Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

Registered
nissan patrol mk
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey Guys,

I've wanted to go and explore the QLD Outback, and thus I'm planning a trip inland somewhere :D

Here are my criterias:
  • Places which you can get to and explore within 1 week (Saturday to Sunday, 8 days)
  • We don't want to drive everyday
  • We don't want to go 4WDing everyday, a day or two while were there would be great,
    see a few things, but not need to go to the chiropractor when we get back ;-)
  • We want the ability to do bush walks as well as some 4WDing

I'm bringing the missus, who doesn't mind going from A to B in 4WD Low, but doesn't want to do that all the time...
I can understand that, but at the same time I don't want to miss out completely.

For extreme 4WDing, where breakages are VERY likely, I prefer going somewhere local, so I can afford to tow my car home...
Obviously I am trying to not go that extreme when I'm outback...

ANY IDEAS WILL BE GREATLY APPRECIATED, KEEP THEM COMING:bigthumb:

Thanks heaps
Martin

Below is a map of the ideas I've been given so far, the distances are from where I live, on the Sunshine Coast (Alexandra Headland)

Each ring is 100km, to give a bit of an idea how far things are etc

Registered
nissan patrol mk
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I'm surprised, thought I'd have a few ideas already... This part of the forum doesn't seem like it's very active...

If anyone does have some good ideas, please post (I'm subscribed anyways, so I will read it :)

cheers guys
Martin

Registered
Nissan
Hi martin,

I know it's not inland QLD but for week away I like to go to cedar grove. Its in the amamoor state Forrest just south of gympie. Great camping area with a pebble based swimming hole with some great wheeling tracks.
Cheers
Troy

Registered
nissan
I am also very interested in the same.

Sorry I don't know much but you can go to your local tourist information and get some info about the national parks nearby.

Or maybe visit the new RM Williams Bush learning center in Eidsvold and find scenic drives on the way.

I am going to Fraser next weekend with family including mum.

Please share your experience when you come back mate!

Registered
nissan patrol mk
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the tip Troy :) That's a ripper of a spot hey! :)

Trapper, will do mate, it's leaning towards Carnarvon Gorge and Blackdown Tableland National Park, but I'm keen on more ideas :D

KEEP EM COMING GUYS :D

LED ZEPPELIN
1995 GQ TD42 NA
Hi martin,

I know it's not inland QLD but for week away I like to go to cedar grove. Its in the amamoor state Forrest just south of gympie. Great camping area with a pebble based swimming hole with some great wheeling tracks.
Cheers
Troy
Cedar Grove is closed at the moment... I haven't heard when it will be re-opened.

Sunday Creek Road from Cambroon to Jimna is also closed (landslips) but Peachtrees and Charlie Moreland/Booloumba Creek are open for camping.

Can't help with other destinations as I'm in the same boat as Martin :)

builder not a buyer!
nissan
great thread martin! ill be watching this one, we are trying to get in some day trips once a fortnight. but also looking for some great camping spots too.

cheers

Registered
nissan patrol GQ ute
If you are going towards carnarvon NP , go to Mt Moffat NP . It's next door to the west and there is about four camping areas and heaps of great tracks and lookouts. Carnarvon Gorge is a ripoff and I would not recommend anyone go unless they are really keen on seeing the gorge. Salvator Rosa NP is a nice spot too on the northern side.

Registered
nissan patrol mk
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the tips Sludge, how easy it is to get around to Mt Moffat?? (I'm sure I can convince the lady to come and check that out as well) It seems to be right around the corner in the same National Park? or do you have to drive via Injune?

Carnarvon will be awesome for us, missus wouldn't want to go wheelin' all day everyday anyways ;-) (see above criteria)

To the people who are in the same boat as me, I promise to do a write up on where ever we end up going :D I'll chuck it up on my website and create a link here :)

Chuckles, ideally I'd like to find a few spots to go and check out, got one in from Baudesert which looks super good for a weekender :) Where to go would obviously depends on the type of trip you're keen on ;-) Let me know if you find some weekenders, I'd be keen to come along for sure!! :bigthumb:

For me, I'm not looking for something that requires 10 inch lift, lockers, 45 inch creepies etc... As mentioned before, I go with my missus, who enjoys going bush, but not driving around in it all the time, when we're supposed to be relaxing ;-) I actually agree on this (4WD in and out of where ever, but fark sitting in a car everyday...)

