Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Nissan
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All,

I was just wondering about my PTO. First off i have a 1989 Safari Gran Road SWB. Now to the problems: It is really hard to switch it between forward neutral and reverse using the lever inside on the drivers side. On top of that when you do have it in lets say neutral it is not always in neutral and will still be either in forward or reverse. It takes a bit of fiddling to find the sweet spot.

The other day i was installing a UHF radio and had to put the gear lever in reverse in order to pull the dash apart (to make more room). Anyways after i was done and put everything back together i put the lever back into neutral and noticed that when driving it had started becoming a bit difficult to shift between gears when driving. Particularly first or second gear. Anyways, i pulled up and had a look at the front of the truck and behold i had a bit of an oil leak coming off the top of the PTO by the breather. I struggled with the PTO lever inside the truck and even though it (like above) said it was in neutral the PTO shaft would still turn and wind up when i took my foot off the clutch. Anyways i found the sweet spot again after a frustratingly long time and shifting between driving gears has returned to normal. I am not sure what is happening inside the gear box and am really wary of using my winch especially if it now has no oil and if i can't get it to disengage. Depending on the problem i was thinking (very very reluctantly mind you) of just removing my PTO and be done with it. I just don't want it to potentially wreck something else more important ie. my gear box etc which i like and need more than the winch itself. Why would the PTO leak all of a sudden in connection with this shifting problem?

Any hints or suggestions as to what the problem is? If it makes a difference the lever has always been a bit hard to engage but it has never been this bad and i have used my winch on only 2 occaisions in the past with out incident.

Thanks guys

Saltuarius

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
you need to remove the cable out of the truck an free it up with lots of wd-40 then feed light oil down between outer shell and solid inner also fitted cable boots to stop it fill up with grit and dirt

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
just pins and R clips hold cable to levers 17mm nuts on adjustments one brkt its easier to remove it wth the cable attached
little more info forgot to write first time

1 - 4 of 4 Posts