Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
G'day all

About to start some electrical work on the GU, and seeing as it is a nicer car than the old Mav, I thought I would buy some decent terminals and what not for it.

What's some good brands of terminals these days?

Just general ones for UHF's and the like.

Not sure I trust going to Supercheap\Autobarn any more they seem to stock only the cheapest **** they can get:rolleyes:

·
Registered
Nissan Navara d21
96 Posts
narva are good but pricey i think there worth it. i would be looking online for a set alot cheaper then buying at super cheap

·
Registered
nissan patrol
61 Posts
Narva kits are good and cost effective. They have a kit for around 45 bucks that has a good assortment of terminals (dont use the wire taps in it though, they are rubbish). Get as set of their crimpers as well if you can afford it. It will give a good result.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
237 Posts
+1 on getting decent crimping tools.

I buy a lot of my auto electrical gear from ashdown-ingrams, they've got a set that has heat shrink terminals which are nice to use.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
425 Posts
Yepp narva all the way but ditch the scotch clamps as they are rubbish and a fire hazard!

Scotch clamps duly named...they are a cheap alternative for a properly cut and shut connector.

·
Registered
GU Patrol
160 Posts
One thing i'd def recommend....even tho you're gonna use good terminals, dont just crimp them...solder them. I hate working on a car and seeing crimped terminals (or twisted and taped wires haha). I probably go overkill (i even solder speaker wires onto speakers lol) but they are soooo much stronger and ya know it's not likely for them to come apart.

I use narva terminals, havent really used any others. Just bought them from the start and never had any problems. I strip the coloured insulation off all terminals before i use em so i can solder em.

But yeah soldering EVERYTHING is the way to go! I use a dick smiths temperature controlled soldering station...was about 100 bux. Have used it ALOT over the last 5 or so years. Probably the most used tool in my shed lol

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
We use good qualty crimpers, never solder it melfs the 7nsulation on the crimps

·
Registered
nissan
812 Posts
narva terminals are crap
the metal they use is thin so where the crimp part is that wraps round
the wire to hold it and get a good connection is not as tight as id like it to be

quick crimp terminals are much better and even their insulated terminals have more metal on them than the cheap chinese stuff that narva sells

use the narva white connectors if u want but don't use their terminals
find a decent auto electrical supplier and et quick crimp ones

I know a guy in qld and a guy in nsw who sells the better stuff

or if u have abit more cash than most of us buy a kit of deustch plugs and crimpers
u cant go wrong there

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,893 Posts

·
Registered
Nissan
1,243 Posts
Narva terminals are fine. Theres hundreds of auto sparkys using them everyday all over oz. Make sure you use the proper ratchet crimping pliers not the ****ty ones

·
Registered
9,570 Posts
I recently got a decent set of Narva crimping pliers with four sets of jaws for each different type of terminals. Tools - Products - Narva

This is the Professional tool, you can get for about $120 from and auto store or $89 from ebay.
Narva Battery Terminal Crimper 50Amp Anderson Plug Crimp LUG Cable Tool 56513 | eBay

Products

Also for large battery terminals:
Products
or this one which is for stainless steel cable swages but does a great job on big battery terminals:
Kincrome 600mm Swagging Tool With Wire Cutter I/N 5520067 | Bunnings Warehouse

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks lads.

Have the right type of ratcheting crimper, or at least an expensive US one:D

Will keep the Narva V Quick Crimp in mind when I go and buy some:cool:

I am assuming Tycab is still the goto wire for quality if not bank balance.

·
Registered
nissan
812 Posts

·
Registered
nissan patrol GQ
8,025 Posts
I use these on everything. So much better then the other connectors on the market. Yes they are a little expensive but they seal up well, lock in and can be separated easily. It is a must to have the correct crimpers for these though.

10 SET X 9005 9006 Male AMP Connectors Connector HID Plug Socket | eBay

10 SET X 9005 9006 Female AMP Connectors Connector HID Plug Socket | eBay

Cheers Mick
ditto. much cheaper in bags of 100 though :) I bought a stack of them 12 months ago and haven't made a dent :)

plus I invested in a decent barrel crimper

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,893 Posts
Yes bulk is best and if you can find a few mates wanting the same thing you can do a bit of a group buy. I usually find freight costs are more then the parts when it comes to these sort of things. If you buy 20 or 1000 the freight doesn't vary much. lol

·
Registered
nissan
382 Posts
1 - 20 of 36 Posts