Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
4.8 GU Petrol with 40,000km on the clock.

Turned the key to start...just cranks over.
Pulled the Petrol Pump fuse and let it sit for a minute.
Popped fuse back in and she fired right up.

Same thing happened twice today.

Would it be the pump playing up or the relay? I pray it's just the relay...to access the pump means taking those bloody drawers out again :-(

Something else I noticed...to remove the Long Range Tank you have to drop the Kaymar bumper! Not exactly friendly bolt on parts are they!

·
Registered
nissan
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Because Australia Post lost my workshop manual I still have no way knowing which of the relays is for the fuel pump:headwall:. Any advice please?

The car starts three times out of 20...I can hear the pump priming every time I turn the ignition on.
Where is the fuel filter? It's possible something from the new Long Ranger tank has blocked it?

The car is in for service tomorrow but they will surely want to inspect the fuel pump which is now blocked easy access by the storage drawers etc.

Do these vehicles have an ignition amp or something else that can cause engine start issues?

I could diagnose my Land Rover in minutes but this is the first fault I've come across with my Nissan :-(

·
Registered
nissan
557 Posts
They have NATS that can cause issues with starting if the key is not recognised. I think that there's some sort of coil around the Steering wheel/Ignition key area that picks up the transponder in the key.
If you've got a spare key try that.

·
Registered
nissan
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ah ha..funny you should mention that. I recently converted one of my keys to a flip-out type that required the swapping over of all components inside the old key.
It's been fine for a week and then this problem starts.

Whats NATS anyway just for my knowledge? It is to do with the built in chip inside the key?

·
Every dog has his day
2005 TD42 GUIV
18,470 Posts
If you take the driver's side drawer out (Black a Widow if I recall? Just pull the spring pins in at the back) and you're willing to cut the carpet (or better still took it out first) you should be able to reach the access panel.

IF... The fuel pump is in the same spot on your tank as it was on the original, mine isn't so that panel is useless to me, but mine is a different brand long range tank so yours might be ok.

But having said all that if you hear it prime when you turn key I couldn't see the pump being the issue???

·
Registered
nissan
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Agreed on all points mate...but to access the floor panel.....
1) first have to remove the cargo center barrier.
2) then you have to remove the drawers which is not so easy as it sounds because of the stop brackets.
3) then remove the drop slide....
4) then you can remove the top boards
5) Finally I will have access to the rear floor through the frame work and guestimate the location of the access panel to cut through the carpet.

It's a few hours work and needs two people.....however, I'm hinging all my bets on the fault being the Chinese Flip Out key thing immobilizing the car...hence the pump might be fine :)

Edited to add.
Looking at this picture taken during the tank installation... the access cover is just to the right of the center line.

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts