Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
nissan patrol 2010 ST Diesel
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
Have had our Patrol since July 2010. It is a 3.0litre diesel and we are towing a caravan that has an ATM of 2116kg and a ball weight of 180kg. We are using a hayman reece WDH (250Kg). Our hitch is a DO35 by vehicle components.
My question is - when we hitch up the van and use the WDH - the van is level but the Patrol looks like it is down at the back. The front seems light when driving.
Do we need to put slightly tougher springs into the car? We have checked the tyre pressures on car and van, have ensured that the hitch and van are level prior to hitching up.
All help will be appreciated.
Darryl and Barb

·
Autos are Superior
11,601 Posts
Your wacking a large weight on the car, you can only expect it to drop. Do you load the rear of the car up as well, or is the cargo area empty?

Your options are as you state heavier suspension, 1-2inch lift in rear only or airbags in the rear to take some weight, although people have had issues with these causing damage elsewhere in the car.

With heavier suspension in the rear, i will ride rougher without a load in it as it lightens up.

FWIW heavier suspension is probably the easiest.

·
Part of the furniture around here
nissan
19,171 Posts
If you're using standard suspension, then there's your problem. First thing to do is to get rid of it. Lot's of options and opinions available, but I've always gone for the ARB (OME) 50mm suspension lift (which keeps it legal and insurable) with the comfort shocks (for great ride comfort loaded or not). I tow a camper that's somewhere under 1500kg, but the towball weight is pretty heavy because of the two 140A batteries near the front, plus tool box (very little sag).

Cheers

Ray

·
Registered
nissan gu
1,188 Posts
if you are running with the van a fair bit, then get new suspention but get a tow pack or a if you want softer rear springs have them fitted with poly airbags.

·
Registered
nissan
8,921 Posts
Hi all,
Have had our Patrol since July 2010. It is a 3.0litre diesel and we are towing a caravan that has an ATM of 2116kg and a ball weight of 180kg. We are using a hayman reece WDH (250Kg). Our hitch is a DO35 by vehicle components.
My question is - when we hitch up the van and use the WDH - the van is level but the Patrol looks like it is down at the back. The front seems light when driving.
Do we need to put slightly tougher springs into the car? We have checked the tyre pressures on car and van, have ensured that the hitch and van are level prior to hitching up.
Darryl and Barb
Sounds like your from exploroz....

·
Registered
84 Posts
Hi all,
Darryl and Barb
I tow a 3t off-road van with my 2008 CRD on standard suspension and tyres except for Polyair bags in the rear set to 25 psi when towing. The last trip included Great Central Rd, Plenty Hwy, Donahue Hwy, Birdsville, Savannah Way And Gibb River Rd without any problems and no punctures. Handling is very good on all surfaces. Put air bags in the back and really try the Patrol before replacing anything.

·
Registered
489 Posts
The stock Nissan suspension aside from being soft is pretty crap in terms of handling, over broken surfaces or corrugations the shocks simply cannot keep up & the springs are just designed for a bunch of folks & suitcases only....
Do yourselves a favour & go to ARB (Like Ray said) & get them to replace the whole lot - you won't be sorry. Whole job should cost no more than $1500 including upgraded steering stabiliser & castor kit if required.
You won't beleive the ride improvement over bumpy roads/potholes etc, even behaves better in the supermarket carpark over the speed humps....lol (serious)
I had this system in my 2006 Patrol & now have the same in my 2010. I have the constant 200 rear springs along with Nitrocharger Sport shocks all round. My front springs are actually heavier than specified for a 3ltr, instead rated for a 6 cylinder diesel Patrol but this was because I have steel bull bar, side rails/steps, winch, dual battery etc etc.
I tow an off road camper with a reasonably heavy drawbar along with all the gear loaded into the back including fridge, Black Widow drawers & a 145ltr long range tank underneath. The rear of the Patrol probably drops only around 20mm when the Camper goes on and still leaves the whole rig pretty level.
Good luck.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.