Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi i got a 4.2 petrol maverick auto was thinking about efi what i askin is should i put a whole efi motor in or just swap carby setup for a efi setup do i have to change the head or what do i have to do and is it worth doing

·
Registered
Nissan GQ
154 Posts
This would really depend on what state your motor is in. If its in good nick then go with the bolt on option. If its in need of some love then get a whole new motor, give it a freshen up while you have the car still running then throw it in. All of your ancillaries will bolt on. Either way you wont know yourself with the EFI.

My 2c

·
Registered
nissan
399 Posts
The head is the same - the entire engine is the same.
The only difference is on is EFi and one has a carby.

And yes, its a good move.
I own both an EFi and a carby Patrol and the EFi is the better drive out of the 2.

·
Registered
545 Posts
I agree that the EFI should be a better drive but it always surprises me what little extra kw you get, 4 I think.
What are the fuel consumption figures, is the EFI much more fuel efficient??

·
Registered
nissan
334 Posts
I take it, it would be the same for the rb30 motor?

·
Registered
nissan patrol gu
149 Posts
Steelo, the rb30 is very similar but the cams are different, it will still run ok but you will not get the most out of the conversion, i was lucky enough to pick up a complete engine with less then 100,000km on it so the whole thing went in. I researched it pretty heavily before doing and was told by everyone i spoke to that the difference in cams is minimal but is better to have the right one, my engine had 325,000km on it anyway, also in the rb30 the dizzy is different and you need to be able to fit the oxy sensor in the exhuast, easy conversion though.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
so what parts do i need to find for a 4.2
injection intake manifold
wiring harness
computer

what else do i need
dizzy ??
fuel pump ??

·
Banned
nissan
117 Posts
Yea you will need:

Intake manifold with injectors & rail,
EFI fuel pump & filter + new fuel lines to suit higher pressure.
Wiring loom and ECU + new relays wired up for the fuel injection.
All the necessary sensors & an EFI distributor...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.