Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I notice fairly regularly mention of bad diesel causing break downs. Often along the lines of '300km down the road from such and such fuel stop i broke down'. It seems to be one of the biggest risks to your vehicle when in remote areas.

What tips and techniques do any of you experienced remote area travelers use to avoid this issue.

Is it rare so don't worry?
I'd assume running 2T would help with additional fuel system lube.
Are water dispersant's like Diesel Power or Fuel doctor the answer?
Will additional filtration make your fuel system bullet proof?
Is it a bigger issue as you move along the technology development from Indirect to Direct to Common Rail injection?

interested in your ideas,

Peter

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
I use the F15 Models
went to Enzed for a bit of extra hose and they made up an end bit for the delivery of fuel into the tank . I also use Chemtech every time I fuel up and have done so in my last three gu zd30 patrols. Can pm you pics of the finished funnel if you want.

·
Registered
nissan
2,215 Posts
Any chance you can post the pics mainey? Had a look on the website and they said the F15 can be used at the fuel pump.

·
Registered
nissan
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I use the F15 Models
went to Enzed for a bit of extra hose and they made up an end bit for the delivery of fuel into the tank . I also use Chemtech every time I fuel up and have done so in my last three gu zd30 patrols. Can pm you pics of the finished funnel if you want.
Thanks Mainey,

Pics would be great. Have you had many occasions when you caught much water or crap.

After looking at the mrfunnel i found racor do what looks like the same funnels but with stainless steel filters http://www.maesco.com/products/racor/r_funnel/r_funnel.html

Racor states theirs filters down to (0.005 of an inch) which works out to be 127 microns, but will not remove emulsified water.

Peter

·
Part of the furniture around here
nissan
19,131 Posts
Get a Mr Funnel available from BCF stores (it traps water and other crap from dirty pumps etc):

Cheers

Ray

·
Registered
nissan
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Water emulsified in fuel

Thanks guys, I'll pick up a filter funnel next visit to BCF.

How much of a concern is water emulsified in fuel that can pass through filters. When i did a search on water emulsion in diesel it was hard to find info on its detrimental effects.

Interestingly, the most common hits are for proprietary fuel mixes intentionally designed to combine about 80 percent diesel with 20 percent water. The water is mixed into the diesel to reduce 'both particulate matter (PM) and nitrous oxide (NOx), by lowering the combustion temperature and altering the combustion pattern to more completely burn the carbon in the fuel'. Additives are used to ensure the mix is stable and has sufficient lubricity.

Other comments include water emulsified into diesel is prevented from touching metal components by the surfactants that surround it and cause it to stay emulsified. This is less so where the surfactants have arisen in the contamination than when compared to an additive specifically for this purpose.

Additives like Fuel doctor are designed to do this: 'Initially Fuel Doctor will scavenge free water (condensation) from tank internals into a sub-micronic emulsion, allowing the moisture to pass through the combustion process with no detrimental effects to fuel pumps, injectors or oxygen sensors (Bosch.com.au)'.

Racor states that their Fuel Filter Funnel 'will not remove emulsified water'. They tell us to, 'Install Racor fuel filter/water separators to remove emulsified water from your engine’s fuel system,' but don't go into any detail on why emulsified water is a problem.

Peter.

·
Go Hard or Go Home
3,197 Posts
Post 53 from here,

http://www.patrol4x4.com/forum/niss...blems-4x4-action-59921/index2.html#post526940

This how I have set up my Filter funnel when travelling in remote areas where unknown fuel quality may be.

Here are the pictures from that thread.

Filter%20funnel.JPG

I also have a funnel for pouring the 2T oil & Chemtek or similar fuel additive.
Filter%20Funnel%20In%20bucket.JPG

Filter funnel with extension hose as I cut down the neck of the filter funnel to allow it to fit into the bucket.
Filter%20Funnel%20with%20hose.jpg

·
Registered
nissan
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Post 53 from here,

http://www.patrol4x4.com/forum/niss...blems-4x4-action-59921/index2.html#post526940

This how I have set up my Filter funnel when travelling in remote areas where unknown fuel quality may be.

Thanks Paul and thanks to Sizzlechest on the thread you directed me too i've just ordered the F15c for $70 delivered from Amazon. Now i need my bucket.

I missed that thread (crd problems in 4x4 action) as i tend to search issues based on thread title.

Peter.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,823 Posts
Ray you put this funnel up before in another thread, i was gona ask you do you use the funnel every time you feel up? How much crap gets collected?

·
Registered
223 Posts
Hi,

Where possible always by fuel from a reputable brand ie BP Shell etc. even if it is not the cheapest. Avoid places that decanter there own fuel. You cannot always be sure what else has been decanted with it.

Customs make checks on many outback places to make sure a "litttle kero" has not been added thus avoiding excise.

Find out where the locals buy their fuel. I was in one NT town last year and asked a local about fuel in her town, she told me they travelled to Katherine many kms away to buy her fuel. I drove on.

·
Registered
nissan
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Racor also make a range of water block filters.
They are supposed Stop 99% of water passing through and filter to 2 UM.
If I was going outback, I'd be Fitting one of these for sure.

Hi Glort,

You mean like this

Racor 6120 Filter Element Replacements (10 Micron or 2 Micron)

Replacement filter elements for the 6120 Filter. These elements feature aqua block filter media, and come with replacement gaskets. The 6120 has two different filter replacement options: 10 microns or 2 microns.

So you would replace the standard filter with an equivalent aqua block filter rather than a second filter? It would save having to add a pusher pump.

What do you think happens when the water builds up against the filter?would it block it to the point that you stall?

Peter

·
Registered
228 Posts
If buying a mr funnel on line make sure you DO NOT buy off Aero Shop in Vic. I payed for one by PayPal 12 months ago and after many calls and promises I still dont have it or my money

·
Registered
nissan
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Bush Diesel Recipy

Thanks, everyone above for the help and info.

Along with using my Mr Funnel i am now planning to add the following to each tank fill when in areas where fuel may be suspect.

Every fill:
  1. 2T Mineral 2-stroke oil at 1:200 (combats reduced lubricity if water, kero or petrol are present)
  2. A diesel additive such as Diesel Power or Diesel Doctor at recommended mix proportion. (Changes remaining entrained water to a micro emulsion to enable it to pass the IP safely)
These would be added to the tank prior to filling to aid mixing.

Is anyone aware of issues with using addtives constantly over a long period or with 2T?

and

I've never used Diesel Doctor but do use Diesel Power occasionally. Anyone know if Diesel Doctor is better. Its advertising would make you think its ideal in this situation.

I hope others have gotten as much out of this thread as i have and that we now increase the odds to our benefit in what amounts to diesel Russian Rollette. Many have played and lost.

Thanks

Peter

1 - 13 of 13 Posts