Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
1,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious as to how many Kms before people are changing their filter or can it be cleaned?

Cheers

·
Registered
9,510 Posts
Just curious as to how many Kms before people are changing their filter or can it be cleaned?

Cheers
I have only been draining the oil every oil change 5000km. And last change, I cleaned the filter only by using paper towel to wrap around it then gently squeeze to soak out the oil. It has done about 50,000km since fitting the provent. I bought a spare when I got it but still have it sitting in the back as a spare.

·
Registered
nissan
338 Posts

Cheers
I have been wondering about this too. Mine has been in for about 90k. I have washed the element out with petrol twice. Its still collecting oil, but I am also about to replace my front crank seal as its leaking heaps. Wondering if I might have a bit too much resistance in the crank vent causing the leak? Maybe petrol has mucked up the filter? I do get a little oil in the outlet of the prevent, but have for years. Looks like a new pro vent filter is about $80?
Cheers.

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol GU
1,210 Posts
I replaced mine after 40,000kms. It's only 80 bucks. I remember sometime ago it was recommend to replace it every 50k or so.

Cheers

·
Registered
nissan patrol
356 Posts
I fitted a replacment after about 15000km and prior I was getting about 40ml per 1000km. Now that the new one is in I'm getting very little to nothing. A bit strange. Not sure what to think. When I first put the provent in it took a while to start getting any oil in the drain pipe also.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,510 Posts
I fitted a replacment after about 15000km and prior I was getting about 40ml per 1000km. Now that the new one is in I'm getting very little to nothing. A bit strange. Not sure what to think. When I first put the provent in it took a while to start getting any oil in the drain pipe also.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
Because the new filter has a sort of sponge medium with fibre paper wrapped around it, it will hold quite a bit of oil before it becomes saturated and drains into the base of the provent. So yes that is right, you will not see any oil collect for a while, till the filter saturates and starts draining into the base.

Petrol might be a bit of a savage solvent but I think as long as you clean anything that will block it, with turps or something might be more gentle, then you should be able to keep using it for a long, long time.

·
Registered
nissan
279 Posts
I thought once the filter "clogged" and was due for replacement, the pressure release built into the lid started venting, therefore the body of the Provent would start getting oil residue on it.
I remember reading that somewhere when I first purchased mine.

·
Registered
9,510 Posts
Yes you are right,
but what is clogging the filter other than engine oil which you can was out and probably a bit of soot. Not certain if the soot washes out with the oil but surely you can see once it is washed if it is still black or clean. I think as the foam layer of the filter gets older it may start to deteiorate with use of any really agressive solvent. I have not cut one of these open to see what is under the outer fibre paper layer, but I think it is a foam.

IF your engine is in reasonable condition (EGR blocked) and you use a decent quality oil that you change regularly, then the soot should be minimal.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts