Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

Currently I'm in possession of a truck that is costing me a fortune to keep on the road, and after a lot of thought, I've decided to go for a Nissan Patrol GU or a Land Cruiser 80. I'm tempted by the Cruiser because of their legendary reputation, but have also heard the Nissans are cheaper to maintain, so I'll likely go for the Patrol.

The issue is, I'm a bit lost as to which one to go for. I've heard that the 2.8 and 3.0ltr diesels are disasters waiting to happen, but at the same time I've heard that the 4.5 is a thirsty beast.

So my question is, which one would be my best bet considering that I'm not drowning in money? The cheaper to run diesels with the potential of exploding? Or the tougher, but much more expensive petrol? Or maybe the Cruiser better suits my needs?

My budget of purchase is about $10,000AU

Thanks,

Bill

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,269 Posts
Have a read of the sticky I put at the top of this section, explains it all. That was written in 2015 and not much has changed except for our knowledge base which just confirms earlier thoughts.

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,269 Posts
Hey i cant find it can you please link me mate if you dont mind thank you.
Ahh! there you are, I thought I had mistakenly deleted your second post instead of approving it :confused: but you had just changed to a different thread. Anyway 05_ENFORCER had put up the link previously in the post before yours, it is at the top of the page this thread is in.

·
Registered
nissan
225 Posts
The issue is, I'm a bit lost as to which one to go for. I've heard that the 2.8 and 3.0ltr diesels are disasters waiting to happen, but at the same time I've heard that the 4.5 is a thirsty beast.
the 4.5 petrol is indeed a gas guzzler, even more so than the 80 series 4.5 which i had before, but couldn't afford to run the damn thing lol

the early 3.0 are what's known as the hand grenade motor, definitely not the best option especially at the age they are now. they got much better after i think (?) series 4, or the CRD update.

i personally have a 2.8. they get a lot of stick for being slow and underpowered (they are) but it really depends on what you are used to/what you are looking to do with it. with a few mods they go just fine if you arent planning to tow a huge caravan with it, and as long as basic maintenance is kept up, and most importantly the coolant temp is managed and it isn't overheated (alloy head diesel), they are really very reliable. mine has done nearly 400,000 with no issues at all, save the usual small things that come with age while trying to maintain it (stripped bolts and stuck hoses etc)

the main thing would be at this age the injector pump would most likely be quite worn out, so if you can find a 2.8 that has had this replaced in the near future its a plus, as it's a very expensive part.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts