Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently I fitted a PTO unit on the gearbox of my 4.2td manual, the standard Nissan one, and winch. It bolted up easily, and without any strain or difficulty. The control cable moves the lever easily, and the forward and reverse selection is easy.
Prior to fitting it, the gearbox had all the usual or normal noises, and gear changes were easy and good.
However, since fitting it, in NUETRAL, I now have a "rumble" similar to a front gearbox bearing, that goes away when the clutch is depressed. This is most noticeable in the morning when the car is cold.

NOTE, this is NOT a shaft/universal or winch noise, and I am not attempting to engage the PTO.

The noise appears to go away after the gearbox warms up.
It was not there prior to fitting the pto, so assume it is the pto making the noise, or the meshing of the gears.
Also, the gearbox now is harder to get into 1st, but especially 2nd when the car is cold, eg first thing in the morning.
I am using new Nulon 80/90 gearbox oil and nulon additive, both were used in the gearbox before.
BOTH the noise and the gear shifting are ok when the car is warm, eg after about 25km of driving.

Are these noises/shifting typical or normal of this system and something not to worry about?
(For those that dont know, the pto runs off the input side of the gearbox.)
I would like to get information before having to dismantle the exhaust again to get the PTO off again.

Over to those who have Nissan PTO knowledge?

·
Previously known as twodiffs
1991 GQ Safari.
3,684 Posts
Pm sent Lana.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Sorry, can't help with the PTO ???'s

Is this the Nulon 80W/90 oil that you're using ? >> 80W-90 Gearbox and Differential Oil - Nulon Products Australia

That is an API GL-5 oil..

Nissan specify (75W/90) API GL-4 ...

It is generally agreed that GL-5 oils SHOULD NOT BE USED in synchromesh transmissions where a GL-4 (or lower) oil is specified, because of the very real risk that the higher concentration of sulphur-phosphorous additives (in the GL-5) will attack the yellow metals (brass / bronze) used in the synchros...

I use the specified oil (75W/90 API GL-4) in my GU, and "cold-shift baulk" is virtually non-existant...

;) :)

·
Registered
nissan
570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Fakey, as far as I know there was backlash, the guy (diesel mechanic) who checked my work, did so when I test fitted it, then suggested a second 0.3mm gasket, and double checked it before final tensioning of the 6 bolts. He also checked the movement of the drive shaft by hand after fitting it to the PTO, then after fitting the sheer pin to the winch. All moved effortlessly, and freely.

EdC thanks for that input, I am aware of the copper strip test (the winch has bronze gears, and oil has to comply), but wasnt aware that the Nulon oil did not comply. I will have to check that.

·
Registered
nissan
89 Posts
Pto winch

Hi was just seeing how you went with it all and seen this it did the same thing in my shorty it did stop just over idle but i asked lots of guys and they said that they all do it so i thort it was normal hope all is going good thow and i do have the oil specs at home so i will send them to you when i get home from work

·
Previously known as twodiffs
1991 GQ Safari.
3,684 Posts
x2...had been wondering myself.

·
Registered
nissan
570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hi mkshorty, and 2 diffs, well, I got some mobil 680 oil for the winch from a friend who has huge Cat bulldozers.
the gearbox/gearchange was a whole lot better once I changed the oil to 75/80 and gl-4.
however, the rumbleing noise at idle is still there, havent had chance to have the exhaust removed again so havent taken the pto off to check the bearings. when we modified the exhaust to put the pto unit on, the exhaust place welded the joints I had asked for a flange, but didnt know they hadnt done that until we got under again to change the oil........... mmmmmmmmm
anyway, nothing seems to be affected at the moment other than the noise which interestingly cant be heard when driving along the road, and is most noticeable at idle in nuetral.

·
Registered
475 Posts
shantilly,

I suspect the noise you are hearing w/- engine idling in neutral, clutch engaged, is what is known as "gear rollover noise", possibly made more noticeable by the PTO .. (more gears to "roll over")...

Some say it's normal, some say it's not.. One thing is certain though, it is very common in a wide variety of manual transmissions, w/- Fords being particularly well represented..;)

It seems the more "truck-like" the transmission, the greater the likelihood of this noise being present...

Have a read of this >> http://www.tccoa.com/articles/mn12how-to/m5r2_rebuild/M5R2Diag-noise.pdf
(it may put your mind at ease) ;)

:cheers:

·
Registered
nissan
89 Posts
Pto winch

Hi lana if i can save you the time i hade checked them just befour i pulled it off for you because i just wanted to know what the noise was but there was no noise or movement in the bearings when i pulled it off and i got told by quite a few guys that were mechanics that it was that (gear rollover noise ) being amplified throw the PTO unit but i cant be sure but i hope it helps you and how is it going have you give it a good work out yet

1 - 10 of 10 Posts