Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
nissan patrol 89 tb42
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Merry Christmas, just asking the question what is the legal height in qld for a gq and does any one know the stanard heigth for a 89 gq tb 42 as the boys in blue keep pulling me over and asking how high does it have a body lift etc been fine once for tyres size , just had to go to the wreckers and change glove lids for one with duel size 750 r 16 or 31x10.5 r 15 on same sticker that throws them off a little bit as you ring qld transport it can only hve one third more travel then stanard which they cant tell me what is the stan. height cheers any help would be great

·
KICKEN BACK IN THE BUSH
nissan gq
4,690 Posts
Post up what ya lift is and your tyres
Tyre size should also be in the owners handbook

Go to QLD DOT website the tyre variation should be on there

·
Registered
nissan patrol 89 tb42
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thank for your replys im running 315 75 16 and a 8 inch lift ,frt locker ,side steps etc ive been lucky so far by the boys in blue and just told them it meets qld transport requirements as all they seem worried about is body lift which i dont have has anyone else being pulled over in qld cheers guys

·
4x4 Addiction
nissan
9,534 Posts
thank for your replys im running 315 75 16 and a 8 inch lift ,frt locker ,side steps etc ive been lucky so far by the boys in blue and just told them it meets qld transport requirements as all they seem worried about is body lift which i dont have has anyone else being pulled over in qld cheers guys
If you in or around Brisbane you will have issues, if you live else where in QLD you probably won't have any issues.

·
Registered
nissan
1,175 Posts
im running 315 75 16 and a 8 inch lift

8 inch lift !........ :shock::shock::shock:

I doubt if that would be legal anywhere in AU ?

It would have to attract attention that high, have you got any photos of your rig you could post ?

·
KICKEN BACK IN THE BUSH
nissan gq
4,690 Posts
8" lift legal in QLD
NEVER

Doesnt matter what you tell the boys in blue or transport dept
You get fined or front up to main roads for an inspection youll have to rectify your rig
Oh at your cost

You drive around you get caught your problem
I doubt an insurance company would cover a claim if your in an accident

·
Registered
nissan
455 Posts
as said a 2' suspension and a dot approved 2' body lift is the biggest you can go, and 33's aren't legal, i believe 1.5 times the stock tyre size is the max you can go. And yes if your in an accident be prepared to pay the full costs

·
Registered
259 Posts
Cut and paste from a thread i have going on an other forum.

Here the link to the RWC COP,
The links are for sections 2 and 3, section 1 is for administration guide lines.

If after you read through them you have any questions, as an approved inspector I am happy to give you advice based on my interpretation of the section of code in question. (my self and 4x4play will not be held accountable for any losses, issues ect encountered by following the advice given)

http://www.tmr.qld.gov.au/~/media/safety/vehicle-standards-and-modifications/vehicle-modifications/industry-codes-of-practice/pdf_veh_stds_ais_codeofpractice_section2_feb2004.pdf

http://www.tmr.qld.gov.au/~/media/safety/vehicle-standards-and-modifications/vehicle-modifications/industry-codes-of-practice/pdf_veh_stds_ais_codeofpractice_section3_feb2004.pdf

the next link is a PDF version of the modifications booklet available from QLD transport.
It contains enough information about wheel, tyre and suspension modifications to keep you pointed in the right direction. There is no vehicle specific information in the booklet, You will to research the standard measurements and options for you 4x4 and apply the rules to that info.

http://tmr.qld.gov.au/~/media/safety/vehicle-standards-and-modifications/vehicle-modifications/light-vehicle-modifications/pdf_modification_motor_vehicles2.pdf

The light vehicles modifications code of practice IS NOW AVAILABLE AS A FREE DOWNLOAD
http://tmr.qld.gov.au/~/media/safety/vehicle-standards-and-modifications/vehicle-modifications/light-vehicle-modifications/codeofpracticelightvehiclesreductions.pdf

Just to %100 clarify suspension mods.
here is the wording of the code.

Suspension modifications to light vehicles (under 4.5 t GVM) with a separate chassis are
permitted under Vehicle Standards Bulletin No.6 ? Heavy Vehicle Modifications. However, no
deviation from this code is permitted unless specifically authorised by Queensland Transport.

and here is VSB 6
http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/roads/vehicle_regulation/bulletin/pdf/vsb_06_f.pdf

This is what most people have been asking, Can i fit a 2 inch body lift AND a suspensions lift.

AIS INFORMATION SHEET No. 18
FITTING OF BODY LIFT KITS AND SUSPENSION
HEIGHT MODIFICATIONS TO MOTOR VEHICLES
A number of queries have been received by Queensland Transport in relation to the
permissible maximum heights that a motor vehicle can be raised.
Body Lift Kits
The maximum allowable height increase permitted by Queensland Transport has been set at
50 millimetres (2 inches).
Suspension Height Modifications
The suspension travel in the bump or rebound mode must not be altered by more than onethird
of that measurement as specified by the original manufacturer.
These limits have been set after taking into consideration the following aspects of
modifications of this type:
? stability characteristics of the vehicle;
? strength of componentry being utilised;
? the road holding ability and handling characteristics of the modified vehicle;
? braking characteristics of the modified vehicle; and
? the wheels and tyres fitted to this vehicle must comply with the requirements of the
Transport Operations (Road Use Management - Vehicle Standards and Safety)
Regulation 1999.
It should be noted that both modifications can be performed simultaneously to a vehicle to
gain extra vehicle body height but individual specifications must not be exceeded.

Modifiers may have to obtain the original bump stop clearance to calculate the allowable acceptable
increase.
A policy in relation to this matter has now been finalised and will require:
? An individual vehicle modification application to be made to Queensland Transport for
body lift kits (blocks between body/cabin and chassis mounts) up to 50 mm in
height. Applications must indicate all changes being made to implement the
modification (including steering and braking componentry) and materials used in the
lifting blocks. Body lifts in excess of 50 mm will not be considered.
If acceptable, a letter of approval for the installation of a body lift kit will be issued by
Queensland Transport.

? Suspension height modifications carried out in accordance with good engineering
practice will be considered acceptable where the suspension travel in the bump or
rebound mode is not altered by more than one-third of that measurement as specified
by the original manufacturer. A vehicle modification application will not be required.
This onus is on the modifier/owner of the modified vehicle to ensure these standards are
satisfied.
Modifications where leaf springs are remounted from under axle to over axle are not
regarded as an acceptable form of suspension modification and will not be approved.
The vehicle modifier is responsible for ensuring that the vehicle is modified in accordance
with relevant standards and recognized automotive practice.
Please Note:
If, at the time of inspection, any vehicles display signs of non compliance with these
standards, the vehicle is to be rejected. The vehicle owner/operator can be directed to have
the installation comply with the required standard and/or obtain relevant approval
documentation.

TIRES
no such thing as engineering larger tires in QLD, It' plus 15mm diameter no exceptions.

This next bit is GQ patrol specific:
Will also be usefull for any other 4x4 that has the option of running a 750R16 tire

33KM2s are legal on a technicality. and you would have to have the info on hand to get it past.
BF list them as 826mm (32.5inch) tall
750R16 is the tallest stock tire,
Yokohamas Y735b light truck tire in the 750R16 size is listed as being 812mm. So the KM2 in a 33 is only 14mm over, making it legal.

Last edited by patrol_brad on Sat Sep 18, 2010 9:11 pm; edited 6 times in total

1 - 10 of 10 Posts