Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I am wanting to buy a auto diesel patrol wagon, currently have a Navara 03 dual cab 3lt manual, due to recent ops and leg problems need the auto and with growing kids a wagon would seem to be more room for them in back seats.

My questions are,

Price wise a 03-04 patrol seems to achievable but a lot have some higher k's on them, from 250-300 tho, is this a problem and will these engines continue to have a longer life span? ie have read the detentionation problems, and it concerns me with these type of kilometres already travelled.

I would prefer the 04 patrol and what price range should these be selling for, as some seem over priced?

Power wise in the 3lt are they ok? and with a full load camping or towing a smaller boat can you still easily do the highway speed limit, also how do they compare in performance to the Navara 3lt 03 engines?

Also any info on these patrols would be appreciated as well, we would like to have a reliable vehicle and understand all buying second hand vehicles have some risk but any secrets on what to look for in these models?

Oh anyone want to swap the Navara for there patrol....hahahaha

Cheers

·
Registered
nissan gu
31 Posts
Hey mate,
My experience with an '04.
I bought an '04 GUIII ST wagon 3.0L roughly 7 years ago for $26,000 with 130,000km on it and it went well with no problems but was log book serviced and oil was changed out every 5000km, I never towed but fully loaded I could feel the drop in performance. Sold it for $22,000 3 years later(financial reasons).

The 3.0L will handle most things with some upgrades (exhaust, chip etc) but reliability is hit and miss with those engines, one will last 400,000km and others with **** themselves after 150,000km. 4.2TD or 4.8 petrol is what you want if you plan on loading up the wagon and towing although fuel economy is not as good they are a more reliable engine. High km are not a huge thing these days, service history is though. Make sure the wagon you buy has up to date service history with receipts/documentation, check for the usual crap, under body damage from heavy offroading, oil leaks, smoke and general feel of the engine running. There isn't really any huge faults with the 03-04 models, pretty much comes down to how the previous owner looked after it.

I have seen them sell for as low $12,000 but very high km's and not the best shape, $15,000 - $17,000 is about the average and you can still find plenty with under 200,000km. They tend to hold their value very well.

I saw one private ad the other days asking $35,000, it had at the bottom of the add "It owes me $39000". I had a good laugh.

If it has a P plate, don't touch it.

·
Registered
nissan
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, have been reading a fair bit on this forum about the ZD30 engine, while owning one with the Navara it looks to be quite different with different issues for both. I still cant find what the difference is between the 03 and 04 patrol? But will be looking for the 04 as preference when buying hopefully sooner than later, will be taking your advice when looking at the vehicle and hope I get a good one, will miss the Nav as its super reliable but a growing family, comfort and the auto of the patrol the choice is made :D

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thanks, have been reading a fair bit on this forum about the ZD30 engine, while owning one with the Navara it looks to be quite different with different issues for both. I still cant find what the difference is between the 03 and 04 patrol? But will be looking for the 04 as preference when buying hopefully sooner than later, will be taking your advice when looking at the vehicle and hope I get a good one, will miss the Nav as its super reliable but a growing family, comfort and the auto of the patrol the choice is made :D
[/QU
Hey mate,
My experience with an '04.
I bought an '04 GUIII ST wagon 3.0L roughly 7 years ago for $26,000 with 130,000km on it and it went well with no problems but was log book serviced and oil was changed out every 5000km, I never towed but fully loaded I could feel the drop in performance. Sold it for $22,000 3 years later(financial reasons).

The 3.0L will handle most things with some upgrades (exhaust, chip etc) but reliability is hit and miss with those engines, one will last 400,000km and others with **** themselves after 150,000km. 4.2TD or 4.8 petrol is what you want if you plan on loading up the wagon and towing although fuel economy is not as good they are a more reliable engine. High km are not a huge thing these days, service history is though. Make sure the wagon you buy has up to date service history with receipts/documentation, check for the usual crap, under body damage from heavy offroading, oil leaks, smoke and general feel of the engine running. There isn't really any huge faults with the 03-04 models, pretty much comes down to how the previous owner looked after it.

I have seen them sell for as low $12,000 but very high km's and not the best shape, $15,000 - $17,000 is about the average and you can still find plenty with under 200,000km. They tend to hold their value very well.

I saw one private ad the other days asking $35,000, it had at the bottom of the add "It owes me $39000". I had a good laugh.

If it has a P plate, don't touch it.
mate whatever you buy get it checked over by a reputable 4WD mechanic, worth the cost if spending big bucks.
if some problem found you can either use it to reduce the vehicle cost, or get it fixed prior to buying. love my 03 Patrol wagon. ZD30 ddti auto. always carry at least on big trip, spare alternator and starter motor. just replaced starter @ 250,000ks.

·
I Have Imaginary Friends
Patrol Hybrid.
16,015 Posts
Those two were last seen in 2014 and 2015, doubt if you’ll get a reply from them. Good dig though. 👍

1 - 6 of 6 Posts