For >>E X T R E M E<< wheeling, I'm lucky that I've got Glasshouse, sorta 20k away, which is far enough away if you've farked your car (no need to do that stuff when you're 1000k away from home, could end up being a very expensive trip, and tow home)

Keep the ideas coming :D

cheers
Martin

Registered
Mate, There are heaps of places to go within a day and get a little bit of off roading, you cn try Cania Gorge, the place is superB and there are few places to go around, as well. Good caravan park and a dam nearby to do some fishing if you are keen. Cania Gorge is around 5 hours from brizzy heading north. close to Monto.
That's just one... Give it a try

Cheers,

Patrolhead

Registered
nissan patrol mk
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Thanks for that tip Patrol_Head :) Looks great, and not that far away at all :D

I've created a map, it has distances to places suggested, these are from Alexandra Headland, but should give everyone a pretty good idea

Keep the ideas coming, I'll write something up about the places I go to, if there's an interest, we could gather all ideas and travel blogs somewhere, including photos etc?

I've updated my destination list on my home page for the time being :)
http://msdesigns.com.au/?q=4WDdestinations

Thanks again
Martin

builder not a buyer!
nissan
Martin, have been doing abut of reading on the Expedition National Park. It's north of Roma and looks very good.

Check it out mate and let me know?

Cheers

Premium Member
2003 ZD30 Di Patrol (The rare Gold one)
If you are going towards carnarvon NP , go to Mt Moffat NP . It's next door to the west and there is about four camping areas and heaps of great tracks and lookouts. Carnarvon Gorge is a ripoff and I would not recommend anyone go unless they are really keen on seeing the gorge. Salvator Rosa NP is a nice spot too on the northern side.

X2 on Mt Moffat. Great place with some pretty awesome sights. The camping there is first class.

Another place that would be worthy of a weeks trip would be Cania gorge. Stay at the tourist retreat. Cania Gorge Tourist Retreat - Caravans, Cabins, Camping. Good camping with all the ammenitys. You can do a day trip up to Kroombit Tops. The wreckage of a WW2 Plane is splattered all over the place up near the top. Its been preserved as a significant sight and all the planes bits are where they landed. a fair bit of low range can be expected on this trip.

Registered
nissan
We stumbled across this great little spot north of Hughenden last time we went from Winton to Charters Towers. Its called Porcupine Gorge NP and has a decent walk, a few camp sites, and a great water hole down in the gorge which our kids loved. We we going to stay overnight but stayed three, just for the peace and serenity. Also great for the photographs, as my wife is quite handy behind the Nikon. Not much 4x4 action, although the access road was quite corrugated. We did however find a few tracks here and there which were quite adventurous. Probably a long way to go just for a few nights, but perfect if you are travelling through or near the area like we were. It definitely hasn't got all the bells and whisles like Canarvon, but still we were pleasantly surprised.

Registered
Well i can tell ya, the Blackdown Tablelands probably isnt worth driving 8 hours.. I live in blackwater so only 20mins from there and the 4wd track up there, doesnt even require you to lock in the hubs.. However if looking at nature and waterfalls is your thing, then yeah hook in its real nice up there, but the "4wd" road is still closed due to all the rain at christmas.

Registered
Mt moffat is a fair drive from carnavan gorge you do have to go back though Injune ,its very different from the gorge lots of driving but very easy 4wd, lots of aboriginal paintings on some of the walking tracks very quiet bush camping usally your the only one there, far cry from carnavan gorge although the gorge itself is spectacular and well worth the walk.Camerons Corner is a good trip if you do it as a circuit though Innamincka and up though the Strzlecki desert and back though Windorah possable in 8 days

Registered
nissan patrol mk
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
thanks for the tips, I'll be sure to look into that spot JonesPatrol, my missus parent's live up that way, and I've always been keen on checking out the National Parks around there, as I've heard they are pretty spectacular :)

Registered
if coming up the coast road stop in at 1770 agnes waters deepwater national park head north to yeppoon head to five rocks Byield would be better then time spent at blackdown then head to cania though the kroombit tops see if this helps

Registered
nissan patrol mk
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
thanks Scotty, been to 1770/ Agnes Waters, it's a very nice little spot, especially as you can still get a wave in in the morning there :)

Five Rocks up at Yeppoon looks the goods, and I'd love to stop in there for a wheel, how much time is required to explore there?

More interestingly (only because I live on the coast already and go to Double Island for beach camping on a very regular basis) the two last spots, Cania Gorge was mentioned by Patrol_Head, looks really nice :) Things to see? Do? Tracks?

The Kroombit Tops, please tell me more, what can I expect? How much time to do a little explore etc? 4WD options? :D

This is turning out to be a nice little thread, thanks heaps tall who has contributed so far! Very Appreciated, and I'll update the map with the new destinations :bigthumb: KEEP EM COMING :D

1 - 20 of 22 Posts