like I said she is very stock but it has been a great vehicle and I want to look after her.

Thanks for the offer so far.
Having spoken to a couple of exhaust manufacturers etc, it seems if you go 2 3/4" system there is no danger of boost issue whereas a 3' "may" result in a problem, depending on what you have done. After a lot of reading and phone calls I'm going for a Beaudesert 2 3/4".

Send me a PM and we will work out some mutually satisfactory way of getting together to have a look at your vehicle and you can see how my Dawes and gauges are setup.

I would recommend attacking the gauges first then drive around for a week or so before moving on to mods, that way you get to see the effects and get a better understanding of what goes on inside the engine, you will be surprised. Most weekends are fine for me, glad to help.

·
Registered
Nissan GUII 3L Patrol
388 Posts
^^^^ particularly good advice re: driving for a week or so with guages

This will give you a good idea of the engine conditions before the mods and what readings you can expect ..... then when you do each mod you can directly compare and be quietly chuffed that your new thingomibob is working.

Otherwise you can spend big $$$ and still be wondering if it was worth it.

·
Registered
nissan
35 Posts
Hi geeyoutwo,

I sent you a PM today - can you let me know if it gets through as I didn't save a copy and haven't sent a PM before.

Regards

1 - 13 of 13 Posts