Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
8,930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many here from the great sunshine / flood /cyclone state have fitted a turbo to thier natmo truck and not gotten it mod plated?

PS: this dont concern my GU in case anyone asks..... its all factory officer :)

·
Registered
nissan
1,181 Posts
I just wonder why "someone" (as we are not talking about you ;)) does not just get a mod plate for such a turbo conversion ?

I mean you could risk all sorts of legal issues (no insurance for a start)

And if i can put a 400hp Turbo engine into a 1300kg UC Sunbird, and pass all requirements to get a QLD mod plate easy, keeping everything legal, i cant see why getting a mod plate for Turboing a 2.5 Ton 4x4 would be a big problem at all ?

·
Registered
nissan
8,930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Of course you are not talking about me :)

They have a serious hate on for the DOT and dont want to pay money to automotive "engineers" and some public servant in short shorts and long socks to walk out of thier air conditioned office lean on the bonnet and sign a form without even looking at what they are meant to. If its $150ish to get a plate sure but more than that hell no.

As for insurance, as long as CTP isnt affected they couldnt care less.

·
Registered
nissan
1,181 Posts
My car met all the engineers requirements at the time of inspection, so the blue plate (mod plate) only cost me about $110 total, then DOT should only need to sight the mod plate fitted to the car and see the paperwork, and if they don't look at it, who cares ,at least the car is now legal ! :p

Might be worth having a chat to a engineer about it, he/she should be able to advise you on all costs before you spend anything, might be cheaper/easier than you think ?

·
Registered
nissan
8,930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hmm ok, will have to look at it.

I can engineer mods to machinery worth hundreds of million bucks carrying hundreds of people but I cant engineer a turbo to an old diesel.... :roll:

Who was the engineer you used?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts