Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1991 Safari LWB, i've had the wheels rotated and balanced, had a wheel alignment at the same time, but i continue to get a constant pull to the left at any speed over about 10kph...

No uneven wear on tyres, no inner wear either...tyres are 31's, Maxxis AT on 15x8.5 rims, run them at 40psi on road (have tried them at 32 as well, makes no diff).

Also, get a bit of shake in the wheel around 80-100kph on some roads, but not all...

·
bit cold out it seems
nissan
9,258 Posts
if it only does it on cambered roads do not worry about as tyre wear is perfect.

if it does it on flat roads check the front hubs and make sure they are unlocked as that will cause drag to the left.

try 3psi less in the drivers side tyres.

otherwise, use search as is one of the more common questions asked.

for what it is worth, even my Jeep pulls to the left on cambered roads. I lengthened the passenger side lower control arm no more than 3mm more than the drivers side and low and behold, does not pull as violently to the left as before. The vehicle has weight and wheelbase issues when in Right Hand Drive configuration, the RHS apparently has a slightly longer wheelbase than the LHS to combat the constant drag from front axle (no unlocking hubs) but it also has fuel tank and driver on this side meaning it sits lower causing slight wheelbase extension. i think these issues combined make it tug to the left quite noticeably.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Nearly all Patrols pull to the left. All 5 ones iv driven did it. ;) Also the 80-90 kmph Shakes are very common on patrols. My old wagon did it bad at that speed, i changed the tie rod to a superior HD item and it got rid of it almost completely. So it was the ball joints (tie rod ends)

·
Registered
nissan
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bugga...

Yeah, it does it on flat roads (i.e. motorways) as well as cambered roads.

Hubs not locked in, but it doesn't seem to do it any more or less when they are.

I used to drive Subaru's (last 5 cars over 11 years) and had adjustable suspension in most; they were always set up for perfect handling so im not used to problems like this...i've gotten used to having no power or acceleration but i was hoping to be able to fix this...:confused:

·
Registered
Nissan
1,865 Posts
wobbles= worn pan hard bushes or play in another steering component, this could contribute to the pull to the left?

·
Registered
nissan
8 Posts
pulling left is a standard thing for patrols and landcruisers with a solid front end. the only fix that i have come across is to either bend the diff housing slightly or fit a camber kit to the LHF. the problem is these cars normally run equal positive cambers on both sides(around +0.5 - +1 degree camber)if you can get the camber on the LHF back to around 0 - -0.5 degrees you will fix your pulling left.

·
Registered
Nissan
1,865 Posts
pulling left is a standard thing for patrols and landcruisers with a solid front end. the only fix that i have come across is to either bend the diff housing slightly or fit a camber kit to the LHF. the problem is these cars normally run equal positive cambers on both sides(around +0.5 - +1 degree camber)if you can get the camber on the LHF back to around 0 - -0.5 degrees you will fix your pulling left.
bend the diff housing?
please explain

·
Registered
nissan
8 Posts
bend the diff housing?
please explain
it is quite easy when you have the right jig to do it. put an ever so slight bend in the axle tube will give you negative camber ;)

what would you like me to explain?

back to the OP, you could try switching your tyres side to side on the front and see if that make any difference incase the tyres have radial pull. i highly doubt it will fix your problem but worth the try to rule it out. just because you have had your wheels balanced doesnt mean they have been balanced correctly or even had a good job done. i have too many customers come in to work straight from the big chain tyre shops because they havent done the job properly. i suggest you take your car to another reputable tyre shop and have them balance your wheels (stay clear of the big chain shops, you pay peanuts, you'll get monkeys). i am not sure about the GQ but i know GU's do not like 4x4 carcus type tyres(ie bfg a/t), they prefer a passenger style of carcus tyres (ie bridgestone d840). another known vibration issue is the rear tail shaft, but that wouldnt give you a shimmer/shake through the steering wheel, the way to fix that is to flip the rear tail shaft 180 degrees so it runs reverse to what it normally would.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts